• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AFTER MUCH CONSIDERATION.....

120 posts in this topic

I see both sides to this arguement but the longer CGC doesn't change their stance on this issue, the harder it will be for them to do so down the road? confused-smiley-013.gifthumbsup2.gif

I would be quite happy if CGC merely included mention of professional pressing in their graders notes which are available to all. I am checking further into whether this is already the case.

I would be quite happy if CGC merely included mention of professional pressing in their graders notes which are available to all. I am checking further into whether this is already the case.

I agree, whatever they may know ,put that info on the label!!!! & bring back the grades along with the number system also . A more informed buyer is a happy buyer!!! IMO!!! hi.gif

....I've come to suspect that the only logical reason one would defend the practice of undisclosed pressing is:

COMPLICITY

sorry - that's BS!!!!!!

some of us (and i know that the ranks are small - don't care!!!) we're not complicit in any wrongdoing because there is NO wrongdoing. i've gone on the record before and will do so again - i don't care if a book has been pressed and it now looks better. i'm happy with that, in fact.

and when you think about the fact that only a tiny portion of a book may have been pressed (and get off the "flat as a pancake" bandwagon) it makes even less sense to get so riled up. and when you further consider that perhaps no one on this board can discern professional pressing, it becomes even more absurd.

i own a thousand virgin high-mid to low- high grade SA books and none have ever been touched and i should probably be on your side of the argument since that makes my books seem all the rarer - but i still don't care about pressing..............

whew......... tongue.gif

WOW Steamed-Up Boy! But seriously, in a way you are lucky to have all those virgin, raw books. And I have continually said if you don't mind pressed books, then all power to you and I would never criticize that.

But say I do have a thing about buying a pressed book,.....that I personally consider it an artificial way of pumping up a books grade and price. Should I not have some way of finding out if it has been pressed? Should that info be denied to a potential buyer. I mean is pressing done with the intent of preserving the book? No, it's purely done for cosmetic purposes and if anything, may damage the book. For a collector who wishes to make a book in his personal collection look nicer, I say, press on my man! But for a dealer to professionally press books for the main reason of cosmetically (and artificially) improving the surface look of a book in order to garner a multiple of a lower grade....well, I don't want any part of that.

I recognize that in many cases, raw books etc. the ability to detect professional pressing is near impossible. If I have a pet peeve in this area it is simply having to consider paying mulitples for a book that was pressed from a 9.4 to a 9.6. That's all. Full disclosure - if the info is available.

If I have a pet peeve in this area it is simply having to consider paying mulitples for a book that was pressed from a 9.4 to a 9.6. That's all.

Then catch the latest crazy, zany wave that all the kids are into these days and lower the multiples you're willing to pay for books graded that high. thumbsup2.gif

I am on the "Don't Care" bandwagon as well. Dealers aren't putting a gun to my head saying "BUY IT!!!", and if it is not in my budget then I'm not buying no matter what the multiple is.

Mountain out of a molehill is what it is... smilies-23455.png

You're actually missing a huge influence on this pressing debate, and that's the sheer amount of $$$ some people on here have tied up in CGC funny books.

I'd say "protecting your investment" would be my top pick for why some otherwise rational people, would suddenly jump on the "I love pressing" bandwagon.

Otherwise, you'd have to be a Grade A insufficiently_thoughtful_person to want a pressed 'ho book over a virgin, untouched beauty.