• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow, some people are real tough to please on Ebay

150 posts in this topic

IMO, I doesn't really matter. The next handful of stars will wipe it out. I have the Saturday problem too as my post office closes at 11AM now. I try not to have auctions ending on Friday. I normally do my auctions to end on Sunday.

Communication is key.

Exactly, 99 percent of the times why buyers leave a neg are usually seller has poor communication skills with emails and poor shipping practices (either seller takes his time shipping the product or seller overcharges for the shipping).

Usually if those two things are taken care of then no neutrals or negatives will be left.

Like Dice says... One neutral feedback out of 232 transactions... who cares, you're golden.

Not that it really matters. Many buyers don't even look at feedback and then are shocked that their transaction went wrong.

To be fair, 10 days to ship is too long. I wouldn't neg or neut someone who was slow shipping if they apologized but I might give low marks on the shipping score.

It didn't take him 10 days to ship, it took it 10 total days to arrive. If you think that is too long, you wouldn't be happy buying from me.

I do alot on ebay, but honestly, sometimes my kids are sick, or it is a pretty day, and I go play golf. I just can't put someone sitting out there worrying whether they get there book in 5 days or 7 days or 10 days as a big concern. Seriously, in a few days, they won't even remember anyway. In the overall scheme of things, they have their book and there is no difference at all.

What sucks is that ebay promotes this type of thinking.

As a buyer, I don't expect , obviously. eBay sellers are all over the board and I am not surprised if I receive something in two days or two weeks. Any longer than that and I start to get nervous, though.

As a seller, however, once I have the buyer's money, their package goes out the next day - no exceptions. I can't think of one time that I missed sending something the day after. I realize not everyone thinks the same way as I do, but if I have their cash, I just can't justify not sending out their stuff ASAP. It's almost as much for my peace of mind as it is to get them their stuff on time. I just don't want to keep thinking 'Man, I still have to mail that dude's stuff' until I actually get around to it. Drives me nuts. I guess, if anything, it's kept me from getting neutrals/negatives and nicks on my shipping stars.

2c

Im used to most everything taking a minimum of 1 month to arrive to me. So at 30 days I will message the seller. I cant believe people complain so quickly.

Just a few days ago a sketch I bought was at 30 days, I filed an ebay report thing. Turns out the package was never found after being dropped off at the sellers Post Office, and the seller gave me a full refund.

Do those star rating really hurt that much? If so, thats really stupid.

I rarely give 5 stars in every category...

5 stars means they went above and beyond; items arrived faster than promised, packed better than expected.

4 stars means you didn't screw anything up and stuff arrived timely...

3 stars means you did the bare minimum for a transaction. I didn't have to pester you, but stuff took longer than it probably should, etc.

and so on...

if 5-stars is the standard, what's the point of a 5 point scale? Just make it 2 stars; pass/fail.

*shrug*

As a buyer, I don't expect , obviously. eBay sellers are all over the board and I am not surprised if I receive something in two days or two weeks. Any longer than that and I start to get nervous, though.

As a seller, however, once I have the buyer's money, their package goes out the next day - no exceptions. I can't think of one time that I missed sending something the day after. I realize not everyone thinks the same way as I do, but if I have their cash, I just can't justify not sending out their stuff ASAP. It's almost as much for my peace of mind as it is to get them their stuff on time. I just don't want to keep thinking 'Man, I still have to mail that dude's stuff' until I actually get around to it. Drives me nuts. I guess, if anything, it's kept me from getting neutrals/negatives and nicks on my shipping stars.

2c

Well, to keep things in perspective, I generally ship within just a day or two. But there are times if a weekend is in between, it might be 4 days before I ship. And you just never know how long something might take with the post office.

I was not trying to justify something taking a month to get there. But 8 - 10 days, even a couple of weeks is extremely reasonable.

5 stars means they went above and beyond; items arrived faster than promised, packed better than expected.

3 stars means you did the bare minimum for a transaction. I didn't have to pester you, but stuff took longer than it probably should, etc.

and so on...

if 5-stars is the standard, what's the point of a 5 point scale? Just make it 2 stars; pass/fail.

*shrug*

Yes, the star ratings determine how much if any discounts the guy gets off seller fees. Helps sellers keep their prices as low as possible.

The DSR ratings actually count much more than actual feedback.

Yes, the star ratings determine how much if any discounts the guy gets off seller fees. Helps sellers keep their prices as low as possible.

The DSR ratings actually count much more than actual feedback.

Wow..

That's a horrific business model. :o

WTF is wrong with a basic buyers premium like every other auction site on the planet?

well, your Ebay ad said delivery in 4-5 business days. The buyer also said that you were slow to respond to emails. Are you guilty as charged? If so, you should only be pissed at yourself. Ebay is weighted towards the buyers these days so you as a seller have to provide "customer service"

2c

The problem is, I don't think ebay calculates "business days" when they do the auto plug in for eastimated delivery time. Based on his description I'd think he gives himself until Tuesday of the next week to ship (from a late Friday payment) and from there I'd expect it to take 3-5 days...so between Friday and Monday (of the next week after) to arrive. But ebay plugs in an automatic 2-3 days for priority mail and it can take longer.

I'm always paranoid of getting retaliatory feedback. So I'm a chicken when it comes to leaving negative feedback, or giving low star ratings. Even to non-payers.

You must be really paranoid. eBay ended sellers' ability to leave feedback 2 years ago. lol

and so on...

*shrug*

So.

Your one of those. :baiting:

But seriously you need to revise your grading.

It requires an average of at LEAST 4.6 stars in EVERY category to get any discount from ebay. So basically, every time you rate someone 4 stars you are saying they failed. If you rate them 1 or 2 stars it is even worse as sellers are only allowed a certain number of 1 or 2 stars before losing all discounts and being booted. Many sellers will block buyers who give low stars.

Unfortunately, ebay does not make it clear to buyers that the sanctions are so severe.

So.

Your one of those. :baiting:

But seriously you need to revise your grading.

It requires an average of at LEAST 4.6 stars in EVERY category to get any discount from ebay. So basically, every time you rate someone 4 stars you are saying they failed. If you rate them 1 or 2 stars it is even worse as sellers are only allowed a certain number of 1 or 2 stars before losing all discounts and being booted. Many sellers will block buyers who give low stars.

Unfortunately, ebay does not make it clear to buyers that the sanctions are so severe.

Yeah, that blows.

Worse than not making sanctions clear, it sounds like Ebay has a model that simply doesn't work and is dumb. If 4 stars is fail and 5 is pass, just make it a friggen pass/fail grading system.

What you are describing isn't outlined anywhere for buyers on Ebay...

You did fine. Last year, someone bought a book on Jul 31. They had the book in hand Aug 10. They left me a 1 or 2 for shipping time.

A 1 or 2? They had their book IN HAND in SEVEN business days.

To normal, rational, sane people, 7 business days is fine. Worth a 4, maybe a 3. A 1 or 2 to normal, sane, rational people is 4 weeks or more.

They left a 1 or 2. Seven business days from payment to delivery.

What normal, sane, rational person leaves a 1 or 2 when the item is in hand within 7 business days?

For anyone who wants to block them, they are 007comix. They were obviously blocked by me. Anybody here 007comix...?

You obviously unneccessarily delayed the buyer's filing of the item away in a long box, not to be seen again for years. :insane: