• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So where the heck has Lighthouse been anyway?

47 posts in this topic

So where the heck has Lighthouse been anyway?

I've been wondering that myself...

Short version of the story is:

Computer decided to eat its operating system and a couple dozen applications a week ago Monday. Spent two days trying to reinstall the system but couldn't get it to remain stable for more than an hour or two at a time. Reinstalled it a total of eight times last week while trying to regain function. Discovered that three programs I use on a regular basis (including my primary email program) no longer exist anywhere on the internet. Finally was able to get everything replaced, pulling from an old computer I had in a storage unit that I used as a backup hard drive in 2001, then...

Broke a crown and spent three days doped up on pain meds while waiting for my dentist to get back from his vacation, so he could give me a temporary solution to last me through the weekend so I could do a show in Seattle, then...

Did the worst show of my life in Seattle, mostly in a pain-med stupor. The only saving grace were some amazing buys which were only available because there were dealers there doing even worse than I was. It's not every day you can pick up a complete copy of Fantastic Four #2 for a price in double-digits. Watched a guy next to me buy five FF's under #10 and four Spideys under #10 for 70% off of guide in grade, books I could have had at that price but would have never expected that I needed to bring $3,000 in cash to a show that averages 500 attendees. My buying day was good, his was better. Then...

Get back home at 1am from Seattle to discover that the computer has taken the weekend as an opportunity to eat yet more programs (including my primary email program, again). Stay up until 5am getting most everything back. Crash until morning and wake up to discover I installed the wrong versions of two programs, but strangely the system is running better than it did the previous week, then...

Finally get a semi-permanent solution to my crown, but the dentist uses far too much novocaine and I sleep for most of fifteen hours while waiting for the throbbing to go away and the room to stop spinning, then...

After two more crashes, I break down and do what I probably should have done in the first place, spending four hours transferring data onto my backup computer and then wiping the hard drive on this one. It will be a couple weeks before I get all my settings back the way I want them, but I plan to replace the computer entirely by then so I really don't care at this point...

The bright sides:

Just before I broke the crown I was able to pull all of my eBay and PayPal records and print them out, so even while my computer was gunnysack I was still able to get my packages shipped out, albeit about a week to ten days later than they should have been. And apparently even when doped up on meds I can pack CGC books like a fiend, at least that's what the folks leaving feedback have been saying.

I picked up a Fine copy of Harvey #4 at the Seattle show. It's the only issue higher than #2 I have ever seen, and I got it for under guide.

I now know what I did for five hours a day before I found this place. Apparently I wandered around in a drugged up stupor, yelled obscenities at my CPU, and ate lots of pudding... Hmmm... maybe being here isn't so bad after all...

At least Camile Velasco finally got voted off American Idol. One less reason for me to yell at my television...

Lighthouse

You say you had a COMPUTER crash (which was bad) and a COMIC crash (which was good)?????

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes on both counts... and the comic crash could have been real and spectacular had I realized just how badly the show would do. Seeing an FF 5 sell for 70% off guide in grade right in front of me was foreheadslap.gif

You say you had a COMPUTER crash (which was bad) and a COMIC crash (which was good)?????

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yes on both counts... and the comic crash could have been real and spectacular had I realized just how badly the show would do. Seeing an FF 5 sell for 70% off guide in grade right in front of me was foreheadslap.gif

"That's a lot of nuts!"

So, what was the market looking like for LOSH #300? 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"That's a lot of nuts!"

You know another board member is heavily interested in LOSH 300 Clark. You should also check with him about this books prospects.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"That's a lot of nuts!"

You know another board member is heavily interested in LOSH 300 Clark. You should also check with him about this books prospects.

I see... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif Obviously a superior being of impeccable tastes... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I wonder how he feels about Crisis books? Green Lantern 195?

Just before I broke the crown I was able to pull all of my eBay and PayPal records and print them out, so even while my computer was gunnysack I was still able to get my packages shipped out, albeit about a week to ten days later than they should have been.

I wonder if I have a package coming 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Hope the next week is better for ya 'House

You were gone? smirk.gif

I wish they would have gotten rid of the dopey white guy singers on AI - they are both the worst singers EVER! mad.gif They make Carmen sound like Aretha Franklin!

Three of the books I picked up at the show...

Paid $18 for this:It has a tiny chip from the URC.

hos89.jpg

Paid $28 for this:I apologize for the glare on the bottom edge, but I am not about to take this back out of the mylar. I'll let the guys at CGC do that. The two white spots along the spine above the bottom staple are both on the mylar, not the book. The bottom edge is actually even sharper than the top edge...

tod4.jpg

Paid $17 for this:

tos41.jpg

Paid $28 for this:I apologize for the glare on the bottom edge, but I am not about to take this back out of the mylar. I'll let the guys at CGC do that. The two white spots along the spine above the bottom staple are both on the mylar, not the book. The bottom edge is actually even sharper than the top edge...

tod4.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gifWanna sell it to me for $40? insane.gif

Hey Lighthouse, did you ever decide who you were going to give exhibitor badges to for WonderCon? I wound up paying for a regular adult admission, but I'd still like to get one of your badges for Thursday access. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Hey Lighthouse, did you ever decide who you were going to give exhibitor badges to for WonderCon? I wound up paying for a regular adult admission, but I'd still like to get one of your badges for Thursday access. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

You're on my list... I have to send it in on Friday, so if anyone else wants an exhibitor badge let me know ASAP what it's worth to you... I found out over the weekend that the Buxom Assistant won't be helping me out at the show after all, so anyone interested in helping out for a few hours during the show in exchange for a pass should let me know...

Oh yeah... forgot to post this book:

It's no beauty, but it's all there. And it smells fantastic...

ff2.jpg

You're on my list... I have to send it in on Friday, so if anyone else wants an exhibitor badge let me know ASAP what it's worth to you... I found out over the weekend that the Buxom Assistant won't be helping me out at the show after all, so anyone interested in helping out for a few hours during the show in exchange for a pass should let me know...

Oh yeah... forgot to post this book:

It's no beauty, but it's all there. And it smells fantastic...

ff2.jpg

What about for SD? confused.gif

What about for SD? confused.gif

Still not positive I am setting up...

Although the more I think about it, I could probably pay for half my booth space at SD just by dumping the exhibitor badges to forumites... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

hmmmm.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif