• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grading Questions

6 posts in this topic

I need some opinions (hopefully from real world experience) with what you think CGC would grade books with the following conditions. Tis a shame for all the money I am starting to pour in CGC coffers I can't get a straight answer on this...

1. If an otherwise perect comic has a 1/2" tear on back cover, what grade would be anticpated?

2. If an other wise perfect comic has one or two very apparent pin size stains on back cover, what grade would be anticipated?

3. If an other wise perfect comic has one or two very faint pin size stains on back cover, what grade would be anticipated?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful insights into this--I am pre-grading my books and these defects seem somewhat common (in my collection).

Sterling

I thought it was difficult to grade from scans, but to grade from a description would be impossible with any accuracy. If you are talking about a 10.0 perfect book and then subtracting the issues you saw you would get one grade.

If you take a 9.4 almost perfect book and then link it to your additional problems noted, then you get quite a different grade.

My guess would be that we are start with a 9.4 book and then working from there so using my expert comic book grading skills I would rate your books:

Example

#1 8.0 - 8.5

#2 9.0-9.2

#3 9.2 - 9.4

Now I could be a million miles off on these grades since we are taking a lot for granted that we are starting with a high grade copy with minor flaws.

confused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

Thanks, KC! I know this is even MORE subjective without scans--I'll see if I can post a few and make it a little easier. I guess the 'assumption' is a book that is around a 9.4-9.6 range BEFORE factoring in the defects. My initial gut was telling me all grades would fall BELOW 9.0. I guess I'm looking for gut reaction on how CGC would look upon these defects--STRICT or LOOSE.

Anyone else want to take a stab at it, while you are waiting for scan?

I need some opinions (hopefully from real world experience) with what you think CGC would grade books with the following conditions. Tis a shame for all the money I am starting to pour in CGC coffers I can't get a straight answer on this...

1. If an otherwise perect comic has a 1/2" tear on back cover, what grade would be anticpated?

2. If an other wise perfect comic has one or two very apparent pin size stains on back cover, what grade would be anticipated?

3. If an other wise perfect comic has one or two very faint pin size stains on back cover, what grade would be anticipated?

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful insights into this--I am pre-grading my books and these defects seem somewhat common (in my collection).

Sterling

Factor in age leniency too. With a tear, CGC would call a GA book 9.0, a SA book possibly 8.0, anything more recent probably no better than 7.0.

I personally would not give a book from any age more than 7.0 if it had a 1/2" tear.

According to the OGG, the only kind of staining technically allowed in VF or higher is foxing. I think I would still give an otherwise 9.4-9.6 book a VF+ with pinhead sized stains though. I wouldn't be comfortable going higher unless there were really non-obvious.

So far, I have to agree with other board members comments.

Staining is a tough call. I have books that have "RUST" stains because the book must have been laying on another books staples, and I don't believe CGC downgraded the book more than one increment (i.e. the book got a 8.5, but at best without the stain I thought the book was a 9.0).

Also, I'm assuming that the stain you show is the "faint" stain. I don't believe you would lose more than one increment for that.

The type of staining that I think gets downgraded a lot is a "WATER" stain. That's when even a small stain seems to drop a 9.4 to something in the 8.0-8.5 range (usually because it goes through the cover).