• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

There's a Lot of Anger on the Boards...

81 posts in this topic

Anyone else notice this? I log on in a great mood, then read the pressing wars, EBay bad buys, grading issues with sellers, insults, and other street fight threads, and after reading a few, I get all fired up and join in.

Anyone else find their good mood evaporating once they enter the forum? confused-smiley-013.gif

It's that JC guy, he's is a trouble maker.....................Oh sorry I didn't realize you started this thread JC.................it's that Redhook guy....ya he's the one starting all of this hoopla 893frustrated.gif

I actually agree with you JC and I have been caught up in it once or twice myself. It just seems like when differences of opinion occur, we just can't let it go. Everyone tries to persuade everyone else that their way of thinking is correct and when that doesn't work then flame wars breakout.

I can typically avoid these, but again some times we all take a few steps back on the evolutionary ladder and start clubbing folks!! makepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

....cant we all just get along.... tonofbricks.gifgrin.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

pressing wars,

I think that's largely it, JC. I mean, this development has all the forum's hot buttons:

- CGC vs. anti-CGC ( Pressing is ok if CGC gives it a blue label vs. this proves CGC is 893censored-thumb.gif )

- the coming comics crash ( Our pressed Blue label books are worthless! )

- scams and the scamming scammers (real or imagined)

- flashbacks to the meth/hammer resto wars

...or maybe our bad mood is what we get without having hammer, bugaboo and the political forum around to blow off steam? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Okay Krypto,

PUT EM UP!

No seriously, I hear ya'. I'll take the pledge.

I did call up Mark Haspel, Senior Grader at CGC, and like many others who have called CGC, found my call welcome and many of my questions answered.

We discussed the graders notes for the Daredevil 11 9.6 Green River re-sub that I have been having a friggin' cow over, here are the facts from Mark:

-Two graders gave this book a 9.6, one grader gave it a 9.4, and the only noticeable problem with the book was that it had some light spine wear.

-CGC can of course detect poor/amateur pressing. In essence, professional pressing is undetectable. So there would be nothing in the notes about it, if it were a top notch job.

-He said that pressing is not magical. A candidate for pressing has to have the correct set of defects to benefit from pressing. You just don't pop any 9.0 into the press and magically get a 9.4 or better. For instance, a book with staple tears will actually look worse after pressing.

-He said pro pressing in his opinion does no structural damage to a book. Amateur pressing, obviously would.

I did not ask for the graders notes on the book when it was graded as a 9.4. Should have to compare.

Anyway, those are the facts. Sckao was 100% sure his book had been pressed, after it left him as a 9.4. At this point, I am willing to call this a draw, because at this point, there is no way to prove this conclusively. I still believe there is circumstantial evidence here, but I don't see any way of making it stick. So I'm letting it go for now.

Just to wrap up, I guess for now, we just have to make our own choice on how the possiblity of pressing will effect our personal purchasing strategy. I absolutely believe it is being done. I also believe there is not a lot to be done about it, right now. I don't like it, I do think there is something unethical about it.

And thanks to Mark and CGC for being there immediately at the other end of the line, with upfront answers to my questions.

So I wll let it go for now.

Group hug anyone? flowerred.gif27_laughing.gifinsane.gif

Reach out and touch....somebodys hand......make this a better world,..if you can......reach out and touch....somebodys...etc..etc...rinse ,repeat..... crazy.gif

HAPPY HAPPY, JOY JOY

HAPPY HAPPY, JOY JOY

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

(love Ren and Stimpy!! thumbsup2.gif)