• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

seems like no more adam hughes con sketches

195 posts in this topic

on his yahoo group, the messages are all about how he's finally fed up with flippers. it seems at boston a guy was in tears begging for a sketch, he did one...and its allready up on ebay. really nice wonderwoman sketch

I saw that WW sketch when I was searching eBay and knew it couldn't be good news when the guy stated that he just got it at Boston. :(

For the price that they are auctioned off for on eBay I can kiss my chances of an AH! sketch goodbye. :cry:

While I am curious to hear what AH has to say about the sale of this sketch I admit it isn't strong enough for me to want to sign up to his Yahoo list.

Can anyone post the relevant bits, if that's cool? (Is it uncool to ask?)

To be honest, I thought $400 was excessive but with deep pocket people paying multiples, it was bound to happen.

That is pretty harsh to beg for a sketch and throw it on ebay a day or so later. It's too bad that real fans of his work are going to face the ramifications of this guy's actions. I'd say he could double-triple his con sketch prices, but at that rate he's still going to deal with flippers (since they'd still make money at that cost) and the fans would still feel it in their wallets.

Too bad. :(

To be honest, I thought $400 was excessive but with deep pocket people paying multiples, it was bound to happen.

I wasn't there but I think this is a $200 sketch. If I remember it's $200 for a bust and $400 for full figure. And I believe the sequence of events was he got it Sunday and put it up Sunday night.

AH was already too expensive for me. $200 for a bust? That's crazy talk. Not to mention the fact that you needed to catch him in the first 4.2 seconds of the con or his list would be all full up.

That's crazy talk until that same $200 bust sketch sells for $2K on eBay.

Still crazy talk in my world. I don't buy anything to resell it, so I don't care what I could get for it on ebay. And a quickie sketch by a modern artist isn't worth anything close to that to me. I'd rather get 4 Infantino head sketches for my $200. Or this Neal Adams for about half AH's asking price.

neal_adams_green_arrow.jpg

hm interesting. I wonder which one it is.

Rich posted about it a few hours ago:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/05/03/adam-hughes-ceases-convention-commissions/

Their reaction seems silly to me. If his sketches are worth so much more, why not charge more? It's called supply & demand, and it's pretty simple. Raise the price, and you'll get fewer buyers. raise it to a level that's comfortable for you and you're good to go. Keeping your prices artificially low to make fans happy, then getting so pissed when pieces are resold that you finally decide not to do any at all doesn't really work out for anyone.

But as I say, it's already too expensive for me so I don't really care.