• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A special announcement for the few I call friends here. Kinda OT

73 posts in this topic

My heartiest congratulations, Pat! I'm really happy for you, dude! :applause:

And of course, family ALWAYS comes before comics. In any case, I hope you'll be able to buy back everything you're selling (and even more) in the future. (thumbs u

Are you in NJ or are you a bit further south?

Buying a home in this neck of the woods, without getting into some absurd 95% mortgage where you don't have a legit down payment, is just a brute. I honestly don't know how young families with "regular" incomes (whatever that is) do it without help from their families. the only reason I can own my current home (that is big enough for a family) in my current location, despite averaging over six figures the last 15 years, is having gotten lucky and bought my first apartment in Manhattan for $113K in 1997 and trading up from there as the market went up. so kudos to you for getting a position to do this. and now is probably a good time to do it, we aren't at 2006/7 prices anymore, although we didn't take that much of a beating in this region.

I am in Ocean County NJ. Close enough to the shore. Homes here are in the 170-300 range, and I am looking somewhere in the 200 or if I can get a good deal on a fixer-upper. I was a contractor for 16 years of my life and am only 32!

$200K isn't bad. Once you get beyond a reasonable commute from NYC suddenly everything becomes reasonably priced.

My wife wants us to do the "shore" one of these summers. She used to go to Wildwood as a kid and wants us to do a family week out there or something. No Seaside Heights!!! I'm a native New Yorker and have never been to the "shore" (always went out to the Long Island beaches).

Congrats Pat!!!

I just bought my first house in Feb. and it is a fixer upper; only way we could afford the neighborhood. My house is the ugliest house for blocks :lol: 1313 Mockingbird lane. But it's all mine and the man cave is almost complete.

There is nothing like pulling up your driveway, it's sweet. Look and look and look, never settle. There will be a feeling that you should be set up in the new place before your new edition arrives, but make sure the home is right.

Like everyone else said the funny books will still be here when you want to rebuild your collection. (thumbs u

As some of you know, and most of you do not. I have been selling off my comics for about a year now. Recently I made a transaction with a board member not to be named for 13 long boxes of common books for a decent enough deal. I have been selling my toys, some slabs, and sending more submissions in than ever before. Try as I may it looks like I may end up parting ways with my own collection by the end of the year. But it really is not all that sad. This is also part of why I dont post as much.

First reasoning for selling is this. I am trying to buy a home for my family in december. It will be OUR home, not me paying someone elses mortgage. I have saved what I could with what I make, as Jess is a stay at home mom. I feel a great amount of pride being able to do this through the good and bad months, I would rather her teach my son before he goes to pre-school. And in all honesty the difference in cash between her working and not (after paying day care) is very very minimal.

The second reason, and the big announcement. Jess is due with our second child this September. We found out yesterday that it is another BOY!! So I have to clear out the comic room for the new baby as of right now. I may keep a few CGC boxes in the closet, but kids rule over collecting comics.

So with everything on my plate, I felt I needed to get it out. I will miss my books, I enjoyed collecting them and reading many of them. But it is time to keep pushing on. I have about 15 long boxes left to go, and thats it. All gone.. Even the Tec run may finally be displayed on the comic link auction block in October or so.

Anyways, thats it. It is easier to say it here and know anyone I would actually tell will read it here. And I am not going anywhere, just not buying much anymore.

Congrats!

I sold my collection years ago to buy a home.

While some of the books I have owned have skyrocketed in value I frankly have a comfortable life with a beautiful place to work out of every day.

Congratulations Pat, hopefully your wife won't be playing slayer during her pregnancy or you might have another headbanger in the family.

Hey Pat, we don't know each other as I am pretty new here but wanted to say congrats and very happy for you. Looking forward to maybe buying some of your books, :grin:
Thanks! I am not going anywhere, just buying alot less for an extended period. I dont see it as stopping collecting, just a postponement!

(thumbs u

Congratulations Pat!

As most have said, it's sad to give up something you're passionate about but what you're gaining is so much more!!!

I'll be checking out any sales threads you have coming up... ;)

Well Pat You are a great guy for doing this for your family,just don't stay a stranger.Come on the boards every now and again to let us know how you're all doing,we'll still be here when you decide to start collecting again. :applause: