• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Writers anyone?

26 posts in this topic

I had the immense pleasure of meeting and chatting with Chris Claremont this past Saturday. (It was at one of two most pathetic of cons (expos) we have in Melbourne during the year! :cry:)

Last year it was Marv Wolfman!

It got me thinking, who would be my favourite 'writer' in the comic book field?

Chris Claremont? Peter David? . Maybe Neil Gaiman?

Dennis O'Neil maybe?

Stan Lee did pen some great stories during his reign at Marvel, but how does his writing stack up today?

Who is, or was, your favourite scribe?

Who do you think has done the most to raise the bar of writing in comics?

That is very hard..I like to sit and chat with writers if they are not busy and so many are interesting and some would tell me the neatest stories about characters and storylines they have written it would be hard to say..

Some are so passionate about comics and had fun with their work ..

Marv Wolfman has some interesting tales to tell as well ;)

cannot really choose just one

Chris Claremont was my favorite writer back in the day. Joss Whedon, Neil Gaiman, Frank Miller these days, I suppose.

I used to like JMS, but I heard he went off the rails on Thor after my other favorite comic writer Walt Simonson ended his run.

That is very hard..I like to sit and chat with writers if they are not busy and so many are interesting and some would tell me the neatest stories about characters and storylines they have written it would be hard to say..

Some are so passionate about comics and had fun with their work ..

Marv Wolfman has some interesting tales to tell as well ;)

cannot really choose just one

So which one do you think did most to elevate comic books to a higher level of writing?

Neil Gaiman's run on Sandman come's to mind. It was read by a lot of non-comic readers. (If that makes sense!)

Dennis O'Neil's run on GL/GA?

Reading the events in the Thor wiki after Simonson ended his run make me not want to pick up those issues. I'm out of the loop on Thor after the mid eighties, but the general storyline as described make it seem like a train wreck.

I'm not impugning JMS' writing ability, I was a fan of Babylon 5 back in the day, etc. and I've actually met him at Science Fiction conventions. Nice guy.

So you can disregard my reaction to his run, as this is stuff I'm reading about second hand...

This may sound weird as he is generally considered an artist, but I would love to chat with Jim Starlin about his Captain Marvel run, Warlock run, the Dreadstar saga, Batman work (The Cult, Death of Robin), the two Breed series (and the new one coming out), a LSH story he wrote and drew and even his Gigamesh II and The Weird.

After that... Maybe Peter Milligan or Grant Morrison.

my fave writer is that of whatever books I am currently reading & enjoying the most at the time I am reading them :D

If I had to pick between a couple just off the top of my head would bee...

Kirkman & joe hill

Denny O'Neil wrote possibly my favourite run on Batman so he's high on my list. But for today? I think Steve Niles is hard to top.

It would be nice to sit down and talk with Roger Stern.

He's written some of my favorite comics.

Doctor Strange 55, Captain America 247-255, Doctor Strange and Doctor Doom: Triumph and Torment...

It would be cool to hear what he has to say about the process.

Steve Gerber, Steve Englehart, Chris Claremont and Jim Starlin. In more recent times, Grant Morrisson, Peter Milligan, Garth Ennis and Alan Moore. Currently, probably Ed Brubaker.

All of these writers had their own individual spin on the medium whilst totally respecting it, and more than once pushed the envelope.

Steve Gerber, Steve Englehart, Chris Claremont and Jim Starlin. In more recent times, Grant Morrisson, Peter Milligan, Garth Ennis and Alan Moore. Currently, probably Ed Brubaker.

All of these writers had their own individual spin on the medium whilst totally respecting it, and more than once pushed the envelope.

That's a great list.