• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Metropolis hacked discussion thread.

60 posts in this topic

How do I get to post and have it locked for no responses all at the same time?

Become a valued advertiser I guess.

Feel free to discuss here what you weren't permitted to in the Metropolis hacking thread. According to the statement, credit card #s may have been exposed.

Since it's bound to drop off the first page:

Last week, we discovered that an illegal and unauthorized attack on our servers had been perpetrated by a currently unidentified party. That party is being pursued by law enforcement officials. In response to this attack, which may have exposed the credit card information of a number of our customers, we have taken great measures to address this situation and to make very sure that it will not happen again.

The following is a list of some of those measures:

1. Removed the exploit and the software that allowed it.

2. Notified law enforcement including the police, the New York Office of Cyber Security & Critical Infrastructure Coordination, the Consumer Protection Board and the Attorney General’s Office.

3. Contacted credit card processor to notify VISA, Mastercard, AMEX & Discover.

4. Implemented new system for processing card data to ensure safety of new transactions.

5. Mailed a notification letter to all customers whose card info may have been affected.

6. Hired a 3rd party “incident response” security company specializing in breach forensics.

If any of our customers have any concerns, we invite them to contact our office at 212-260-4147.

My first thought is wanting to know how long it was before the breech was discovered. It seems possible that there would be a high crossover of cards used at both WorldPay/GPA and Metro.

Here's my list of suggestions for preventing customer CC info from being compromised.

1. Don't retain customer CC info.

As for the security of your DB, who gives a *spoon*?

Try hitting the mod button on yourself.

It appears to work in other threads.

Won't locking the thread immediately relegate it to being pushed onto page 2 within an hour or two and thus out of sight of people who may need, or may have been affected by, the breach?

Try hitting the mod button on yourself.

It appears to work in other threads.

:roflmao:

I'm not sure Metro is big enough for the Gramm Leach Bliley provisions to apply but I hope their notice includes some of the info requested here. How long has this been going on? Credit monitoring, etc.

Won't locking the thread immediately relegate it to being pushed onto page 2 within an hour or two and thus out of sight of people who may need, or may have been affected by, the breach?

Tried to fix that by "quoting" the post and starting this thread. But it was a dumb idea from the get go.

The mods here have a rich history of moving helpful threads off of the front page.

The mods here have a rich history of moving helpful threads off of the front page.

Wow, the right thing was done and the thread has been pinned.

Now if only there were some way to inform folks of the problems dozens of people here have had with World Pay via GPA.

What locked thread are you talking about?

Look in comics general Noob :baiting:

Go figure, I didn't expect to see at the second spot down from the top! doh!

Was GPA hacked?

Many, many GPA subscribing board members have had the cards they use with WorldPay compromised. Some of us suspected a breech at WorldPay. GPA does not have access to CC info.

There's a big thread, can't be more than a month old.