• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Comics #1 October Copy in May Comiclink Auction

139 posts in this topic

Clearly both Marvel #1 and AF #15 are incredible books...

But I get the feeling that one has to be more of a "comic book" fan to truly appreciate a grail like Marvel #1. Many outside the hobby, just Spiderman fans, can cherish an AF #15. So to them..."what's the big deal about Namor and some android?" they may think.

Of course Marvel #1 is so much more than that...I just think that it should get a little more love these days. :(

I don't know. Looking at other collectibles like stamps, coins, cards, it is the mega key items that continue to hold and add significant value while lesser keys plateau/drop in value over time. While comics are not at that point, it is sort of happening now to a certain extent. Remember, it was not that long ago when FF #1 was worth more than ASM #1 even though the FF had been passed by Spidey in the late 60s/early 70s. Over time we should see more selectivity at the upper end of the hobby and this will be more of an issue for MC #1 than it currently is.

But I get the feeling that one has to be more of a "comic book" fan to truly appreciate a grail like Marvel #1. Many outside the hobby, just Spiderman fans, can cherish an AF #15. So to them..."what's the big deal about Namor and some android?" they may think.

Of course Marvel #1 is so much more than that...I just think that it should get a little more love these days. :(

I don't know. Looking at other collectibles like stamps, coins, cards, it is the mega key items that continue to hold and add significant value while lesser keys plateau/drop in value over time. While comics are not at that point, it is sort of happening now to a certain extent. Remember, it was not that long ago when FF #1 was worth more than ASM #1 even though the FF had been passed by Spidey in the late 60s/early 70s. Over time we should see more selectivity at the upper end of the hobby and this will be more of an issue for MC #1 than it currently is.

So much of this really boils down to perspective. I bought my first Timely in the early seventies. At that time AF 15 was a few hundred dollars. FF 1 was four or five hundred bucks and an average copy of Marvel 1 was two grand or so if you could find one (I got my first one, a vgf in '78 for $4000). At that time I couldn't wrap my head around paying big bucks for early silver age when they were only ten to fifteen years old, while thirty five year old books were not much more money. Now, with the passage of time, silver age is fifty years old. Those big prices seem more in line. And for newer collectors those are really old books that still have some connection to the present. Marvel 1 does too, just not in the same way that AF 15 does. I get it. But for me Marvel 1 will always be the grail.

As far as Marvel Comics #1 scarcity goes, CGC has only graded 51 copies. That is in line with the amount of copies of Action Comics #1 & Detective Comics #27 CGC has graded. Pretty darn scarce!

Now, AF #15 on the other hand has had 1,478 copies graded, that's 29 times more copies than Marvel Comics #1.

So much of this really boils down to perspective. I bought my first Timely in the early seventies. At that time AF 15 was a few hundred dollars. FF 1 was four or five hundred bucks and an average copy of Marvel 1 was two grand or so if you could find one (I got my first one, a vgf in '78 for $4000). At that time I couldn't wrap my head around paying big bucks for early silver age when they were only ten to fifteen years old, while thirty five year old books were not much more money. Now, with the passage of time, silver age is fifty years old. Those big prices seem more in line. And for newer collectors those are really old books that still have some connection to the present. Marvel 1 does too, just not in the same way that AF 15 does. I get it. But for me Marvel 1 will always be the grail.

:cloud9:

Is it just a coincidence that some of the smartest board members view a Marvel #1 as THE definitive grail book :cloud9:

Jim

Is it just a coincidence that some of the smartest board members view a Marvel #1 as THE definitive grail book :cloud9:

Jim

none whatsoever, sir.

Jim

none whatsoever, sir.

:censored:(tsk)

It's MY grail book, dang nabbit. :sumo:

Jim

none whatsoever, sir.

blows that theory to crud and back lol

Jim

none whatsoever, sir.

blows that theory to crud and back lol

:sorry:

As far as Marvel Comics #1 scarcity goes, CGC has only graded 51 copies. That is in line with the amount of copies of Action Comics #1 & Detective Comics #27 CGC has graded. Pretty darn scarce!

Yes, but the number of high grade copies of MC #1 dwarfs the number of high grade copies of Action 1 or Tec 27. This is probably the main reason why MC 1 is generally considered to be less scarce than the Big Two.

Now, AF #15 on the other hand has had 1,478 copies graded, that's 29 times more copies than Marvel Comics #1.

True, but on the other hand there are more than 29 times the number of collectors who want AF 15 than MC 1.

Jim

No, simply further evidence that emotion trumps logic every time. :baiting:

Yes, but the number of high grade copies of MC #1 dwarfs the number of high grade copies of Action 1 or Tec 27. This is probably the main reason why MC 1 is generally considered to be less scarce than the Big Two.

True, but on the other hand there are more than 29 times the number of collectors who want AF 15 than MC 1.

There are fewer high grades because the only thing it has going for it is a first appearance of Superlameman. People gave it the bird cage liner treatment it deserved back in the 40's. :baiting: I laugh when people say "who cares about the Sub-Mariner and the Torch" when those same people couldn't put a list of 10 Superman stories worth mentioning with over 70 years of work to sift through. DC will just relaunch the same movie with the same plot every decade so people won't forget who he is.

Judging by the number of annoying Action #1's we had to suffer through this past year that high grade scarcity ratio may be changing [the Cage copy just resurfaced for example].

Judging by the number of annoying Action #1's we had to suffer through this past year that high grade scarcity ratio may be changing [the Cage copy just resurfaced for example].

The difference is that 6.0 is considered high grade for Action 1 and Tec 27, while it's basically mulch material for a MC 1.

The 8.5 Action 1 sold for $1.5 million and is probably gone from sight for many years. MC 1s in 9.0 sold in ever decreasing amounts from the peak of $300K and kept getting flipped in public like a diseased potato.

The difference is that 6.0 is considered high grade for Action 1 and Tec 27, while it's basically mulch material for a MC 1.

The 8.5 Action 1 sold for $1.5 million and is probably gone from sight for many years. MC 1s in 9.0 sold in ever decreasing amounts from the peak of $300K and kept getting flipped in public like a diseased potato.

From an investment stand-point, Action Comics #1 and Detective Comics #27 win. For me the shear joy of owning a Marvel Comics #1 would be priceless. Maybe not the best investment of my money, but it's the book that means more to me as a collector.

There are fewer high grades because the only thing it has going for it is a first appearance of Superlameman. People gave it the bird cage liner treatment it deserved back in the 40's. :baiting: I laugh when people say "who cares about the Sub-Mariner and the Torch" when those same people couldn't put a list of 10 Superman stories worth mentioning with over 70 years of work to sift through. DC will just relaunch the same movie with the same plot every decade so people won't forget who he is.

I'm assuming that you were being a little humorous/sarcastic with the "Superlameman", "bird cage", and "70 years of work" remarks. That being said and as a Superman fan myself...I take no offense.

But I think that it's more a matter of Marvel #1 not getting as much attention as it probably deserves than Action #1 getting too much. I've personally never understood the annoyance of seeing "too many" threads of any one particular book as I'm sure we all see countless threads every day that we pass by due to a lack of interest.

So seeing a number of threads dedicated to the same topic or same book doesn't bother me in the least; I just skip any thread I'm not interested in as I'm sure many of us do to multiple threads every time we sign in.

rantrant aside, I do realize that you were just trying to be funny...while sticking up for a great book that is often deprived of its just due.

So...a bit more details regarding the CGC census figures of the three aforementioned books.

Total Copies Graded by CGC

Action Comics #1: 50

Detective Comics #27: 49

Marvel Comics #1: 51

Total Universal Copies Graded by CGC

Action Comics #1: 29

Detective Comics #27: 23

Marvel Comics #1: 21

Total Copies Graded a 7.0+ by CGC

Action Comics #1: 12

Detective Comics #27: 20

Marvel Comics #1: 20

Total Universal Copies Graded a 7.0+ by CGC

Action Comics #1: 3

Detective Comics #27: 6

Marvel Comics #1: 5

One has to also keep in mind that of all the key GA books in our hobby, Action Comics #1 is probably one of (if not THE) most likely to be graded by CGC for a myraid of reasons.

We've seen a number of copies sold over the past year; how many of them have been slabbed, and how many of them have been raw?

While of course we know that there are raw copies in private collections, I'd suspect that we've seen a greater percentage of remaining copies of Action #1 graded by CGC, than may be the case with other books.

Lots of interesting post. I actually love the cover of Marvel Comics 1 but the importance of the issue and the level of respect and attention are exactly right. That is what a free market does, sets the right valuation for a book. That said, I could certainly see more people looking at Marvel 1 with a more open mind since for most of us, Action 1 and Detective 27 are outside our reach so the move to lower priced key books like Marvel 1 may be something still obtainable by a serious but budget constrained collector.

The key problem for Marvel #1 in comparison to Action #1 and Tec #27 has been the availability of the high grade copies.

The Pay copy (9.0) and Denver copy (8.5) of Marvel #1 were readily available on multiple occasions over the last 5 years. This basically meant that the book lost its lustre in comparison to the other 2 books.

Hopefully these books along with the other 9.0 and Verzyl's MH copy will be held in collections for a long time.

You might as well add Superman 1 to the mix also

Total Graded: 90

Total Universal: 30

Total Copies Graded a 7.0+ by CGC: 19

Total Universal Copies Graded a 7.0+ by CGC: 2 (7.5) (8.0)

I'm assuming that you were being a little humorous/sarcastic with the "Superlameman", "bird cage", and "70 years of work" remarks. That being said and as a Superman fan myself...I take no offense.

But I think that it's more a matter of Marvel #1 not getting as much attention as it probably deserves than Action #1 getting too much. I've personally never understood the annoyance of seeing "too many" threads of any one particular book as I'm sure we all see countless threads every day that we pass by due to a lack of interest.

So seeing a number of threads dedicated to the same topic or same book doesn't bother me in the least; I just skip any thread I'm not interested in as I'm sure many of us do to multiple threads every time we sign in.

rantrant aside, I do realize that you were just trying to be funny...while sticking up for a great book that is often deprived of its just due.

So...a bit more details regarding the CGC census figures of the three aforementioned books.

Total Universal Copies Graded by CGC

Action Comics #1: 29

Detective Comics #27: 23

Marvel Comics #1: 21

Total Copies Graded a 7.0+ by CGC

Action Comics #1: 12

Detective Comics #27: 20

Marvel Comics #1: 20

Total Universal Copies Graded a 7.0+ by CGC

Action Comics #1: 3

Detective Comics #27: 6

Marvel Comics #1: 5

One has to also keep in mind that of all the key GA books in our hobby, Action Comics #1 is probably one of (if not THE) most likely to be graded by CGC for a myraid of reasons.

We've seen a number of copies sold over the past year; how many of them have been slabbed, and how many of them have been raw?

While of course we know that there are raw copies in private collections, I'd suspect that we've seen a greater percentage of remaining copies of Action #1 graded by CGC, than may be the case with other books.

Of course its all in jest but if someone could put that top 10 list together for me I would welcome it because I would like to see the stories. The problem is I don't think anyone would step up and do it because they would be scratching their heads trying to find 10. :shy: My jab about the Action #1 threads comes from a few years ago there was the odd thread about MC#1's and they were poop poop on for being discussed so much. Since then Action #1 threads have become a weekly event on these boards.

Interesting that the number of copied graded for the top 3 GA grails are practically identical. hm