• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A special announcement for the few I call friends here. Kinda OT

73 posts in this topic

As some of you know, and most of you do not. I have been selling off my comics for about a year now. Recently I made a transaction with a board member not to be named for 13 long boxes of common books for a decent enough deal. I have been selling my toys, some slabs, and sending more submissions in than ever before. Try as I may it looks like I may end up parting ways with my own collection by the end of the year. But it really is not all that sad. This is also part of why I dont post as much.

First reasoning for selling is this. I am trying to buy a home for my family in december. It will be OUR home, not me paying someone elses mortgage. I have saved what I could with what I make, as Jess is a stay at home mom. I feel a great amount of pride being able to do this through the good and bad months, I would rather her teach my son before he goes to pre-school. And in all honesty the difference in cash between her working and not (after paying day care) is very very minimal.

The second reason, and the big announcement. Jess is due with our second child this September. We found out yesterday that it is another BOY!! So I have to clear out the comic room for the new baby as of right now. I may keep a few CGC boxes in the closet, but kids rule over collecting comics.

So with everything on my plate, I felt I needed to get it out. I will miss my books, I enjoyed collecting them and reading many of them. But it is time to keep pushing on. I have about 15 long boxes left to go, and thats it. All gone.. Even the Tec run may finally be displayed on the comic link auction block in October or so.

Anyways, thats it. It is easier to say it here and know anyone I would actually tell will read it here. And I am not going anywhere, just not buying much anymore.

Congrats on your new addition, Pat. :applause:

It's a shame about the comics but you've got your priorities right.

Pat,

Your kids are very lucky to have a dad like you. Too many people treat their children as if they were accessories to their life instead of the central responsibility in their life. The example you are setting will serve them well for their entire lives.

I wish more parents took their responsibility as deeply and seriously as you do. It's sad to part with comics we enjoy, but life is about so much more, as you've already discovered and embraced.

Congratulations on the second child. Happy and healthy times all around for everyone!!!

Best,

Chris

Sound slike you are making some very wise decisons Pat. I did the same thing back in 1993 with my second collection. Best move I made with comics. Took me 10 years to get back into collecting but now I share it with my kids and it takes on a whole new meaning.

Thanks guys. I wanted to post because while I am sad about selling, I am happier about the new addition. I never sit and just look at my books, but will sit and watch my son play. So having two is just such a blessing, and everything looks and sounds perfectly healthy with our soon to be second.

It actually makes me think of Bosco and how lucky he is.

Anyways General always gets the saddest announcements. And while it is a little, it is more me sharing an exciting moment in my life. Kind of just sharing my joy!

Pat,

Congratulations on the new addition to the family and best of luck in getting your new home. I hope everything goes well for you in the future.

Thomas

Congrats on the new baby Pat :applause:

You'll still have nostalgic memories of the comics to keep you warm through the cold winter nights - and you'll have all the good family times ahead to look forward to in the future.

Pat, congrats on the new addition!

I'm not sure I can add to what has already been said here.

Enjoy your kids and your new home! Comics can always be replaced!

:applause:

Congrats on everything, Pat.

Don't worry about selling your books. You can always come back. It takes a while to rebuild, but it gives you a challenge.

I do hope you'll still post here, though. I enjoy your company. (thumbs u