• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading and submissions

5 posts in this topic

Greetings to the list. I am as green as they come to the comic grading world. Was an avid collector for nearly 25 years then dropped of the game for mundane responsibilities. I am now revisiting my old collection and am finding it difficult to gauge the value of the books.

When do you know if a particular book carries enough value that you would consider getting it graded? Or, should somene just get their books graded based on the age of the piece (mostly silver age stuff), protecting the piece, etc?

Please pardon the interuption if this type of question has been previously asked.

Best Regards,

Lazaro_1

Throw some boooks up here to be graded, get a feel for grading and grab a price guide and/or GPA access. All will then become clear. :)

1st off I would go with Key issues that have the most value to you the collector. After getting some graded you will have a better idea of how the grades will will get. I recently submitted 6 modern issues, and thought would grade out at or around 9.2-9.6. But, today when I got home I got the surprise of a lifetime when I had gotten four issues that got 9.8's, and the other 2 got 9.6's. I have had very good results so far with the grades from CGC, but the time and waiting is another thing all together.

Thanks for the tips you Boozad and Big Cool. I will follow your suggestions. Post some scans and also just pull the trigger and submit one or two of what I believe are my more valuable books like AMS #6, 7, 9 and Annual #1, Thor #93 and DD #7. We'll see what results I get.

Thanks again and I will be in touch.

Lazaro

# 1 count the pages of your comics

# 2 Take photos of :

A) Front Cover (whole)

B )Top Left Front Cover

C) Top Right Front Cover

D) Bottom Left Front Cover

E) Bottom Right Front Cover

F) CENTERFOLD ( where you can see the staples when you open the book )

G) Back Cover (Whole)

H) Top Left Back Cover

I) Top Right Back Cover

J) Bottom Left Back Cover

K) Bottom Right Back Cover

Note the page whiteness level

FACTORS to CONSIDER

Storage each encapsulated book will weigh at least 1 pound

Sales just because your book is valuable, you still got to work to sell it

I would get a copy of the Official Overstreet's Comic Book Grading Guide SECOND EDITION (there is a third ed. but I didnt write in THAT one lol)

and go from there.

email me at comicdarling@aim.com and I can help you for no charge pick the ones to grade. I dont look here that often :cloud9: