• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1 October Copy in May Comiclink Auction

139 posts in this topic

Typing this from my blackberry but I'll try and post a pic later. At least CGC is starting to note "October copy" on the label. This could be the making of a perfect storm with my mid year bonus coming in and all. hm Any thoughts on a final price tag, $25k?

what's the grade of it? That will determine how high it goes

You betcha. Not only is it "the" Timely to own but I love the mystique behind the rarity of the October copies. If this is a new book to the market then its only the 5th copy I've ever seen and only the Cage copy was unrestored. Pretty incredible when you think about how many November issues have survived in comparison.

You betcha. Not only is it "the" Timely to own but I love the mystique behind the rarity of the October copies. If this is a new book to the market then its only the 5th copy I've ever seen and only the Cage copy was unrestored. Pretty incredible when you think about how many November issues have survived in comparison.
I have seen at least 10 copies and sold 4 total now, but it is rare...in fact, I sold a 6.0 ext just a few months ago (oct copy)... several have changed hands, not in the public eye (thumbs u

I have seen at least 10 copies and sold 4 total now, but it is rare...in fact, I sold a 6.0 ext just a few months ago (oct copy)... several have changed hands, not in the public eye (thumbs u

since I am sure someone will ask lol

raw 2.0

cgc 5.0 ext

cgc 4.5 ext

cgc 6.0 ext

are the 4 I have owned

The description is incorrect:

"As indicated in the Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide, Marvel Comics #1 is, along with Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27, among the top three most significant and valuable Golden Age comic books. We wholeheartedly agree."

Sorry Clink, Marvel Comics #1 is ranked fourth on the top 100, NOT Third. :makepoint:

in fact, if I recall, peter didn't you buy the 4.5 from me at one point (shrug)

Yes but then the credit crisis imploded and I had to liquidate it because my cash flow took a beating for the next year and a half, don't miss those days. I think I was able to flip it on Comiclink for something like $21.5k but the memory is foggy. That copy did resell last year for $25k so I suspect the reserve on this book will be around $30k. Popscomics slightly brittle paged copy (had a stamp on it of some significance, believe it was a file copy?)sold for $27.5k. The metro copy was stunning, still can't believe it barely cleared $40k. I'm betting it would sell for more today.

Hard to guess a price range, just look at the deals you got on your 9.2 copy and the one Jim landed for the chicago copy. Both were restored November copies but both were pedigrees and they went for a song.

Hard to guess a price range, just look at the deals you got on your 9.2 copy and the one Jim landed for the chicago copy. Both were restored November copies but both were pedigrees and they went for a song.

Why does pedigree matter if a copy is restored? I thought the whole point of pedigree was it may be an indicator of quality -- hence the price bump. But, doesn't that go out the window if we're talking a restored copy?

Why does pedigree matter if a copy is restored? I thought the whole point of pedigree was it may be an indicator of quality -- hence the price bump. But, doesn't that go out the window if we're talking a restored copy?

Most pedigree Books if restored probably have such minor work done that their Pedigree status is still somewhat in play. Like the Allentown marvel 1... Cleaned cover, a single minute tear seal and a dot of color on that tear seal. While we call it "restored" it is hardly "restored" as with or without the work probably in about same visual condition

Most pedigree Books if restored probably have such minor work done that their Pedigree status is still somewhat in play. Like the Allentown marvel 1... Cleaned cover, a single minute tear seal and a dot of color on that tear seal. While we call it "restored" it is hardly "restored" as with or without the work probably in about same visual condition

Plus, the ped designation, Church for example, still tells you that you're getting brilliant inks and excellent page quality. I'd still pay a premium.

I've never owned a Marvel 1, but is the "oct/Nov" stamp on the FC the only difference between the two print runs--both interiors the same? How about the print registration on the FC?

All reversible (except for being squeeky clean!)

I've never owned a Marvel 1, but is the "oct/Nov" stamp on the FC the only difference between the two print runs--both interiors the same? How about the print registration on the FC?

I don't remember the exact details but I believe the indicia is slightly different (inside front cover) and I believe there are also differences in the Torch story.

Ok, just for historical reasons, I would like to know how many October issues were printed compared to November stamp issues. I heard that the first issue sold so well that they printed up thousands more because of demand with the November stamp.

And why do some people call the November release a 2nd printing ? Is it ?