• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1 October Copy in May Comiclink Auction

139 posts in this topic

I still question the 800,000 print run - that would make it the second largest print run ever for a comic at that time (behind Superman #1) - a pretty huge gamble on an unknown book from a new comic publisher.

Except, Goodman wasn't a new publisher. He was experienced in periodical publishing and newstand distribution. Goodman's history shows he never hesitated to jump on what he perceived as a successful trend. If he knew that DC was having a LOT of success selling superhero comics, then he might well have thought that the "gamble" of a large print run was a save bet. Keep in mind that Superman was not the pop culture icon back then that he is today, just a new comic character, so Goodman had no reason to believe that he too couldn't achieve Superman-like sales figures with his own super-hero comics.

This is why I was careful to include the word "comic" in front of publisher.

It wasn't like most books at this time sold 600,000 or so and Goodman's gamble was that his book would be slightly better. Everything that wasn't Superman had a run in the 200,000 to 300,000 neighborhood, and Superman #1 was currently on the stands so i doubt Goodman knew the final numbers from DC yet.

Even at Timely's peak they were what, the 5th biggest publisher?

It just seems unlikely that for a brand new untested comic you would order a print run of 3-4x what most books were selling. I wouldn't be surprised if that number wasn't mis-remembered 40 years later to the inflated figure we hear now.

I'm trying to compile a picture list of any copies, just because I think the book is so cool. I have about 35 or so, and am trying to add as many as possible. PM's or posting here would help.

thanks!

You have pics of 35 copies of the October...?

no, that would be total. mostly nov, but I think I have pics of three Oct copies.

I still question the 800,000 print run - that would make it the second largest print run ever for a comic at that time (behind Superman #1) - a pretty huge gamble on an unknown book from a new comic publisher.

Except, Goodman wasn't a new publisher. He was experienced in periodical publishing and newstand distribution. Goodman's history shows he never hesitated to jump on what he perceived as a successful trend. If he knew that DC was having a LOT of success selling superhero comics, then he might well have thought that the "gamble" of a large print run was a save bet. Keep in mind that Superman was not the pop culture icon back then that he is today, just a new comic character, so Goodman had no reason to believe that he too couldn't achieve Superman-like sales figures with his own super-hero comics.

This is why I was careful to include the word "comic" in front of publisher.

It wasn't like most books at this time sold 600,000 or so and Goodman's gamble was that his book would be slightly better. Everything that wasn't Superman had a run in the 200,000 to 300,000 neighborhood, and Superman #1 was currently on the stands so i doubt Goodman knew the final numbers from DC yet.

Even at Timely's peak they were what, the 5th biggest publisher?

It just seems unlikely that for a brand new untested comic you would order a print run of 3-4x what most books were selling. I wouldn't be surprised if that number wasn't mis-remembered 40 years later to the inflated figure we hear now.

That makes perfect sense. It could have been a test run 30K regionally, and a national run of 200K to 300K (or 80K/400K, etc.). I guess it's not the specific numbers that are significant to me (because the only numbers that matter now are how many survived), but the recollection of a regional dipping of the toe, positive feedback, and a bigger national run. Based on my experience as an attorney, it is not surprising for witnesses to have trouble accurately recalling details like the size of a print run, but I generally find they do get the broader sequences right. Which is why Art Goodman's story resonates with me.

Having said that, I really don't think that owners of November copies have anything to worry about. I suspect that the price differential between October and November copies will remain a bump, and would never become a multiple -- especially since the best examples are November copies.

That makes perfect sense. It could have been a test run 30K regionally, and a national run of 200K to 300K (or 80K/400K, etc.). I guess it's not the specific numbers that are significant to me (because the only numbers that matter now are how many survived), but the recollection of a regional dipping of the toe, positive feedback, and a bigger national run. Based on my experience as an attorney, it is not surprising for witnesses to have trouble accurately recalling details like the size of a print run, but I generally find they do get the broader sequences right. Which is why Art Goodman's story resonates with me.

Having said that, I really don't think that owners of November copies have anything to worry about. I suspect that the price differential between October and November copies will remain a bump, and would never become a multiple -- especially since the best examples are November copies.

Agreed.

The Allentown copy is certainly a November (as is the Denver copy - which of course came from Pennsylvania), so if October copies were regionally distributed, they certainly didn't make it far along the east coast.

Almost makes me wonder if maybe the numbers weren't closer to 8,000/80,000 since it is said that Goodman was having financial difficulties at the time. That could certainly help account for the rarity of the book, and decades later it was remembered that there was a second printing and the number 80,000 sticks out in my mind, etc., etc..

As an 8.0 with moderate restoration and given the eye appeal I would have to say higher than 25k. This copy is pretty nice looking.

Actually my prediction is "reserve not met"

I sold an October 7.5 extensive professional restoration about 4 years ago in San Diego for over 25K.

Actually, should not have been extensive in my opinion, it had been hole punched and all the paper replaced, but the book was otherwise (near) perfect with no other restoration and almost no defects. I actually couldn't figure out why it was a 7.5.

As an 8.0 with moderate restoration and given the eye appeal I would have to say higher than 25k. This copy is pretty nice looking.

I sold an October 7.5 extensive professional restoration about 4 years ago in San Diego for over 25K.

Actually, should not have been extensive in my opinion, it had been hole punched and all the paper replaced, but the book was otherwise (near) perfect with no other restoration and almost no defects. I actually couldn't figure out why it was a 7.5.

Might have been better to keep the covers filled in and leave the interior pages alone? Sounds like a beauty, do you have a scan somewhere?

I actually couldn't figure out why it was a 7.5.

I've heard that about your grading.

Might have been better to keep the covers filled in and leave the interior pages alone? Sounds like a beauty, do you have a scan somewhere?

Ok, so I was wrong all the way around. It was 2008. It was a 7.0 and a November copy. Here is a scan, not a very good one though. Have a better one somewhere, but whatever.

157645044_o.jpg

in fact, if I recall, peter didn't you buy the 4.5 from me at one point (shrug)

Hard to guess a price range, just look at the deals you got on your 9.2 copy and the one Jim landed for the chicago copy. Both were restored November copies but both were pedigrees and they went for a song.

:cloud9:

Jim

If "November" copies were found in the same narrow region as "October" copies, I think, that would be further evidence of two print runs, as opposed to the scenario you outline.

That's actually an excellent point. What November copies have a known East Coast provenance?

The Windy City was purchased in Uniontown PA.

This is a bit of a basic question as obviously it seems that Marvel #1 is not held in the same esteem that it was years ago...

But what do you guys expect the future of this book to be?

If I've gathered correctly, many of the same copies are often made available for sale and this has skewed the perception of the issue's scarcity; correct?

Does this issue have much short-term potential, or do you feel that it will take years for it to climb back onto its former pedestal? (shrug)

This is a bit of a basic question as obviously it seems that Marvel #1 is not held in the same esteem that it was years ago...

If I've gathered correctly, many of the same copies are often made available for sale and this has skewed the perception of the issue's scarcity; correct?

Does this issue have much short-term potential, or do you feel that it will take years for it to climb back onto its former pedestal? (shrug)

It will always be sought after, but if you are going to buy any single Timely/Atlas/Marvel key then go for the nicest AF #15 you can afford instead IMHO. That being said, an October MC #1 should have some legs due to the scarcity factor.

It will always be sought after, but if you are going to buy any single Timely/Atlas/Marvel key then go for the nicest AF #15 you can afford instead IMHO. That being said, an October MC #1 should have some legs due to the scarcity factor.

I disagree...but that is what makes the world go around.

Marvel 1 will always be my favorite big golden age key.

Clearly both Marvel #1 and AF #15 are incredible books...

But I get the feeling that one has to be more of a "comic book" fan to truly appreciate a grail like Marvel #1. Many outside the hobby, just Spiderman fans, can cherish an AF #15. So to them..."what's the big deal about Namor and some android?" they may think.

Of course Marvel #1 is so much more than that...I just think that it should get a little more love these days. :(

I disagree...but that is what makes the world go around.

Marvel 1 will always be my favorite big golden age key.

As someone that started reading and collecting comics as a youth in the late 80s, AF #15 is the big Marvel book for me. That being said, I definitely respect your opinion. (thumbs u