• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pontoon's Busting Out All Over Boston Comic Con Report

45 posts in this topic

It was sure sweet.

I was even more impressed by the single digit issue FF and Hulk pages at his table being scanned for the Kirby Museum I assume, by Rand Hoppe? (I forget who takes care of that and I'm too tired to look it up.)

It was sure sweet.

I was even more impressed by the single digit issue FF and Hulk pages at his table being scanned for the Kirby Museum I assume, by Rand Hoppe? (I forget who takes care of that and I'm too tired to look it up.)

Some really impressive pages there!

(thumbs u

http://kirbymuseum.org/

It was sure sweet.

I'm jaded as I've seen some pretty early FF pages (maybe the same ones if you're talking about stuff from Bechara's collection.) That cover was a jaw-dropper for me.

It was sure sweet.

Some really impressive pages there!

(thumbs u

http://kirbymuseum.org/

.....'Charra sho nuff gots the goods. The first time I ever met him he had the splash for FF 20 on his wall. A good friend just got a piece he'd wanted all his life and never thought he'd see for sale from him.....the TTA 73 page where Hulk is walking through the Watcher's garden museum....awesome. My buddy was flipping when he saw it....and he has a collection already that caused my mind to evaporate when I first saw it. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

It was sure sweet.

I'm jaded as I've seen some pretty early FF pages (maybe the same ones if you're talking about stuff from Bechara's collection.) That cover was a jaw-dropper for me.

I’ve seen some of his early FF pages too, but the splash to the Hordes of General Fang from Hulk #5 was out as well as some FF. Seeing them loose outside of a portfolio of frame just struck me for some reason.

And now, on with the lameness!

Just so that Watson and Elegeert wouldn’t run out of reasons to rib me, I managed to forget my camera on Sunday. So what I’ve posted so far is almost all that I have. I was banking on some photos to shore up my grammatically challenged reporting. Oh well…

On Saturday I spent a fair amount of time helping GACollectibles, so I didn’t peruse the floor or shop as much as I would have otherwise.

To the best of my knowledge, since moving to the Hynes Convention Center nobody was shut out or standing in line for hours. The show has grown a lot in a short amount of time, although I’d still like to see even more dealers.

Being someone with an interest mostly in 50s-70s books, the contrast between the line for Frank Quitely and Joe Kubert was surprising.

The floor featured fine examples of female form, but with the exception of the photo above, I’m unable to elaborate.

On Saturday I met the Golden Age (I forget how it’s spelled) and some fellow named Chip. I think those were the only floor-walking forumites I saw. Sunday I ran into Roy, Louise and Toro who actually managed to show up several hours before the end of the show. On the other side of the table I hung for a bit with SilverandBronze and his Toon Tumblers; CKB, who was blowing out the bargains, said hey to Ted and Bob Storms (both had probably the most impressive set of wall books at the show) and the man everyone loves to hate, Larry. I just wish he’d stop winking at me.

Checked out Anthony Synder’s OA tables, and made the CGC staff wince when I pulled out my camera.

I chatted with Mike H and his better half and finally picked up a copy of his book. Didn’t get a picture of him but here’s his book. (I’m sure he prefers it that way.)

eerie.jpg

I was accosted by creepy Gerry Ross. I didn’t realize who he was until I managed to pull myself away or else I would not have done so as politely as I did.

I got there late on Sunday and had limited time to shop but I did manage to pick up a lot of books I’m quite happy with, and finished a few runs. I’ll have to post scans later, though.

It seems as if this year’s show had less big SA keys than the last, but it is possible I missed some.

I'm back, I'm backity back.

Before I forget, I also saw Jeff Hotflip, and got a sweet deal on a boxload of supplies.

So getting back to keys, besides the FF #1 that Teddy sold, Bechera had a beater Hulk #1 that I assume sold since it was not on the wall when I got back to his table. I also assume it was the same one he's had before, a heavily restored copy with amateur resto. (When I asked about that copy previously, he was rather dismissive and said in effct "Eh, it's a mess." lol ) He also had a nice looking run of FF 1-6.

I didn't notice any JIM 83s, TOS 39s or Avengers 1s.

Wandering around I came to the conclusion that if a dealer is saying in a loud Brooklyn or Jersey accent "Dat's high grade!" most likely it isn't.

I have a few other bad photos I took that I'll upload. Following are a few of my purchases.

Marc Nathan brought a nice range of books, including a long box of cheap bronze, like this one:

Hulk197.jpg

I finished off my Kirby Rawhide Kid run with this bad boy. Or I should say "finished off before inevitable upgrades."

RK41.jpg

Jack Davis Earp, plus that good old pre-hero brown to yellow-orange color scheme. :cloud9:

Wyattearp21.jpg

And finally from what I scanned, this gem. I've been on a Bill Everett kick lately and this one lept out of the short box at me, one of my favorite covers. Has lots of gloss and looks great, even with the dings and miscut.

Spellbound17.jpg

I'll toss up the remaining lame photos when I get a chance.

Just so that Watson and Elegeert wouldn’t run out of reasons to rib me, I managed to forget my camera on Sunday. So what I’ve posted so far is almost all that I have. I was banking on some photos to shore up my grammatically challenged reporting. Oh well…

:roflmao:

I'm close to finishing a bunch of my Marvel Western runs. These Two Gun Kids are super sweet, especially the #62. I'd even go so far as to say "Dat's high grade!"

TGK61.jpg

TGK62.jpg

:cloud9:

Fantastic books, Rich. Any chance you'll be running a sales thread in the near future of silver Atlas/Marvel Western carp you don't need anymore? :wishluck:

I'm close to finishing a bunch of my Marvel Western runs. These Two Gun Kids are super sweet, especially the #62. I'd even go so far as to say "Dat's high grade!"

TGK61.jpg

TGK62.jpg

:cloud9:

Fantastic books, Rich. Any chance you'll be running a sales thread in the near future of silver Atlas/Marvel Western carp you don't need anymore? :wishluck:

Yes, another Pontoon sales thread sounds good. Even better if there is a high grade Two-Gun Kid #75 in it. :grin: