• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Thor Movie as good as Iron Man

602 posts in this topic

my first 3D movie. overall pretty good. only complaint was how thor's character was developed. i just thought the whiny,spoiled brat thor was too over the top. and then the "good" thor was a little too goody-goody. nothing i can't live with, but they could have been a little more subtle.

I saw the movie for the first time today. I saw a bootleg version previously.

In watching the bootleg version, I thought that the movie was average. Watching it in theaters, I would upgrade it to "above average". I was not blown away by the film, but did enjoy watching it. Of the Marvel movies, I'd put four movies ahead of this one (Iron Man 1 & 2, X2 and Spider-Man).

Iron Man 2 :roflmao:

For some reason the 3D made me sick to my stomach....like being seasick. Its unusual because 3D movies have not in the past and I play 3D games on a nintendo 3DS. I left about a 3rd of the way in....came back and watched the 2D version. What a good movie!!!!

Me and my 8 year old son just got out of the movies. From the previews I was a little worried it would be real corny but I would say a definite B movie. It was fun to watch. It had some interesting story plots. Special effects were good. I liked Thors armour. Destroyer was great. I would say the 3D added little to the movie. My son loved it and wants to see it again. Not as good as the first Spiderman or several of the Batman movies but a great way to spend a cloudy Saturday with my son.

Watched it for the second time yesterday. Even better the second time around.

I realize what I like about this movie now...pretty much non stop action from start to finish. I agree, not as well written as Iron Man or DKR but lots of action.

I also paid particular attention to Thor's conversion...I was convinced that he converted and was worthy of the Hammer.

(thumbs u

Saw it Saturday - thought it was boring. The non-stop action must not have been in the version I saw.

I loved it. Shows how different everyone can be.

:applause:

Out of the four recent Marvel movies I thought it was the weakest. When you say non-stop action I don't think of a movie like this with simple elongated fight sequences where you obviously can predict the outcome. Nothing memorable.

I remember recently sitting in a packed movie theater for Battle L.A. - Not a good movie, and it had poor dialogue, but I'll be damned if half the audience wasn't literally sitting on the edge of their seats waiting for what was going to happen next... That movie was non-stop action and entertaining even if you had to chuckle over the bad dialogue.

With Thor I felt the great "Practical sets" and locations from the previous Marvel Movies were tossed aside for what looked obviously like a fabricated town in the desert and Asgardian green screen stages. The budget was obviously less for this film (confirmed by Marvel's happiness with the opening numbers) and to me it showed on screen. Maybe it was just necessary to establish the character before the Avengers film. (shrug)

If the movies were music Iron Man & Iron Man 2 were like Hard Rock whereas Thor was almost Easy Listening... After Iron Man, Iron Man 2, and even Hulk the movie audiences cheered and clap, there was none of that after Thor.

Just my opinion lol To each their own.

I saw the movie for the first time today. I saw a bootleg version previously.

In watching the bootleg version, I thought that the movie was average. Watching it in theaters, I would upgrade it to "above average". I was not blown away by the film, but did enjoy watching it. Of the Marvel movies, I'd put four movies ahead of this one (Iron Man 1 & 2, X2 and Spider-Man).

Iron Man 2 :roflmao:

Iron Man 2 was so bad that I left in the middle. I had previously thought that I could sit through any movie with Gwyneth Paltrow in it, but I was wrong.

Just came back from seeing Thor in 2D and thought it was awesome. In fact, I think it was almost (but not quite) "Asgard" as Spider-Man and better than Iron Man. I never read the Thor comics, so knew the least about this Marvel character (basically all I knew was what I got off of Slurpee cups as a kid). Hiddleston's Loki was a great villian and IMO bested only by Heath Ledger's Joker and perhaps Willem Dafoe's Goblin ("Can Spider-Man come out to play?"). Although I am a huge Marvel fan more than DC, my top five superhero flicks are Dark Knight, Spider-Man, Thor, Iron Man, and then Spider-Man 2.

Just came back from seeing Thor in 2D and thought it was awesome. In fact, I think it was almost (but not quite) "Asgard" as Spider-Man and better than Iron Man. I never read the Thor comics, so knew the least about this Marvel character (basically all I knew was what I got off of Slurpee cups as a kid). Hiddleston's Loki was a great villian and IMO bested only by Heath Ledger's Joker and perhaps Willem Dafoe's Goblin ("Can Spider-Man come out to play?"). Although I am a huge Marvel fan more than DC, my top five superhero flicks are Dark Knight, Spider-Man, Thor, Iron Man, and then Spider-Man 2.

Forgot to mention... I grade this movie at CGC 9.4 OW-W pages (thumbs u

I'm a huge Thor fan (probably my favorite part of my Silver Age collection).

I thought it was so-so. Definitely could have waited till it came out on DVD.

Asgard just looked far too fake for me.

Pat

I just saw the Austrian Press screening of Thor and I have to say, that the movie is fantastic. Like with Iron Man before I expected not much and was surprised how good it was. I can't say anything negative about it. I think Kenneth Branagh did a wonderful job, the whole concept of Asgard is well done and looks great. The Rainbow bridge is absolutely stunning.

There are no silly dialogs in the movie, all the actors did a fine job. I think Chris Hemsworth is a good Thor, his transformation from the arrogant character to the more grounded and caring character was well done. Anthony Hopkins plays a wonderful Odin and it's Hopkins' best performance in a long time. He really enjoys it. Tom Hiddleston plays the perfect Loki, sinister and sleazy as he should be.

Nice Special Effects, great Action scenes and some funny scenes which are actually really funny. Yes, and the Frost Giants were great too.

After this movie I have high hopes for the Avengers.

Here are some spoilers

- Nice cameo of Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye including bow

- After the end credits you see Samuel L. Jackson showing the Cosmic Cube to a scientist. Loki is still alive and watching the Cube. I think we will see Loki and the Cube playing a big role in the Avengers.

- Thor offering his help to Shield protecting Earth from every threat

No spoilers - anyone who dares to THINK that the THOR movie could wipe Shellhead's rust-jam in his boots is smokin' some really good Cheech-and-Chong stuff!!!

CAL who was disappointed in THOR movie.

I really liked it, I prefer it to the Iron Man films.

Wish the Destroyer did not get beat so easily, when in comic reality he is too much for Thor ;-)

Still really liked it, most probably me second favourite comic film in the last 15 years!

herc

I really liked it, I prefer it to the Iron Man films.

Wish the Destroyer did not get beat so easily, when in comic reality he is too much for Thor ;-)

Still really liked it, most probably me second favourite comic film in the last 15 years!

herc

Please don't take me wrong - I am glad the THOR movie wil turn out well. I had an inkling that this THOR movie would be the toughest for the Marvel Studio to pull off because of the unusual Norse Mythology plot(s), but imo they turned this into a Sci-Fi with their "transporter", SHIELDS' technology gone wild, the scientists doing extra T research, the Ice planet elements of the plot, etc. Having a real good cast w/ Ms. Portman/ Mr. Hopkins was excellent, but their performances based on the -script while adequate in the end, the -script was weak/lame to begin with. Yes, the Destroyer should have been more formidable, and Sif should have been used more/better( did you notice how stunningly pretty she was? OMG!). I did not make one dime on my THOR comics' acquisitions and this movie did not help any.

The studios today hype the bejesus out of their 150 million budget-produced products( I am pretty sure the THOR budget was 150 million), spend millions on P & A( prints and advertising), with the goal of getting people to see the final product. Business. IMO if they story is great, the movie will sell itself.

My mother can only recall TWO movies that she had to wait for days to see because the lines were so long and the movies sold a TON of tickets during their theatrical releases:

1) Psycho by Alfred Hitchcock

2. Love Story w/ Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neal.

Yes Psycho did have some, not a lot of $$$ but did have some promo, but Love Story is unique; word of mouth pushed this low-budget classic to the stature it obtained, and deservedly so. The music score won the Oscar in a "crowded field" of the super-saturated '70s, and that score got a lot of ladies to go and see this movie.

Superhero movies?

They usually do well, and is a Genre of their own, but I do recall one tidbit about the Ang Lee Hulk w/ Bana: that movie has the BIGGEST drop-off in recent Box Office history, dropping off sales in its 2ND WEEK over 69%.

True, the 2nd Iron Man did not do as well, despite Mickey Rourke. Again, weak plot and resolution did not help. Having shellhead and his buddy smash a bunch of androids at the end was more of "been there, seen that before", and the screening services that Marvel employed through Sony told Marvel brass such, but they did not change much after Act II.

CAL who is still shaking his head in disbelief about the THOR movie...

Saw it twice this weekend. I don't usually do that, but went with friends first, then took the boy today.

I had low expectations going in. In part because Thor is *ahem* kinda non-hetero, but also because it is a hard story to put into a 1.5-2 hour time slot.

Given the difficulty with the story's complexity, I'd say Marvel nailed it. It was appropriately restrained and gave you enough to know what was going on, but not too much to make it cheesy. Sure the plot had huge holes and the romance was contrived, but if I had to sacrifice another hour or two to fix that I wouldn't.

Natalie Portman sure made the movie easy to watch, but the actress who played Sif was stunning.

And making a comic movie appropriate to take a 7 year old to... whodathunkit? 'bout time Marvel.

I got no complaints.

Saw it twice this weekend. I don't usually do that, but went with friends first, then took the boy today.

I had low expectations going in. In part because Thor is *ahem* kinda non-hetero, but also because it is a hard story to put into a 1.5-2 hour time slot.

Given the difficulty with the story's complexity, I'd say Marvel nailed it. It was appropriately restrained and gave you enough to know what was going on, but not too much to make it cheesy. Sure the plot had huge holes and the romance was contrived, but if I had to sacrifice another hour or two to fix that I wouldn't.

Natalie Portman sure made the movie easy to watch, but the actress who played Sif was stunning.

And making a comic movie appropriate to take a 7 year old to... whodathunkit? 'bout time Marvel.

I got no complaints.

Forget those pothole-plot-holes, forget the complexities of a THOR flick,

So we agree on WHITE-HOT SIF!!!

CAL who was drooling( when the lady members of the CAL family wasn't looking)

Yes, Jaime Alexander is quite smokin'

Still holding out hope with a Sif:Thor:Jane Foster love triangle...

Throwing out hope for Beta Ray Bill and the Enchantress to show up. That would make for a love pentagon. Then Melody (Amora's little sister) shows up... Oy! Some sort of polygon shape, hopefully not a love hexagon in a sequel--too complex.

Team Sif all the way...

It was okay. Saw it at the drive-in. Might have to back and see it in the theatre. Would have liked to see cripple finding hammer after being chased by rock aliens, but I guess not. Was the Destroyer rehashed CGI from the awful Day The Earth Stood Still remake? Hopefully, the Marvel films get better as the summer goes on.

At first I thought you meant Kat Dennings, but then I realized you meant the girl in the first two pics below. Gorgeous face, nice body, although the boobs are a bit small. Kat's are right at that upper end at around DD before they get too big.

jaimie-alexander-thor1.jpg

kylexy_3_14014268.jpgKatDennings.jpg

Me and my 8 year old son just got out of the movies. From the previews I was a little worried it would be real corny but I would say a definite B movie. It was fun to watch. It had some interesting story plots. Special effects were good. I liked Thors armour. Destroyer was great. I would say the 3D added little to the movie. My son loved it and wants to see it again. Not as good as the first Spiderman or several of the Batman movies but a great way to spend a cloudy Saturday with my son. [/quote

and my 10 year old son loved it.My son never cared about Thor till this movie and that`s what this movie did. It introduced a whole new audience to Thor. Believe it or not more people know about Thor because of this movie than the comics. That`s why we should embrace these movies as they are introducing new fans to the wonders of comic books. Enjoy it now because you never know as Hollywood could get fickle, and could abandon the superhero genre and move on to the videogame genre. So bring on Captain America and Green Lantern! :cloud9:

Kat's are right at that upper end at around DD before they get too big.

Unfortunately for Kat, she`s been hit in the face by Mjolnir one time too many.

Cannot agree. As is, she's about 6/10 in the face, with a nose job reducing the size of the bridge, she'd be about 8/10. When averaged with her body as-is she's about 7/10 right now. Her face is definitely a step below Jaimie though whose is about 8/10 naturally, possibly a 10 if she got a nose job.

dennings.jpg