• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lazy CGC grading - just call it 0.5 so we can go home...

30 posts in this topic

I didn't see this thread anywhere let me know and I'll close this if it already exists.

First let me point out that the grade a comic gets in the golden age tier has very little affect on the price paid to CGC for grading. Second much of the following discussion will revolve around gold label books (but applies to all too). The emphasis here will be trying to convince CGC to INCREASE their number of low end grade tiers. NOT ALL 0.5's ARE EQUAL!!! SO PLEASE ADD SOME DIFFERENTIATION!!!

So we have SEVEN very high end tiers NM-MT (9.0-10.0) and we have TWO or three very low end tiers (NG-1.0). Now which of those two grade sets do you think more golden age books fit into? (If you said NM-MT you need to adjust your search filters trust funder)

Ok so why does CGC need to sit on a book for a couple months to "grade" it when it's missing the back cover and will almost definitely get a 0.5 grade? And really, did I just pay for that?

Below is the link to my sad book I will lose $ on: (yes I know I should have done my homework better, but still....!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110674849252&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_531wt_1140

It was qualified missing the ads page - not affecting the story. I thought it would come back a gold label with a green top stripe (like restored CGC SS books get). OOops was I wrong! (4.0Q falls to 0.5SS)

Seems to me two things could have happened here instead (besides me doing my homework :P).

1. Put a qualified stripe @ label top like restored's get. or

2. Fine ok put the 0.5, but in the comments put something to the tune of "otherwise grades as 4.0"

But instead CGC takes the laziest route possible and we just call them all 0.5's!?

Now for my earlier hinted at option 3 (for all books not just SS).

3. MAKE MORE LOW END TIERS!!! (NG, 0.1, 0.3, 0.5, 0.8, 1.0,1.5,2.0)

or maybe use #2 above for all the books?

I paid you to grade the book, so could you please do that?

Now that I'm done ranting I'd like to point out I'm a noob here so I hope there isn't too much mis-information in the above. And besides what it may sound like, I do LOVE CGC, but it could be EVEN BETTER IMHO. PLUS I LOVE MY golden's and I simply can't afford a 1.8 Batman #1 to where it's getting closer into the "proper" grading range. You know - where the grade actually means something. (I almost put this in the general CGC forum, maybe I should?) Perhaps some of you genius' have even better solutions to the "problems" I mention than I do.

Ok so why does CGC need to sit on a book for a couple months to "grade" it when it's missing the back cover and will almost definitely get a 0.5 grade?

You are the kind of guy who tries to jump the line at the grocery store because you've "only got one thing", right?

Believe it or not, CGC's got a lot of customers. You send in your book, you get in line. Your book isn't more important than any of hundreds or thousands that were already waiting to be graded before you sent in yours.

The ease or difficulty of grading the book doesn't matter.

I know this is wayy off-topic, but I am a huge fan of your Civil War set (thumbs u

As for the grading, I agree. That book isn't a 0.5 SS. It is a 4.0 Q SS. Sucks that they don't have a label for that right now, since there are plenty of books that would benefit IMO. I think they would also make more money off of it with people submitting books for the Q SS label as opposed to balking because of the 0.5 SS.

Just my opinion, I know it would be difficult for CGC at this point to implement a new label.

Nope didn't call. I want to see if I can get others to rally behind me.

The hold up? I know CGC and Overstreet try to "keep things standard" but IMO CGC IS THE NEW STD. And they should take all the liberties like this that they can. After all I wonder how much business they are losing due to this sloppy low end grading schema? Must be pretty substantial.

Perhaps we can come to a consensus on new grade tiers and adding secondary grades into the notes section for incomplete books? May be easier to sell the idea to CGC that way.

Ok so why does CGC need to sit on a book for a couple months to "grade" it when it's missing the back cover and will almost definitely get a 0.5 grade?

You are the kind of guy who tries to jump the line at the grocery store because you've "only got one thing", right?

Believe it or not, CGC's got a lot of customers. You send in your book, you get in line. Your book isn't more important than any of hundreds or thousands that were already waiting to be graded before you sent in yours.

The ease or difficulty of grading the book doesn't matter.

Definitely not. I'm super considerate of others. I should probably remove that ranting comment.

Better feedback on the concepts involved would be great though... I really don't care how long my books are out being graded...

Well let me welcome you to the boards. But you're starting off on the wrong foot here. We're all collectors just like you. We don't have EVERY single SS answer. That's why CGC has a toll free customer service number.

The book probably got bumped because of the 4.0 Qualified. And as I recall Qualified books cannot be SSed unless they take a serious grade bump, which is what I'm sure happened to you. But call first and ask.

As for the grading, I agree. That book isn't a 0.5 SS. It is a 4.0 Q SS. Sucks that they don't have a label for that right now, since there are plenty of books that would benefit IMO. I think they would also make more money off of it with people submitting books for the Q SS label as opposed to balking because of the 0.5 SS.

Just my opinion, I know it would be difficult for CGC at this point to implement a new label.

Having a SS/Qualified label doesn't make any sense, because a SS label is already qualified - the book is graded as if the qualifying defect (eg. the verified signature) doesn't exist.

it was 4.0 Qualified - missing the ads page. I'm not original owner can't tall you what happened to that page...

Qualified labels for books with grade affecting defects are ridiculous, the book has always been a .5 since the page has been missing, the Qualified label just glosses over it and makes the book look better to people who can't grade due to the number in the top left corner.

As schmidty has mentioned, the SS label acts as a Qualified label too, this time the book book has been graded accurately though.

Perhaps this will help. When a qualified grade is given to a book, the assigned grade (in your case 4.0) is what the book would grade at if the qualifying defect were not present. In this case if the missing ad page was intact the book would be graded at 4.0 with the yellow SS label. CGC doesn't use a yellow label with a green qualified stripe because, as stated above, yellow labels are already a qualified grade. They do use a yellow label with a purple stripe to indicate restoration however but that's not the case here. As it stands with the ad page missing this book is a .5 and would be graded as a .5 blue label if CGC didn't use green qualified labels.

Also, it's not a matter of lazy grading. They have thousands of submissions to get through and to properly grade a book, even a re-sub, the time still has to be taken to look through it cover to cover. Once they receive a re-sub, the original label doesn't stay with the book as it goes through the grading process, it's treated like a first time submission. :hi:

wttb