• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do??

16 posts in this topic

Ok I think I'm about to get first neg. Heres the scoop.

Guy wins auction I send item priority mail with delivery confirmation. It's been 2 weeks and I get an email from buyer saying he never received the package. I immediately go to usps site and it shows package was delivered on 31st. I send email back to buyer telling him that when package was first mailed I sent him an email with the delivery conf. # and I just checked out the post office tracking number and it showed your package was delivered. So if you do not have the package you will need to contact your local P.O. and investigate. Please let me know what you find out. Sincerely, Rich

OK,

I did not insure package, he did not ask for insurance. If by chance this package does not show up what do you suggest? It was for $180.

you tracked the item...once it is confirmed delivered then it is no longer your responsibility. there may be an impact to your perceived reputation but as to what value you put on that can only be your decision.

I ran into a situation very similar to this about 6 months ago and the seller refunded my 1/2 the cost of the comic. Just thought you'd like to know what a nother seller did in this situation.

Only a foolish buyer doesn't take insurance for such a large purchase. SInce it was delivered by the post office, I don't think you need to take any additional action other than ask the buyer to check again to find out what might have happend to the item. My recommendation for you would be to require insurance in the future on all your sales. It's cheap, and it covers your backside!

V/R,

Mike

Most of the guys that buy autographed sports memorbilia from me don't pay for insurance even if the item sells for a couple hundred dollars. I recently had a MJ signed baseball that sold for over $200, and no insurance was paid for by the buyer. The buyer was extremely lucky as I had over charged shipping by a few dollars to cover packing materials, but I went ahead and sacrificed some of my profits to fully insure the item.

Guess what came up missing in the mail. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

After the fact the guy paid me back for the insurance, but honestly it is up to the buyer to purchase insurance and I can't see how the blame falls on the seller in any way as long as the buyer had the option to pay for insurance.

If I drive my car without insurance the maker of the car isn't going to cover damages if I wreck the car confused-smiley-013.gif

If I drive my car without insurance the maker of the car isn't going to cover damages if I wreck the car confused-smiley-013.gif

not a very appropriate analogy because in that case, u actually HAVE the car.

the analogous selling situation to your car situation would be that the receiver GETS the comics, proceeds to damage them, AND THEN requests a refund. that's not the case here.

not a very appropriate analogy because in that case, u actually HAVE the car.

the analogous selling situation to your car situation would be that the receiver GETS the comics, proceeds to damage them, AND THEN requests a refund. that's not the case here.

Whether it's a fair analogy or not ....the fact remains that the bidder didn't pay for insurance so the seller should not be held responsible as long as he can prove he set the item AKA postal receipt with correct Zipcode 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Most of the guys that buy autographed sports memorbilia from me don't pay for insurance even if the item sells for a couple hundred dollars. I recently had a MJ signed baseball that sold for over $200, and no insurance was paid for by the buyer. The buyer was extremely lucky as I had over charged shipping by a few dollars to cover packing materials, but I went ahead and sacrificed some of my profits to fully insure the item.

Guess what came up missing in the mail. foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

After the fact the guy paid me back for the insurance, but honestly it is up to the buyer to purchase insurance and I can't see how the blame falls on the seller in any way as long as the buyer had the option to pay for insurance.

Whoa Shane why didn't you tell me you had a Michael Jackson signed baseball I would have traded you some ASM's for it.

That's exactly what I do. Saves me from a lot of potential heartache. cloud9.gif

Only a foolish buyer doesn't take insurance for such a large purchase. SInce it was delivered by the post office, I don't think you need to take any additional action other than ask the buyer to check again to find out what might have happend to the item. My recommendation for you would be to require insurance in the future on all your sales. It's cheap, and it covers your backside!

V/R,

Mike

Whoa Shane why didn't you tell me you had a Michael Jackson signed baseball I would have traded you some ASM's for it.

I have lot's of stuff, but I won't post it on the comic forum. If ever need any Sports cards let me know as my deal to trade the rest of my cards for comics fell through after 3-months foreheadslap.gif

According to the post office, it was delivered. The buyer chose not to get insurance. You've done nothing wrong. It's now between him and the post office. If he negs you, explain the situation in your response. You don't owe him anything.

According to the post office, it was delivered. The buyer chose not to get insurance. You've done nothing wrong. It's now between him and the post office. If he negs you, explain the situation in your response. You don't owe him anything.

893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Brief, to the point and absolutly correct!!!

eBay's Terms of Service states:

"By bidding on an item you agree to be bound by the conditions of sale included in the item's description so long as those conditions of sale are not in violation of this Agreement or unlawful. Unless you and the seller agree otherwise, you will become the item's lawful owner upon physical receipt of the item from the seller, in accordance with Ca. Com. Code § 2401(2) and Uniform Com. Code § 2-401(2)."

There are several posters here who sound like they have legal knowledge - maybe they can help interpret that part of the TOS and if it would apply to your situation. Does Delivery Confirmation prove physical receipt of the item... I don't know. There's always a debate over this on eBay's Packaging & Shipping forum. In reading the posts there, it looks like eBay probably does accept DC as confirmation, but if the buyer used a credit card and PayPay, they might be able to contest the sale and their credit card company might not accept DC as proof of physical delivery. Again, I don't know...