• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor Movie as good as Iron Man

602 posts in this topic

I saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it, I will go see it again.

How come no Balder the Brave?

All the other Kirby Thor supporting cast was represented, except Balder. Or did I miss him?

Saw it tonight and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Solid B+/A-

Didn't like it quite as much as Iron Man, but only a tiny bit. Branaugh effectively tapped into the Lee/Kirby theme of Thor as arrogant, needing to experience humanity to learn humility and ultimately being redeemed. If Cap is this good I am stoked.

Spoiler Alert

PS I haven't read this thread for ages, but early reviews said the SHIELD bowman was not Hawkeye. It was.

Renner should be a good Hawkeye.

only $66M in the opening weekend, it's a disappointment, couldn't even beat last weeks winner 'fast five'. :tonofbricks:

Let`s withhold judgment until we see how big the drop-off is in the 2nd week. But if it gets the typical 50%+ drop-off, the movie is going to struggle to hit even the $150 million domestic mark and will have to be considered a huge flop.

But Thor was already out 2 weeks worldwide before opening in USA. That worldwide count is at 174 Million.

I`m just talking about domestic gross. I`m not questioning that the movie is going to make money, particularly when overseas grosses are included. But to qualify as a real blockbuster, it must hit certain thresholds domestically, which I don`t think it will.

only $66M in the opening weekend, it's a disappointment, couldn't even beat last weeks winner 'fast five'. :tonofbricks:

Let`s withhold judgment until we see how big the drop-off is in the 2nd week. But if it gets the typical 50%+ drop-off, the movie is going to struggle to hit even the $150 million domestic mark and will have to be considered a huge flop.

But Thor was already out 2 weeks worldwide before opening in USA. That worldwide count is at 174 Million.

I`m just talking about domestic gross. I`m not questioning that the movie is going to make money, particularly when overseas grosses are included. But to qualify as a real blockbuster, it must hit certain thresholds domestically, which I don`t think it will.

These movies tend to die fast box- office wise, it`s like they get two good weeks then people are on to the next blockbuster.Also not many people will go back a second or third time like they did for Star Wars. An example is I like Thor but the next time I will watch in will be Comcast on- demand or on dvd, as when I was a kid I had to keep going back to Star Wars as there was no on-demand or dvds back in the day as an option. :preach:

These movies tend to die fast box office wise, it`s like they get two good weeks then people are on to the next blockbuster.Also not many people will go back a second or third time like they did for Star Wars. An example is I like Thor but the next time I will watch in will be Comcast on demand or on dvd,where as I was a kid I had to keep going back to Star Wars as there was no on demand or dvds back in the day as an option. :preach:

That`s the difference between a genuine blockbuster and everything else. The box office of a genuine blockbuster will decay less than 50% from week to week. We saw this with Avatar and Dark Knight.

Everything else, whether run of the mill hits or duds, will make around 50% of their total gross in the first week, and then decline by more than 50% each week thereafter.

I saw the movie last night and really enjoyed it, I will go see it again.

How come no Balder the Brave?

All the other Kirby Thor supporting cast was represented, except Balder. Or did I miss him?

and I notice no Executioner and Enchantress as well.

Why am I bringing this up? A lot of comic book auctions had hyped the first appearances of Balder,Executioner and Enchantress as being in the upcoming Thor movie. Things said in auctions such as get them now as they are in the movie.

The comic book auction sellers must have meant the second Thor movie. ;)

Saw Thor last Friday morning. Good movie...If Spiderman 2, Iron Man 1, and Dark Knight were 5 star movies, I'd give Thor 4 out of 5 stars (thumbs u

...some items I would have liked to see:

1. Thor wearing his helmet. He only wore it in the beginning.

2. More battle scenes. Other than the beginning with the Frost Giants and the end vs.

the Destroyer, the bulk of the movie shows Thor on earth without his powers.

3. Would have been nice to have Thor play Dr. Donald Blake on earth (only because I

wanted to see him strike his stick and become Thor!)

3. Would have been nice to have Thor play Dr. Donald Blake on earth (only because I

I also wanted to see this but from an FX standpoint that would have been hard to take him from a normal size guy to Thor every time he changed to Thor.

I think it was a good move to not have that in the movie but I like the Dr. Donald Blake name they gave him...a shout out to the fans...

I see a lot of people placing it just below Iron Man and Spider-Man 2... I liked it as much, and maybe more than those. Loved the settings, the characters, the character development, the fights, everything. I need another viewing or two.

It's hard to compare it to Iron Man and Spiderman. So I will just say it falls on that side of the fence. The side with the Good comic movies.

These movies tend to die fast box- office wise, it`s like they get two good weeks then people are on to the next blockbuster.Also not many people will go back a second or third time like they did for Star Wars. An example is I like Thor but the next time I will watch in will be Comcast on- demand or on dvd, as when I was a kid I had to keep going back to Star Wars as there was no on-demand or dvds back in the day as an option. :preach:

Another reason why the 66 million count is so low, is that it was held on Mother's Day weekend.

I just got back from the 3-D showing and thought it was an excellant movie. I'll definitely want to buy it on DVD. Quite a few departures from the comic, but all were necessary for the translation to film. I like the pro-science approach that Marvel instills into their films....it was like that in the SA when I first fell in love with this stuff. The Rainbow Bridge was phat....although it could have been more colorful. Inside the Bifrost chamber was :cloud9: A few more minutes with the Destroyer would have been cool. The Captain America trailer looked good. I don't know why I've read so many complaints about the GL trailer....I thought it rocked and I'm stoked for that *spoon*. I might see Thor a second time.GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I also wanted to see this but from an FX standpoint that would have been hard to take him from a normal size guy to Thor every time he changed to Thor.

I think it was a good move to not have that in the movie but I like the Dr. Donald Blake name they gave him...a shout out to the fans...

yah the story was good, so it would have been hard to have him change...unless Odin banished him to earth as a mortal "Donald Blake"..

I see a lot of people placing it just below Iron Man and Spider-Man 2... I liked it as much, and maybe more than those. Loved the settings, the characters, the character development, the fights, everything. I need another viewing or two.

I'm in the same boat. I loved everything about it. There really wasn't anything weak about the entire movie. I need to see it another time or two before I decide, but I might actually like Thor more than IM or Spidey2.

The FX were phenomenal. Absolutely incredible.

(...and I thought I was going to hate this movie.) :gossip:

I'm in the same boat. I loved everything about it. There really wasn't anything weak about the entire movie. I need to see it another time or two before I decide, but I might actually like Thor more than IM or Spidey2.

(... and I thought I was going to hate this movie .) :gossip:

Do you still think Green Lantern is going to suck????:baiting:

(... and I thought I was going to hate this movie .) :gossip:

Do you still think Green Lantern is going to suck????:baiting:

I saw the trailer for it before the Thor movie and it's changed my mind.

I thought it was going to suck monkey balls. Now I think it's only going to suck one of the monkey's balls.