• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you?

12 posts in this topic

Would you buy a lot of 1400 comics in the blind for $200?

The books are a mix of everything between the years of 1980-1998 with a few older and newer books included. Most stock unread books. Guaranteed not many duplicates but will be a few with a lot this size.

So what would you do?

My personal rule of thumb for stuff in this range is I will go about 20 cents each for stuff I get to pull from the lot.

I'd pay less than a nickel if I had to take it all and worry about how on earth I'd get rid of 4 out of 5 of them.

Might be worth asking your LCS what they will give you for bulk books. (Unless they are the guys trying to unload them on you! 27_laughing.gif)

Well My partner decided they would be worth the risk and bought them. We just decided to pick what we need from them for our collections and then we are going to ship the rest to his brother who is overseas kicking arshe. He can then hand them out to the men and women who are protecting us.

But please what would rest of ya done. Take the risk at 14 cent a book or not.

The books are a mix of everything between the years of 1980-1998 with a few older and newer books included. Most stock unread books. Guaranteed not many duplicates but will be a few with a lot this size.

So what would you do?

I think the real bottom line is what why would you by them? I mean, would you buy them for potential resale, as a collector of that period or what?

So what would you do?

I think the real bottom line is what why would you by them? I mean, would you buy them for potential resale, as a collector of that period or what?

First idea was to buy them as a hole filler for our collections in that time frame and flip the rest but we decided against the second part already. see above....

So what would you do?

First idea was to buy them as a hole filler for our collections in that time frame and flip the rest but we decided against the second part already. see above....

Looks like we cross-posted! And looks like your final idea is a good one. Fill in the holes and send the rest overseas for the folk there. Looks like a good final solution.

I've done this 3 or 4 times on ebay. Basically I keep my max bid low enough to equal 20 cents or less per comic, including shipping/handling.

I was quite happy with the results.

But, you have to factor in what exactly it is you are buying. And why?

Would I have done this strictly to buy and flip for a profit? No.

In my case, I'd gotten out of collecting in the late 70s early 80s. So, for me, this was a chance to pick up a large collection of various publishers and titles that I'd never read.

I also went into it, considering none of the comics to be of better grades than readers. Basically worthless.

In the end, I probably ended up with 4-5 long boxes of VF+ to NM- comics to read and maybe 2 1/2 LBs of doubles.

The doubles I've been passing out as gifts to friends and relatives. grin.gif

I've done this 3 or 4 times on ebay. Basically I keep my max bid low enough to equal 20 cents or less per comic, including shipping/handling.

I was quite happy with the results.

But, you have to factor in what exactly it is you are buying. And why?

I've bid on massive lots on eBay before.. but I think they generally went for about 10-13 cents per book when you factor in shipping. (I'm talking about 15-30,000 comic book lots.)

A lot of these collections are mostly unboarded or bagged ten at a time so they can fit at least 300 comics in each long box.

So what would you do?

The experience I have had with lots...

"1980-1998" = 90% 1996-present, 9% 1993-1996, 1% everything else.

"unread stock" = back room unsold overstock in no better than VF/NM.

"not many duplicates" = lots of duplicates.

893frustrated.gif