• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1 October Copy in May Comiclink Auction

139 posts in this topic

Ok, just for historical reasons, I would like to know how many October issues were printed compared to November stamp issues. I heard that the first issue sold so well that they printed up thousands more because of demand with the November stamp.

And why do some people call the November release a 2nd printing ? Is it ?

November is not a second printing. The book was already being printed when Martin Goodman discovered the October cover date and had them immediately change the black plate to read November. He didn't want his first comic book to have a short on-sale period. Changing it to November gave him the partial October cycle and the entire November cycle.

This sounds more logical, while the 2nd printing story sounds more myth.

Plus, I am very dubious of the other party who tried to hype the Oct. versus Nov. issue after stockpiling multiple Oct. copies (multiple Action 1's anyone?).

Having said that, the Oct. issue is clearly more rare, and that alone may command more of a premium.

Book in question:

MC1octclink.jpg

Is it comon for CGC to label it as an "October Cover" but not lable the whole book as an "October Copy"?

I see the publication date of the book is labeled 11/39.

???

Edit: nevermind, just noticed the CGC 5.0 cage copy was also dated 11/39 on the label.

Ok, just for historical reasons, I would like to know how many October issues were printed compared to November stamp issues. I heard that the first issue sold so well that they printed up thousands more because of demand with the November stamp.

November is not a second printing. The book was already being printed when Martin Goodman discovered the October cover date and had them immediately change the black plate to read November. He didn't want his first comic book to have a short on-sale period. Changing it to November gave him the partial October cycle and the entire November cycle.

This theory fails to explain the change in the indicia. I think its more likely that for the second print they took the cheap way out in altering the cover and indicia plates.

This sounds more logical, while the 2nd printing story sounds more myth.

Plus, I am very dubious of the other party who tried to hype the Oct. versus Nov. issue after stockpiling multiple Oct. copies (multiple Action 1's anyone?).

Having said that, the Oct. issue is clearly more rare, and that alone may command more of a premium.

Moondog, can you point me to something that backs this story up ? There have been other stories I have heard as well but I would accept the the one with the most evidence provided. Up to now I kept hearing that the October stamp issue sold out so fast Goodman printed up thousands more quite quickly because of demand.

Haven't read the Omnibus yet although I think I might just order it today but I find it hard to believe that Marvel would rely simply on just Fishler's account of this situation. Also, I'm not saying that the DC exec's version is not credible but that's about as 3rd hand information as you can get. Has anyone ever asked the question to someone like Stan Lee for example? He wasnt there from the very beginning but he was related to Goodman and was in the bullpen for 50 years, basically 1941 on, and at the highest levels. How about Roy Thomas, Lloyd Jacquet? I'm sure individuals like this were consulted to some degree over the last few decades and would have some insight as to how and why this was done.

Well, which former exec from DC ? and No I didn't check what the Omnibus notes say. So what part of the thread are talking about ?

I don't have permission yet to share our emails. Of course I will if/when I do. I've asked him to join in here if he'd like, but haven't heard back.

And, no, it's not Paul Levitz.

Haven't read the Omnibus yet although I think I might just order it today but I find it hard to believe that Marvel would rely simply on just Fishler's account of this situation. Also, I'm not saying that the DC exec's version is not credible but that's about as 3rd hand information as you can get. Has anyone ever asked the question to someone like Stan Lee for example? He wasnt there from the very beginning but he was related to Goodman and was in the bullpen for 50 years, basically 1941 on, and at the highest levels. How about Roy Thomas, Lloyd Jacquet? I'm sure individuals like this were consulted to some degree over the last few decades and would have some insight as to how and why this was done.

Fwiw -- there's enough detail in Murray's narrative on this issue that I don't think he's relying purely on anecdotal information. I'll post a more full account of this section when I have the chance. (and indeed, there's a lot of good detail in his entire piece in the Omnibus)

Googling, I see he's a well regarded pulp historian (not to mention, he co-created Squirrel Girl with Ditko! :headbang:) , so perhaps he has sources outside the beaten paths of comics history:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Will_Murray_(writer)

Anybody know him?

Most of the discussion centering the intro Will wrote took place on the Timely / Atlas mailing list ... the records are out there for whomever wants to know Will's writing process for the intro to the Omnibus.

so please let's frame the ?s here, and I'll send...

Thanks, Pat. I appreciate it and I'm sure we all do. Anyone feel free to chime in, but here's what I'd like to know:

There are two conflicting accounts regarding why there are both October and November versions of Marvel Comics #1:

1) The presses were stopped and the date was adjusted when it was realized Oct would not allow enough time on the stands.

2) A first printing sold through quickly and a large second printing was then ordered.

I'd like to know if there are records from Marvel, Marvel employees, or the printer supporting the idea that there were two separate printings (the scenario Murray outlines in the Omnibus).

If so, can those records be made public or can he provide a pointer as to how they could be accessed?

Thanks again, Pat. That's probably a little long winded, but the gist of it is: Are there written records that can solve this mystery and can we see them? :)

Also, please pass along my thanks for the info in the Omnibus. There's plenty of stuff in there I didn't know.

The basic question is simple: What is the evidence which supports the contention that there was an initial run of 80,000 with an October date and a second run of 800,000 with a November date? Recollections by Marvel employees (if so, who), documents (if so, what), or something else?

The basic question is simple: What is the evidence which supports the contention that there was an initial run of 80,000 with an October date and a second run of 800,000 with a November date? Recollections by Marvel employees (if so, who), documents (if so, what), or something else?

Concisely put. Yeah, that does it.