• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Advice needed from fellow board members

73 posts in this topic

Hello all, I need some advice. I recently, in the last few months, purchased a Marvel silver-age key in low grade condition. I’ve been wanting this book forever and the idea was to buy it raw, and submit it for Stan Lee’s signature. So, I made the purchase from a well known dealer, at well known convention and held onto the book until a signing made itself available. I recently got the book back from CGC and it came back a bit lower than expected, which I could live with. My problem is that the book also came back trimmed on the top.

Long story short, I have called and attempted to contact the dealer about this book in hopes of a refund or some sort of compensation or correction and I’m having no luck reaching them. I have left several messages over the last two, almost three weeks with employees in hopes of a response and I’m continually being told that the dealer is flying around to different conventions. My problem is that I’ve been told numerous times that a text or immediate phone call was being made to this dealer and as of yet, I have heard nothing.

I paid for this book with a credit card so that I could note the transaction and have a receipt of the purchase. A discussion was had about any restoration and I was guaranteed that the book was fine. So, what do I do now? I’m keeping this as vague as possible because I know how touchy this kind of thing is and I DO NOT want to make a huge mess out of it. I would very much appreciate PM’s from some of the experienced members of the boards with some advice on what I should do.

I have checked my CC statement to confirm the amount, date, and log of the purchase and this information has been explained to the employee I have spoken with. Can I contact my CC company and dispute the charge? (Issue being I do have the book in hand, regardless of the resto issue) Do I continue my calls in hopes I get a response? I really don’t want to get into the mess of outing someone on the boards but I’m really becoming frustrated and I could use some help. I know that any issues I’ve had in the past got a response from other dealers same day, or within a day or two. Any advice would be VERY much appreciated. Thank you.

Nothing would get their attention faster than a chargeback, if that's possible. That would also probably be the last transaction done with said dealer. How much of an adjustment are you seeking?

Nothing would get their attention faster than a chargeback.

I agree. You can dispute a charge up to a year from the date of purchase. I would call the credit card company today.

+1 At the very least you would likely get a call back from the dealer, and it might impress upon said dealer the dangers of (probably unknowingly) selling trimmed books as unrestored and then not returning phone calls from unhappy customers. And if his employees aren't giving him the messages they would likely get chewed out in the process.

Out the Scoundrel :devil:

You own a store, a vase is sold and gift wrapped. Three weeks later an employee of the store gets a phone call from the customer who explains that when the box was opened, the vase turned out to be a different manufacturer then he paid for. The employee says they will pass along the message. Three weeks pass and after multiple attempts to contact the owner there is no response.

If you have been sending emails to the owners personal email or leaving messages on his cell phone, then you can assume that the owner is ignoring you, and I say flame away.

If you don't know that the owner is aware and is well respected, you may want to give the benefit of the doubt and do what you chose to do, and not out the person.

That said, at some point it falls on the owner that they have mess employees who don't care, or no customer service protocols in place and then again by all means flame away.

Let Steve work his magic.

I agree. If Steve can't help you resolve the situation, then out the . And keep an eye on the year deadline for the chargeback.

Hello all, I need some advice. I recently, in the last few months, purchased a Marvel silver-age key in low grade condition. I’ve been wanting this book forever and the idea was to buy it raw, and submit it for Stan Lee’s signature. So, I made the purchase from a well known dealer, at well known convention and held onto the book until a signing made itself available. I recently got the book back from CGC and it came back a bit lower than expected, which I could live with. My problem is that the book also came back trimmed on the top.

Long story short, I have called and attempted to contact the dealer about this book in hopes of a refund or some sort of compensation or correction and I’m having no luck reaching them. I have left several messages over the last two, almost three weeks with employees in hopes of a response and I’m continually being told that the dealer is flying around to different conventions. My problem is that I’ve been told numerous times that a text or immediate phone call was being made to this dealer and as of yet, I have heard nothing.

I paid for this book with a credit card so that I could note the transaction and have a receipt of the purchase. A discussion was had about any restoration and I was guaranteed that the book was fine. So, what do I do now? I’m keeping this as vague as possible because I know how touchy this kind of thing is and I DO NOT want to make a huge mess out of it. I would very much appreciate PM’s from some of the experienced members of the boards with some advice on what I should do.

I have checked my CC statement to confirm the amount, date, and log of the purchase and this information has been explained to the employee I have spoken with. Can I contact my CC company and dispute the charge? (Issue being I do have the book in hand, regardless of the resto issue) Do I continue my calls in hopes I get a response? I really don’t want to get into the mess of outing someone on the boards but I’m really becoming frustrated and I could use some help. I know that any issues I’ve had in the past got a response from other dealers same day, or within a day or two. Any advice would be VERY much appreciated. Thank you.

Sorry about your troubles on this transaction.It sucks to get your grail and have it not meet your expectations.

Good luck on a speedy resolution.

Let Steve work his magic.

I agree. If Steve can't help you resolve the situation, then out the . And keep an eye on the year deadline for the chargeback.

+1

Sorry about your troubles on this transaction.It sucks to get your grail and have it not meet your expectations.

Good luck on a speedy resolution.

Are you sure Stan Lee didn't trim the book? If I was a dealer, I'm not sure how I'd feel about getting the book back after you went and got it Sig Series signed. hm

Here's hoping a happy end to the transaction between the two of you :sumo: Probably a partial cash return to you based upon the delta in value between the raw grade you were sold and the trimmed value of the book in hand, (if you'd still keep it), vs a return of the book and payment to you of the cost to slab, ship, sig series etc.

I'm interested to see how this one plays out. Post up the resolution. Good luck again.

I have an ASM 1 that I submitted that came back trimmed along the top edge. Didn't see that coming, and still not sure if they're right, but that's what the slab says. It's still a sweet 3.0 and I don't mind it in the collection, at least until I get a 7.0 or higher in an estate sale for under $500.