• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice needed from fellow board members

73 posts in this topic

We're also just coming off a very busy Con season, with ECCC, C2E2, Megacon, and Wondercon. The dealer might have been traveling to all of the shows, and may not have had time to respond. Now that Wondercon is over, things might slow down a bit. :wishluck:

I would hold off on outing anyone until he responds and tells you to jump in a lake. A rear back cover trim on a low grade book is something 98.3% of dealers and collectors won't be able to detect upon a visual inspection (and isn't something you'd expect).

Ok, so after a few more weeks and several attempts on my part as well as Steve Borock, I have still not gotten a response from the dealer who sold me this book. He has been contacted by Steve and I via phone, email, Facebook, and text. Sadly, I am going to go forward with the information on the dealer, book, and when/where it was bought in the hopes that someone on the boards will know how to contact him and hopefully help me with a resolution to this problem.

Please, I do not want this to become a flame war...I am only putting this information on the boards because I have spent over 2 months and exhausted all options in trying to contact the dealer about this book. Sadly, I do not know what else to do...especially after the huge help Steve has been in assisting me and having still come up empty.

The info is as follows:

The book I bought is a TOS #39. It was bought from Graham Cracker Comics at the New York Comic Con back on October 9th, 2010. I bought the book directly from Jaime Graham, after looking at two different low grade TOS 39's, both were being sold to me as 2.0/2.5's which after inspection from my somewhat beginner eyes, looked correct. It was raw, which made me hesitant, but I was ensured that there would be no problems with the book. I also noted that I've seen Graham Cracker Comics at almost all of the CON's I've been to and that made me feel a bit better knowing they were a larger dealer. I explained that my plan was to sub the book for Stan Lee's signature once an opp popped up on the boards. So, I chose one of the books and I used my credit card to pay so that I would have a record of the sale, just in case.

So, Sean, or NYComics, posted up a thread about the Masters2 signing and I sent the book to him to add Stan's sig and have it graded. I received a message from Sean about the books noting that the TOS 39 came back trimmed at the top. Plus, the book only came back at a 1.0, not the 2.0/2.5. I could live with the lower grade, but the trimmed part is a no go.

So, I called around to the different Graham Cracker Comics stores until I found the one that Jaime frequented the most. I've since left numerous messages with a person by the name of Mike Wall, the store manager. I've explained my situation every time, given all my info, the fact that I have proof of purchase since it was bought with my CC, and that I would like to speak with Jaime about remedying the situation. I've been told each and every time that Jaime would call me back immediately and I am still waiting. At this point it is my opinion that I am being avoided.

After discussing my situation with a few friends on the boards it was suggested that I make an anonymous post on the forum and seek out some help with my situation. I did so, and Steve was gracious enough to jump on board and help me in contacting Jaime. Steve has been a huge help and kept me up to date over the last few weeks in his numerous attempts at getting a response. Jaime has not yet responded to Steve either and I'm at a point where I truly do not know what else to do. So, I've decided to put this infomation out here in hopes that someone will know how to contact him and help me resolve this.

Do I contact my credit card company and attempt a charge back? Would this be a good enough reason? HOW do I get a hold of Jaime? I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could help me. I am out the money for the book, grading, and the signing since I do not collect restored books. :mad: In the end, even if I go get screwed on this, the boards are aware at least. Thank you all in advance for your time and assistance.

Jamie

I hope you contact your credit card company...someone mentioned a year, but I'm not sure that is the case with all the companies. I was under the impression it was a shorter time period, but it might depend on your carrier.

You need to do that now, to cover yourself...or at least try.

I hope you contact your credit card company...someone mentioned a year, but I'm not sure that is the case with all the companies. I was under the impression it was a shorter time period, but it might depend on your carrier.

You need to do that now, to cover yourself...or at least try.

I totally agree. I don't see how it could hurt to talk to the CC folks and see what they can do for you.

Sorry about this man...

Since the name is out there, I would track his con schedule and see where it overlaps with some of the members here. Ask a board member to put a letter in his hand. If that's done, then you know he at least got the message.

At that point you make the decision on the chargeback with all the information, and take the customer service argument out of the equation. In any case, this sounds like a cluster, so you'd think he's want it resolved. But, you never know what's going on in their shop. My opinion (and I'm not the one on the sticky end of the deal) is to be cautious and be sure, then do everything possible to screw them in the future if you find out they are truly at fault.

Of course, I am a hit of a hard-.

Get a hold of your CC company fast. Sorry to hear this simple issue couldn't be resolved. Kudos to you for trying to work it out. Kudos to Steve for being a class act and offering up his time and assistance.

Hope it works out for you :wishluck:

HOW do I get a hold of Jaime? I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could help me.

He seems to be very aware any time someone says something bad about them on these message boards, so my guess is you'll see him pop up any minute now. hm

I hope everything goes well for you. Good luck in getting it resolved.

As was said before call your cc company.

Sometimes bad things happen to good people.This is one of those cases.I have no idea if he got those messages but common sense says he did.

Also a real drag to spend money on a grading fee and sig on a book you dont even want.

Best of luck on a resolution thats fair.

Dennis

I have been in contact with my CC company today and after I fax a letter to them the charge will be in dispute. I'm really disappointed it had to come to this. I would have very much preferred to have resolved this between the two of us. Really makes me hesitant to ever buy an expensive raw book again. I know its a low grade book, but I'm out more than half of what I spent on it. And after over three months of trying to contact Jaime Graham, both myself and Steve, there is absolutely no way he is not avoiding me. Phone calls, texts, FB messages...what else can I do to get in contact with him?

Anyone have any suggestions on how I describe to the CC company what the book is actually worth VS what I paid? Can I quote GPA and print the pricing info?

HOW do I get a hold of Jaime? I would be eternally grateful to anyone who could help me.

He seems to be very aware any time someone says something bad about them on these message boards, so my guess is you'll see him pop up any minute now. hm

Doesn't he seem to have some sort of issue on the boards a couple times a year? Or am I thinking about somebody else. I KNOW I've read something less than positive about him here before...

You have made ample effort to contact the seller to resolve the situation. Do what you can to get a chargeback on your card and don't feel bad about it.

The seller either has heard about the situation or he should have done. If he hasn't heard then it his own fault due to not properly managing or employing someone to properly manage the affairs of his business.

Ok, so I've been PM'd by several boardies warning me that threads like this have popped up about Jaime Graham before and have been magically deleted. Should I be worried? I do not want this thread deleted...not for the bashing but for the help that you forum members provide. :(

Anyone have any suggestions on how I describe to the CC company what the book is actually worth VS what I paid? Can I quote GPA and print the pricing info?

Didn't you say that you have the actual receipt? Surely the receipt should be adequate for the CC company to accept?

Doesn't he seem to have some sort of issue on the boards a couple times a year? Or am I thinking about somebody else. I KNOW I've read something less than positive about him here before...

I've got plenty of less than positive things to say about him but no one wants to read a six page post.

Didn't you say that you have the actual receipt? Surely the receipt should be adequate for the CC company to accept?

I do have the receipt along with my CC statement showing the charge. They would like some information on what the book is worth NOW at the trimmed and lower grade state. I am going to print the GPA information and include it in my letter. Seems that's the best information I can come up with. Any other ideas?

I've got plenty of less than positive things to say about him but no one wants to read a six page post.

I don't think you're alone in that. I know I've read plenty about him. Hence the reason, he'll never get a dime from me. Too many good guys in the world to hand my money over to a shyster.