• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How CGC handles Color Breaks

15 posts in this topic

The OSG says that any color breaking impacts immediately goes to 8.0 status--yet I've seen creases that break color (and multiple ones at that) that CGC out to 7.5.

So, my question is: does anyone have any information that they can share in regards to CGC grading to:

1. micro dot color missing on spine--very difficult to recognize

2. one or two breaking color creases (light) on spine

3. etc

Is this a binary deduction--or is there some leeway based on location and size of the defect?

I have no idea what you are talking about?

There are clearly CGC books that have color breaking stress lines that grade as high as 9.6 (usually Golden-Age) and 9.4 (Silver-Age or up).

The OSG says that any color breaking impacts immediately goes to 8.0 status--yet I've seen creases that break color (and multiple ones at that) that CGC out to 7.5.

Is this a binary deduction--or is there some leeway based on location and size of the defect?

There's lots of leeway. The Overstreet verbage has had that comment about color-breaking corner creases being representative of VF 8.0 books for over a decade, but then the pictoral examples in both grading guides clearly demonstrate that guideline isn't strict.

None of the Overstreet guidelines are that strict. The OGG explicitly says they're not absolutely strict, and Arnold Blumberg has said it so often he probably sounds like a broken record to himself! insane.gif

I have no idea what you are talking about?

There are clearly CGC books that have color breaking stress lines that grade as high as 9.6 (usually Golden-Age) and 9.4 (Silver-Age or up).

Exactly--someone was telling me that one micro dot = 8.0 automatically.

I asked him if he worked for CGG 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

All I'm saying is that what OSG says vs. reality is a large gap....

I've noticed that too. However, if you look at the accompanying photos in the OGG, there is at least one book in the 9.4 NM section with a small crease that appears to break color (the Amazing Spider-Man vol. 2, #36 at page 173 of the OGG, which has a color breaking crease of about 3/16th inch in the LRC, plus a color-breaking spine stress about 1/3rd the way up the spine). I think that the color-breaking creases that OGG refers to as driving a book below NM are more severe creases that form a solid color break.

As for your specific question, it's hard to say without seeing a particular book. Of course, Calamerica would automatically grade it a 7.5 if it has any color breaking creases at all. 27_laughing.gifhi.gif

So, my question is: does anyone have any information that they can share in regards to CGC grading to:

1. micro dot color missing on spine--very difficult to recognize

2. one or two breaking color creases (light) on spine

3. etc

My western penn 9.4 astonishing tales #12 has several color breaking stresses on the black spine. I have an 8.5 weird war #11 with a 1.5" full color breaking crease on the front cover, and several other examples similar. I think the deal is, if its really tight on the corners, there is more room for color breaking stress & vice versa confused-smiley-013.gif

Yeah, the deal/problem is that OS says that "...a color-breaking 1/4" crease..." is allowed only up to VF (something like that). As pointed out above, color-breaking spine stresses are commonly found on CGC 9.4 and 9.6 books, and I believe OS says that a NM book can have light spine stress.

I think in order to get a 9.4 or better grade from CGC on a book with color-breaking spine stresses or teeny corner creases, you need a "fresh" book that's nice and tight with good color/gloss and sharp edges and corners. IMHO, the overall state of preservation of a book goes a long way towards determination of the final grade, rather than the presence of a couple visually obvious defects like ss and corner creases.

Not only is grading subjective, but grading criteria are flexible as well - all the more reason not to pay multiples for a a .5 or a .2 grade bump. I used to think that people who graded in a range ( "8.5 or 9.0") were wimping out, but I'm starting to wonder if they're not more accurate. Not that they ever would, but It would be a riot if CGC started giving books a grade range instead of a specific grade. Heads would explode.

But CGC's biggest revenue stream comes from people submitting bronze and modern books looking for 9.6's and 9.8's +, does it not?

It is in CGC's best interests to perpetuate the 'distinction' between these books, is it not?

I'm just saying....

Look at this 9.4!!! Did CGC screw up?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2236647777&category=76

The 9.2 Western PA I just sold looked wayyyyyy better than that!

It was damaged in shipping.

That TOD does have a number of NON color breaking creases. I bet if it was pressed--it would be an easy 9.6...

Thanks for the info folks. I guess the method to the madness is just that--MADNESS.