• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lazy CGC grading - just call it 0.5 so we can go home...

30 posts in this topic

CGC IS THE NEW STD

Herpes is so 2004. :cool:

Yeah but 2004 is SO 1985.

Actually, 1985 is the new 2007.

THINK, MCFLY! THINK!

I WISH I HAD NEVER GOT RID OF MY PLUTONIUM CONTACTS AFTER 2001, RIGHT NOW I WOULD STILL BE MARRIED TO WINONA.:(

CGC IS THE NEW STD

Herpes is so 2004. :cool:

Yeah but 2004 is SO 1985.

Actually, 1985 is the new 2007.

THINK, MCFLY! THINK!

I WISH I HAD NEVER GOT RID OF MY PLUTONIUM CONTACTS AFTER 2001, RIGHT NOW I WOULD STILL BE MARRIED TO WINONA.:(

Dude, you got off easy.

That person_without_enough_empathy would have taken you to the cleaners and then told the judge it was research for a "role" she was taking. :doh:

That broad was never the same after Johnny Depp had his way with her!

THAT DAMN PIRATE ! (not you, Anthony---but feel free to take credit)

I didn't see this thread anywhere let me know and I'll close this if it already exists.

First let me point out that the grade a comic gets in the golden age tier has very little affect on the price paid to CGC for grading. Second much of the following discussion will revolve around gold label books (but applies to all too). The emphasis here will be trying to convince CGC to INCREASE their number of low end grade tiers. NOT ALL 0.5's ARE EQUAL!!! SO PLEASE ADD SOME DIFFERENTIATION!!!

So we have SEVEN very high end tiers NM-MT (9.0-10.0) and we have TWO or three very low end tiers (NG-1.0). Now which of those two grade sets do you think more golden age books fit into? (If you said NM-MT you need to adjust your search filters trust funder)

Ok so why does CGC need to sit on a book for a couple months to "grade" it when it's missing the back cover and will almost definitely get a 0.5 grade? And really, did I just pay for that?

Below is the link to my sad book I will lose $ on: (yes I know I should have done my homework better, but still....!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110674849252&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_531wt_1140

It was qualified missing the ads page - not affecting the story. I thought it would come back a gold label with a green top stripe (like restored CGC SS books get). OOops was I wrong! (4.0Q falls to 0.5SS)

Seems to me two things could have happened here instead (besides me doing my homework :P).

1. Put a qualified stripe @ label top like restored's get. or

2. Fine ok put the 0.5, but in the comments put something to the tune of "otherwise grades as 4.0"

But instead CGC takes the laziest route possible and we just call them all 0.5's!?

Now for my earlier hinted at option 3 (for all books not just SS).

3. MAKE MORE LOW END TIERS!!! (NG, 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.8, 1.0,1.5,2.0)

or maybe use #2 above for all the books?

I paid you to grade the book, so could you please do that?

Now that I'm done ranting I'd like to point out I'm a noob here so I hope there isn't too much mis-information in the above. And besides what it may sound like, I do LOVE CGC, but it could be EVEN BETTER IMHO. PLUS I LOVE MY golden's and I simply can't afford a 1.8 Batman #1 to where it's getting closer into the "proper" grading range. You know - where the grade actually means something. (I almost put this in the general CGC forum, maybe I should?) Perhaps some of you genius' have even better solutions to the "problems" I mention than I do.

I am going to try and give you an answer without sounding like a . I will probably fail, but here goes.

It is not up to CGC to help you muddle through whether your decision to get your Hulk signed by Stan Lee will be a money maker. They grade the book and that is it. When it presented with missing pages, they had no choice but to give it a 0.5 after it had been signed.

The problem in this case is that you did absolutely no research before subbing that book. If you had, you would have known that that (Q) book is not going to maintain its apparent grade after it is signed. It would not have been hard. There would have been many people that would have told you on here, and the folks at CGC would certainly have told you.

I admonish everyone. Please do some research and understand what you are doing before getting something signed. Especially if you are getting something signed with the hope that the "Stan Lee magic wand" is going to add value to a low grade key.

I didn't see this thread anywhere let me know and I'll close this if it already exists.

First let me point out that the grade a comic gets in the golden age tier has very little affect on the price paid to CGC for grading. Second much of the following discussion will revolve around gold label books (but applies to all too). The emphasis here will be trying to convince CGC to INCREASE their number of low end grade tiers. NOT ALL 0.5's ARE EQUAL!!! SO PLEASE ADD SOME DIFFERENTIATION!!!

So we have SEVEN very high end tiers NM-MT (9.0-10.0) and we have TWO or three very low end tiers (NG-1.0). Now which of those two grade sets do you think more golden age books fit into? (If you said NM-MT you need to adjust your search filters trust funder)

Ok so why does CGC need to sit on a book for a couple months to "grade" it when it's missing the back cover and will almost definitely get a 0.5 grade? And really, did I just pay for that?

Below is the link to my sad book I will lose $ on: (yes I know I should have done my homework better, but still....!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110674849252&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_531wt_1140

It was qualified missing the ads page - not affecting the story. I thought it would come back a gold label with a green top stripe (like restored CGC SS books get). OOops was I wrong! (4.0Q falls to 0.5SS)

Seems to me two things could have happened here instead (besides me doing my homework :P).

2. Fine ok put the 0.5, but in the comments put something to the tune of "otherwise grades as 4.0"

But instead CGC takes the laziest route possible and we just call them all 0.5's!?

Now that I'm done ranting I'd like to point out I'm a noob here so I hope there isn't too much mis-information in the above. And besides what it may sound like, I do LOVE CGC, but it could be EVEN BETTER IMHO. PLUS I LOVE MY golden's and I simply can't afford a 1.8 Batman #1 to where it's getting closer into the "proper" grading range. You know - where the grade actually means something. (I almost put this in the general CGC forum, maybe I should?) Perhaps some of you genius' have even better solutions to the "problems" I mention than I do.

I am going to try and give you an answer without sounding like a . I will probably fail, but here goes.

It is not up to CGC to help you muddle through whether your decision to get your Hulk signed by Stan Lee will be a money maker. They grade the book and that is it. When it presented with missing pages, they had no choice but to give it a 0.5 after it had been signed.

The problem in this case is that you did absolutely no research before subbing that book. If you had, you would have known that that (Q) book is not going to maintain its apparent grade after it is signed. It would not have been hard. There would have been many people that would have told you on here, and the folks at CGC would certainly have told you.

I admonish everyone. Please do some research and understand what you are doing before getting something signed. Especially if you are getting something signed with the hope that the "Stan Lee magic wand" is going to add value to a low grade key.

Not sure I'm quite comfortable with the thought of Stan Lee using his "magic wand" to sign books :eek:

Not to throw a fly in the ointment, but it appears that is exactly what he was trying to do based on his asking price.