• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VARIANTS!

62 posts in this topic

I hate variants now. Most of them anyway. In the past, I would hanker after them and aim to collect as many as I could. Then after i got into sketches, I felt it more worthwhile to pay more for sketches than or variants.

I think the less variants they put out, the better their value can hold. Some variants I still treasure to this day would be ult Spidey 1 white and df variant.

I agree that in the main, variants are becoming ridiculous but only when the variant solicitation levels are comparable to the normal version.

I collect Grimm Fairy Tales and Zenescope tend to have multiple variants for every issue. Where Zenescope win with their variants is the tiny solicitation levels and cover art that is usually far superior to the normal "Cover A" Most sell out providing the true collector with a challenge to complete (If they are inclined).

9 times out of 10, you can walk into any LCS and pick up every Marvel or DC variant on the first attempt. No real challenge so no real satisfaction for the dedicated collector.

I really wish that was true, it would make my life a lot easier. My LCS rarely orders enough copies of books to get all the variants.

Change your LCS, lol, mine is like Stryfe's, unless its a #1 I can always walk in and pick up a a ton a Batman variants to the point that I've ended up with atleast 5 doubles in the past few months. You know how it is, you drive an hour to get to the store and sometimes you just want to grab your books and beat the traffic home, so I'd just grab each variant on the shelf thinking it must be new since I took them all the last time I was there. When I brought them back to trade and got a $1 of store credit a piece for books a paid $6-10 on, I decided modern variants wasn't for me :)

Why do they make this soooo hard for me?

X-Men Variants

Some are meh, but a couple are pretty nice!

The Storm and Angel variants will definitely be in my collection.........I feel so ashamed...... :fear:

Damnit monkey....... i thought i was able to quit this month....... now they just PULL me right back in...... doh!:ohnoez:

I too agree. Even though I'm a Thor fan, there's no way I'm going to shell out $$ for these dumb covers.

I think that is an understatement. I am a UXM completest. I was also a X-men (2010) completest, but after issue #10 i am done. no less than 50 different books for ten issues (including newsstands) ... i cannot justify so many variants. It is just stupid. The 'thor goes to hollywood' cover from X-men #10 solidifies the above quote. So sad. :frustrated:

Some of these have been fun to track down. I mostly just get DC variants and I just finished my WW run from 600-up. The Hughes color variant of 600 seems to be one of the hardest to get even though the sketch version has a lower print run. The last time I saw a copy on e-bay it went for $70.

I couldn't believe I had to pay over $50 to get the JLA 50 variant on e-bay, but I had to get that Jim Lee cover. The some of the Batman variants are kind of hard to get for a reasonable price, but for the most part the rest are somewhat easy.

Is anyone else having a tough time finding a variant?

That's the caveat, all the variants are listed as PI (price increased).

I try to do my homework first on the books, since early on I didn't know the range on some were pretty high.

Me: "I'm here for my Batman Incorporated #1 Sketch Variant"

LCS: "Great, that will be $120"

Me: "What the..... :sick:"

Good one. lol back when I was still into variants, I always called in to ask about the prices first. But seriously, you guys will die laughing at the prices of them. For instance, a heroic age variant (say for ASM 63x) runs for something between 20-25 USD.

The most ridiculous pricing I saw was at another LCS. They listed the foil variants of the newer ultimate titles for like 65 usd.