• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1 October Copy in May Comiclink Auction

139 posts in this topic

Total Universal Copies Graded a 7.0+ by CGC

Action Comics #1: 3

Detective Comics #27: 6

Marvel Comics #1: 5

While that's an interesting grade cut-off, it's not the right one for these particular books. The most insightful cut-off is 8.5.

Action Comics #1: 1

Detective Comics #27: 0

Marvel Comics #1: 3

You might as well add Superman 1 to the mix also

Total Graded: 90

Total Universal: 30

Total Copies Graded a 7.0+ by CGC: 19

Total Universal Copies Graded a 7.0+ by CGC: 2 (7.5) (8.0)

At the all-important 8.5 cut-off, Superman #1 is also a "0".

I think the difficult thing about all of this is the incompleteness of the data at hand. At least a few of the CGC copies are likely resubmits, counted twice. But perhaps most importantly, we know that the highest graded copies of all of these books haven't been certified. Therefore, it is likely true with several other very high grade copies (perhaps even second and third) of each of the books. All we really know is what has come to market in the last 10 years. The next 10 years could bring lots of Action 1s or Tec 27s relative to Marvel 1. I think it is unlikely that the trends for the last 10 years will repeat. (shrug)

Marvel Comics 1 will always be the ultimate goal for my collection, likely never to be reached. And the October copy would be worth a significant premium to me, being the absolute earliest printing of the book.

One can always dream... :cloud9:

:baiting: I laugh when people say "who cares about the Sub-Mariner and the Torch" when those same people couldn't put a list of 10 Superman stories worth mentioning with over 70 years of work to sift through. DC will just relaunch the same movie with the same plot every decade so people won't forget who he is.

Are there even 5 different Human Torch stories? If you want some really blank stares ask people to name a Human torch story besides Torch vs. Subby.

"There's that one where he threw fireballs at some Nazi's...and..."

I loved that one. I also love the story where he got mad and threw fireballs at some Japanese tanks.

I loved that one. I also love the story where he got mad and threw fireballs at some Japanese tanks.

I loved the story in that issue with the red cover. :eyeroll:

Are you talking about the one with an overly cluttered Schomburg cover or the one with a Schomburg cover that has too much crammed into it?

Are you talking about the one with an overly cluttered Schomburg cover or the one with a Schomburg cover that has too much crammed into it?

I especially love both of those :cloud9:

Schomburg is like Mozart: you may think there are too many notes, but he uses exactly the correct number needed....no more.....no less.

You are becoming quite the Antonio Salieri these days, Tim. :makepoint:

Schomburg is like Mozart: you may think there are too many notes, but he uses exactly the correct number needed....no more.....no less.

Dont you mean Schoenberg?

I especially love both of those :cloud9:

lol(worship)

In many ways, Salieri is the hero of "Amadeus". (shrug)

:baiting: I laugh when people say "who cares about the Sub-Mariner and the Torch" when those same people couldn't put a list of 10 Superman stories worth mentioning with over 70 years of work to sift through. DC will just relaunch the same movie with the same plot every decade so people won't forget who he is.

Are there even 5 different Human Torch stories? If you want some really blank stares ask people to name a Human torch story besides Torch vs. Subby.

That's at least 4 more stories than Superman unless of course your a dog lover and Super Hound makes and appearance, or was that a Batman sidekick. hm On second thought who cares. Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to reading about the battle Superman had with a snowman. meh

And we know the best Torch and Subby GA stories were in the battle issues. (thumbs u