• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Wow, some people are real tough to please on Ebay

150 posts in this topic

Do those star rating really hurt that much? If so, thats really stupid.

I rarely give 5 stars in every category...

5 stars means they went above and beyond; items arrived faster than promised, packed better than expected.

4 stars means you didn't screw anything up and stuff arrived timely...

3 stars means you did the bare minimum for a transaction. I didn't have to pester you, but stuff took longer than it probably should, etc.

and so on...

if 5-stars is the standard, what's the point of a 5 point scale? Just make it 2 stars; pass/fail.

*shrug*

It goes against logic as your reasoning is sound, but you're doing a disservice to those sellers that you're giving 4-stars to. My fiance uses ebay very rarely and she asked me how many stars to give the guy based on the transaction. She was going to give straight 4's to the guy because everything went according to plan and but service wasn't "above and beyond". I explained ebay's version of 5-stars and she just laughed.

Unless it's for a friend who asks me to hold books (to save on shipping)...I get stuff out the next day, sometimes the same day (I just chased the mailman down the block because I got a payment at 11:30.)

When I worked in the City and traveled 3 hours a day, I still got them out the the next day, I'd mail on my lunch hour.

All planning. I'd try to run auctions on weekends, so I could ship...of course people don't always pay as planned, but it works.I only schedule eBay stuff when I know I can be around, or stay up late to pack.

I don't want to hold someone money once someone has paid... and more importantly, I don't want to forget.

As for the stars, I put a note in every package and I write a note with every auction, it's REALLY time consuming, but I agree, the bidders just don't understand that 4 stars means you messed up.

But the problem with the feedback and rating system is that even if you spell out your terms and rules as a seller, the buyer still has complete and total impunity to leave you whatever feedback/ratings they wish.

Heck, when I dealt with ebay customer service about the neg I received (for not cancelling a third auction by a flaky bidder), I was told that the buyer is totally within their rights to leave whatever feedback/rating they wish as long as they pay. Even if the messages in their own Messaging system supported my version of the story that the guy was doing it out of retaliation, it didn't matter...he paid, and he had a right to say whatever he wanted to about the transaction.

After listening to her twisted logic, I reminded her that I had nearly $400 in eBay fees that month, yet eBay was telling me the buyer is always right. The grand total of items I've sold on eBay since all this came about: $0. They can suck it if they think I'm going to deal with the hassle of selling to the kooks and whack-jobs on their site, and pay them a premium for the privilage.

To be fair, 10 days to ship is too long. I wouldn't neg or neut someone who was slow shipping if they apologized but I might give low marks on the shipping score.

As you are aware, using Canada Post takes considerably longer than USPS...even if I was to ship a comic the day the Paypal cleared, it will often take 10 working day to get to destinations in California, and Texas. Also, our shipping rates are 2x to 3x more than our US counterparts.

For example a single comic shipped from CA to me is approx $2.85- standard envelope - 150-300 gram weight.

For me to ship the same comic would cost $7.90, not including packaging materials!!!

I've always thought that sellers enjoy the fact that I pay IMMEDIATELY after I win their auction... perhaps in the future, I'll just spend time with my wife or go play golf before I pay. That way, I'll be on an even playing field with sellers who think that I'm weird to want the stuff I paid for after I bought it.

Dan

+1

If you're selling stuff on eBay and I pay immediately, I expect the book to be shipped as quick as possible. Is it life or death to get my comics right away? Of course not but shipping as quick as possible after payment is just a level of professionalism that i expect if someone wants my repeat business. I sure as he'll don't want to hear about playing golf, working a full time job, kids dogs or anything like that . If you don't have the time to ship quickly after payment, you shouldn't be selling!

Honestly, like this is what's wrong with this country now. People pay you for a service and then people act like they are somehow doing you a favor by holding up their end of the sale. If you want my money again in the future as a seller, after I pay immediately my books better be shipped before you go out to play golf or walk your dogs. I don't do alot of selling but when I do, getting out books people have paid me for take priority over my hobbies and leisure activities rantrant

I've always thought that sellers enjoy the fact that I pay IMMEDIATELY after I win their auction... perhaps in the future, I'll just spend time with my wife or go play golf before I pay. That way, I'll be on an even playing field with sellers who think that I'm weird to want the stuff I paid for after I bought it.

Dan

+1

If you're selling stuff on eBay and I pay immediately, I expect the book to be shipped as quick as possible. Is it life or death to get my comics right away? Of course not but shipping as quick as possible after payment is just a level of professionalism that i expect if someone wants my repeat business. I sure as he'll don't want to hear about playing golf, working a full time job, kids dogs or anything like that . If you don't have the time to ship quickly after payment, you shouldn't be selling!

Honestly, like this is what's wrong with this country now. People pay you for a service and then people act like they are somehow doing you a favor by holding up their end of the sale. If you want my money again in the future as a seller, after I pay immediately my books better be shipped before you go out to play golf or walk your dogs. I don't do alot of selling but when I do, getting out books people have paid me for take priority over my hobbies and leisure activities rantrant

I'm strapping the books you buy from my next sales thread to the back of a one-legged turtle before I point him to South Florida....we'll see what you have to say about that Mr. Immediate Gratification. :baiting:

As a buyer, I don't expect , obviously. eBay sellers are all over the board and I am not surprised if I receive something in two days or two weeks. Any longer than that and I start to get nervous, though.

As a seller, however, once I have the buyer's money, their package goes out the next day - no exceptions. I can't think of one time that I missed sending something the day after. I realize not everyone thinks the same way as I do, but if I have their cash, I just can't justify not sending out their stuff ASAP. It's almost as much for my peace of mind as it is to get them their stuff on time. I just don't want to keep thinking 'Man, I still have to mail that dude's stuff' until I actually get around to it. Drives me nuts. I guess, if anything, it's kept me from getting neutrals/negatives and nicks on my shipping stars.

2c

+1

Geez, I tought I was alone on that one. I've been thinking like that since starting on eBay.

How does one do that if they have a job they work at 12 hours a day, screaming kids and 46 other things to do? I'm straight up in my auctions that it may take me 5 days to ship. I also don't get fidgity if people don't pay right away, but I certainly try to get to it sooner than later if I am paid right away. I also throw in freebies to compensate for the slower shipping. People seem to like free stuff and my shipping time #s aren't bad.

I can only speak for myself, but:

1. I work 12 hours a day too...sometimes more.

2. I don't have kids, so can't speak to that. I have two dogs that I have to walk though :insane:

3. When I'm planning my auctions, I make sure that I have time set aside to complete my duties for anyone that pays at (or near) auction's close. If they pay a couple of days after auction's close, they obviously aren't in a hurry so I don't worry about it as much. If they pay that night though, I make sure it's out the next day.

Like I said earlier though, I can only speak for myself. If I know I'm not going to have time to complete my obligations in what I feel is a timely manner, I don't start the auction.

Speaking for myself when I was working insane hours and now retired. I promise 24-48hrs via priority mail when the payment is received. I check my mail/ebay several times. I usually get my books that are "sold" before the end of the auction in box or in the heavy cardboard priority envelope. I also have a postoffice with the automated shipping 24hrs a day. I ship to my customer timely they way I would like. I really don't like waiting over 5-10 days in particular with no explainations. If your selling you need to set that time aside for the completion of the task, if not then don't sell!!!!

WEBHEAD

Consider....Mile High Comics.

I ordered from them on 4/1. It is now 4/11, no shipment. I imagine I'll receive the order in the next week or so.

Doesn't bother me at all. They have a bazillion orders to ship.

Normal practice should be as soon as possible, sure, but unless special circumstances were worked out prior to purchase with the seller (birthday, etc) then nobody should be getting upset if it takes a few days to ship, especially if everything else is top notch.

Yeah right!

That's why I buy from people like you. After I pay, I have the books in hand before I would even consider inquiring about where they are (thumbs u

I buy alot of books from Steve( rube11) and I swear I think he's sleeping with someone high up at UPS! I can send PP at like 10pm on a Monday night and the books are sitting on my doorstep Wednesday at noon (worship)

Sellers like that(and you George) I'll buy from every time, no questions asked. If I'm still waiting for books 2 weeks after I pay while someone is playing golf??? I don't see myself repeating most likely :preach:

To be fair, 10 days to ship is too long. I wouldn't neg or neut someone who was slow shipping if they apologized but I might give low marks on the shipping score.

It didn't take him 10 days to ship, it took it 10 total days to arrive. If you think that is too long, you wouldn't be happy buying from me.

I do alot on ebay, but honestly, sometimes my kids are sick, or it is a pretty day, and I go play golf. I just can't put someone sitting out there worrying whether they get there book in 5 days or 7 days or 10 days as a big concern. Seriously, in a few days, they won't even remember anyway. In the overall scheme of things, they have their book and there is no difference at all.

What sucks is that ebay promotes this type of thinking.

I misread the OP and thought he took 10 days to ship. My boner. 10 days to arrive is fine.

When I sell I try to ship the next business day and I always do my best to communicate with the buyer if there is any delay. Just as a seller appreciates quick payment buyers appreciate quick shipping. I have purchased from you Dale and wouldn't hesitate to do it again (granted, it was in person so shipping wasn't part of the equation). I've also purchased from almost every seller on the boards and I've never complained about how long it took for a book to arrive. They all seem to arrive safely eventually.

The scenario needs to be considered in toto. Was it a reasonable amount of time according to standard practice (not the "if I don't have it tomorrow, it's too slow!" idea of standard practice)? Was the item packaged well? Was the S&H reasonable? Was it a smokin' hot deal? (yes, there will be people who tell you that doesn't matter, and they're mostly right...but if you got a $500 book for $200, it's not going to kill you to cut some slack. You may just be able to repeat the experience.)

You folks need to understand that when you punish sellers who don't deserve punishing, you drive them away. What does that leave? Bad sellers.

To those who refuse to cut any slack at all, regardless of circumstance (and Dan, NO ONE is suggesting that golf, walking the dog, etc, is the priority. There is a COLOSSAL difference, sufunk, between "taking a few days to ship" and actual poor cusomer service), all I can say is this:

I'll be glad when this is legal...

arnold_smoking-pot.jpg

As you are aware, using Canada Post takes considerably longer than USPS...even if I was to ship a comic the day the Paypal cleared, it will often take 10 working day to get to destinations in California, and Texas. Also, our shipping rates are 2x to 3x more than our US counterparts.

For example a single comic shipped from CA to me is approx $2.85- standard envelope - 150-300 gram weight.

For me to ship the same comic would cost $7.90, not including packaging materials!!!

It drives me crazy when a package from the US arrives with $3.47 in postage and it costs me $13 to send a similar package to the US.

Yeah right!

That's why I buy from people like you. After I pay, I have the books in hand before I would even consider inquiring about where they are (thumbs u

I buy alot of books from Steve( rube11) and I swear I think he's sleeping with someone high up at UPS! I can send PP at like 10pm on a Monday night and the books are sitting on my doorstep Wednesday at noon (worship)

Sellers like that(and you George) I'll buy from every time, no questions asked. If I'm still waiting for books 2 weeks after I pay while someone is playing golf??? I don't see myself repeating most likely :preach:

lol

Who are these golf playing sellers you keep talking about...?

;)

Yeah right!

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a decent Tee Time? :makepoint:

It didn't take him 10 days to ship, it took it 10 total days to arrive. If you think that is too long, you wouldn't be happy buying from me.

I do alot on ebay, but honestly, sometimes my kids are sick, or it is a pretty day, and I go play golf. I just can't put someone sitting out there worrying whether they get there book in 5 days or 7 days or 10 days as a big concern. Seriously, in a few days, they won't even remember anyway. In the overall scheme of things, they have their book and there is no difference at all.

This is where the golf playing seller stuff came from...

Dan

Yeah right!

Do you have any idea how hard it is to get a decent Tee Time? :makepoint:

When I lived in Houston it was actually pretty easy...and pretty darn cheap too (at least compared to what I'm used to up here)

Dan

:gossip: He was being facetious....

Dan

Yep. Talk about literal thinking. lol

Dale's basically just trying to say he has a life. (shrug)

As someone who, even when selling here, has an erratic schedule with shipping, I can simply say that generally I don't intentionally collect payment until I know I'll be home. But many times people request an invoice and I tell them that shipping is going to be delayed. Now there are times when people say, I need my books by (x) or it's a particularly large book or expensive order, in which I case I do try and make sure that's resolved immediately.

That being said, that's part of my large threads. In the past, I could literally sit in my old office and pack all day. Even when I do packing all night at the office, i still can only get a limited number done. With my wife helping, it still can take some time.

I totally understand people's frustrations with it, but I rarely ask people about books unless I've paid for overnight shipping -- otherwise, I try to be laid back about it since my schedule is erratic and there are several unplanned trips.

Yeah right!

lol

Who are these golf playing sellers you keep talking about...?

;)

:acclaim:

Whats funny.... I am a top rated seller on ebay. Shipping time 4.93.

Dan

Yep. Talk about literal thinking. lol

Dale's basically just trying to say he has a life. (shrug)

Nope, I actually play golf somedays instead of work.....

novel concept, huh??