• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What's a GA Bump ?

49 posts in this topic

Title says it all

Personally, I think it's non-existant.

People used to look at GA books in the past (I don't think it happens as often now as it used to) and think that GA books were graded much more loose than a SA book. Thing is people very rarely remember the tightly graded books.

I think a large part of that "GA bump" myth came from simply not understanding CGC grading standards.

For example, even Overstreet will allow larger defects in the same grade than a SA book would allow.

Personally, after owning and seeing 1000's of GA CGC graded books, I'd say there is no bump. I've had plenty of GA books graded that I thought were graded too tight as opposed to too loose.

Smitty, do you go by the same name on eBay?

CGC grades Golden Age books more leniently than SA books. It's the old 'it's a VF+ for its age' thing. :/

Overstreet did as well, though, didn't they?

I thought the GA bump was something that was entirely related to CGC and the perception that they graded GA books loose.

I don't get that though. The grading standards should be the same for all comics. If that means NM golden age books are really hard to find, well they should be. If that means NM bronze age books are really easy to find, well they should be. If people aren't buying because of the number on the label then it shouldn't even matter. The nicest copy is the nicest copy, even if it's a half a grade lower, right?

I don't get that though. The grading standards should be the same for all comics. If that means NM golden age books are really hard to find, well they should be. If that means NM bronze age books are really easy to find, well they should be. If people aren't buying because of the number on the label then it shouldn't even matter. The nicest copy is the nicest copy, even if it's a half a grade lower, right?

Hey, don't take it up with me. Take it up with Overstreet. They set those standards.

(shrug)

Title says it all

People used to look at GA books in the past (I don't think it happens as often now as it used to) and think that GA books were graded much more loose than a SA book. Thing is people very rarely remember the tightly graded books.

I think a large part of that "GA bump" myth came from simply not understanding CGC grading standards.

For example, even Overstreet will allow larger defects in the same grade than a SA book would allow.

Personally, after owning and seeing 1000's of GA CGC graded books, I'd say there is no bump. I've had plenty of GA books graded that I thought were graded too tight as opposed to too loose.

Let me just state that i'm a GA guy all day, every day. That's my thang.

That said, I thought the GA bump was a complete myth until I slabbed this book. After I got it back, I had some doubts. Please note this is a thick book, and there were areas of the cover, along the spine that were gone. Some at the top and bottom and near the upper staple if I recall. I think the missing piece from the top was maybe a 1/2" in length. You can kind of get an idea of where there was some missing material along the spine based on the white areas.

What grade would you say this book is? I still remember comments I got in the spare a grade forum years ago. I'm curious to see comparisons from now and back then.

MoreFun58front.jpg

MoreFun58back.jpg

Title says it all

That said, I thought the GA bump was a complete myth until I slabbed this book. After I got it back, I had some doubts. Please note this is a thick book, and there were areas of the cover, along the spine that were gone. Some at the top and bottom and near the upper staple if I recall. I think the missing piece from the top was maybe a 1/2" in length. You can kind of get an idea of where there was some missing material along the spine based on the white areas.

What grade would you say this book is? I still remember comments I got in the spare a grade forum years ago. I'm curious to see comparisons from now and back then.

MoreFun58front.jpg

MoreFun58back.jpg

7.0/7.5

7.0/7.5

hm

Very interesting guess. I'd like to get a few more guesses in before the big reveal :shy:

I will say that in the PGM thread I started for this book, oh, probably 3 years ago or so. Your guess would have been a significant outlier. Socratic Wonder threw in his guess. I think Ciorac too. Suffice it to say there were some very knowledgeable folks chiming in back then.

MoreFun58front.jpg

MoreFun58back.jpg

Was the paper completely missing in those spots or just the color?

Tough to grade without a photo of the spine dead on but it could go anywhere between 5.5 and 7.0 depending on exactly how much paper is missing.

(shrug)

Tough to grade without a photo of the spine dead on but it could go anywhere between 5.5 and 7.0 depending on exactly how much paper is missing.

(shrug)

Completely gone Roy. Basically just holed areas in the spine that revealed the first wrap.

Your estimation too is very different from what I got years ago. Evidence that grading standards evolve? hm

(shrug)

Completely gone Roy. Basically just holed areas in the spine that revealed the first wrap.

Your estimation too is very different from what I got years ago. Evidence that grading standards evolve? hm

Or that people better recognize how CGC grading works now than they did 3 years ago.

(shrug)

Hey, don't take it up with me. Take it up with Overstreet. They set those standards.

(shrug)

I know :)

Doesn't effect me much anyway. I could only afford the lowest grade GA out there ;)

(shrug)

Or that people better recognize how CGC grading works now than they did 3 years ago.

(shrug)

Possible.

Or, perhaps its a pattern of the boards? Over the years I have felt that people are stricter here than at CGC. Which could explain the discrepancy of the guesses I got 3 years ago to the actual grade received. (shrug)

I've seen GA books get a 5.0 that have looked much worse than yours.

I guess I am just factoring in my CGC experiences.