• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AFTER MUCH CONSIDERATION.....

120 posts in this topic

Now what's this? I'm getting a press as abelated B-day gift? 893applaud-thumb.gif YAY!

I would be willing to hoist a press to the next Tyson's show. I would assume he would want you to pick out the pressing candidates...VF giveaways or 50-cent books with 9.4-level color breaks would do.

I could probably deliver a press to Darth since he lives only one state away, although I dunno if he's got much interest since the issue is of minimal concern to Modern collectors.

I know Richmond is still a bastion of secession but Centreville (where I currently reside, right near Manassas) is still in VA confused-smiley-013.gif

Now what's this? I'm getting a press as abelated B-day gift? 893applaud-thumb.gif YAY!

Please...Rudd lives on the south-side of Richmond,...they don't know the war is over yet there.....

It's still going on in Manassas gossip.gif

I would be willing to hoist a press to the next Tyson's show. I would assume he would want you to pick out the pressing candidates...VF giveaways or 50-cent books with 9.4-level color breaks would do.

cool...I'll let you and JC work out the details and books. I'll just be the witness to the pressing thumbsup2.gif

My interest is piqued... time to make some top census price variants tongue.gif

cool...I'll let you and JC work out the details and books. I'll just be the witness to the pressing thumbsup2.gif

I'm in... thumbsup2.gif

How well does that book press work?

I found a couple of TMNTs that had been crammed into a comic box (not good for the spines). There are two #1's third edition and 3 #2's First edition. A little bit accordion-like unfortunately. (Luckily, I've got another half dozen that weren't abused like that.)

I could always place them between backing boards in a magazine bag and then dump a couple of hundred Epic Illustrated on them...

After seeing that press, which is pretty cool btw) I can understand why I have some bronze age books that are flattened out so bad that the page ends spread like a staircase effect but the book lies flat on the table 893scratchchin-thumb.gif possibly had spinal roll going on.....

I'm in... thumbsup2.gif

on making top census price variants? thumbsup2.giftongue.gif

I think it would require more than that. The problem with force-pressing is that it has to be applied for an extended period of time--I would say at least a few weeks. In other words, you'd have to take the press and change books every few weeks for a period of about 2 months; my press can accomodate 4 books at once.

I need to experiment with it more myself, first, unless someone who has done it a bit would like to list some exact procedures they've found that yield a really flat comic. I had a 1980s VF issue of "Marvel Age" in the press for about two weeks and didn't see a HUGE change when I took it out. It was generally flatter, but nothing dramatic; a slight 20-degree curve to one of the corners was still a slight 5-degree curve when I took it out. If anyone else has had better results when pressing without heat, please, share your experience!

I think it would require more than that. The problem with force-pressing is that it has to be applied for an extended period of time--I would say at least a few weeks. In other words, you'd have to take the press and change books every few weeks for a period of about 2 months; my press can accomodate 4 books at once.

I need to experiment with it more myself, first, unless someone who has done it a bit would like to list some exact procedures they've found that yield a really flat comic. I had a 1980s VF issue of "Marvel Age" in the press for about two weeks and didn't see a HUGE change when I took it out. It was generally flatter, but nothing dramatic; a slight 20-degree curve to one of the corners was still a slight 5-degree curve when I took it out. If anyone else has had better results when pressing without heat, please, share your experience!

I understand. I thought your press was best for the wet-press-and-dry method...

really, I'd be glad to help out ... I'm already thinking up of different applications smile.gif

I understand. I thought your press was best for the wet-press-and-dry method...

It might be...that's actually why I bought it. I wasn't convinced it was best for smoosh-it-to-hell pressing when I bought it, which is why I'd like to measure PSIs.

gossip.gif (FF struggles with the "A" word...) 27_laughing.gif

Well, since you're so eager to call attention to how you misused that word...remind me again how I ever claimed to "altruistically" build my comic book collection? confused-smiley-013.gifpopcorn.gif The two concepts are most commonly a contradiction in terms.

Actually, I already did, but as with so many OTHER threads where you've been proven a fool, you were conspicuously absent thereafter.

After all, the "contradiction," as you so ham-handedly put it, WAS the point... and you apparently still don't get it. foreheadslap.gif

After all, the "contradiction," as you so ham-handedly put it, WAS the point... and you apparently still don't get it. foreheadslap.gif

No, 'splain it to me like I'm 5, dipwad popcorn.gif

The funny part about this "Hate Pressing" vs "Don't Care" (the camp I'm in), is now everyone in the "Don't Care" camp wants a press. It's like I'm missing out on something.

Thanks to all the "Hate Pressing" collectors for bring this topic to our attention. thumbsup2.gif

The funny part about this "Hate Pressing" vs "Don't Care" (the camp I'm in), is now everyone in the "Don't Care" camp wants a press.

At this point, I bought mine for the same reason I bought a fine-tip brush, several different types of paint, and an exacto knife a long time ago--to learn resto detection by doing. Or perhaps it's REALLY for the hypothesis my own, personal troll posited a while back--because I'm a comickeys wannabe? 893scratchchin-thumb.gifshocked.gif