• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Picks for Wed 4/14/2004

23 posts in this topic

Out next week:

Action Comics #814

Age of Bronze #19

Aquaman #17

Bite Club #1

Batgirl Fists of Fury TP

Berserk Vol 3 TP

The Black Forest GN

Captain America #25

Chosen #2

Common Grounds #4

Dragonlance Huma #3

Darkness #9

Dodge's Bullets TP

Duel Masters #4

Darkness #8

Emma Frost #10

Fables #24

Fallen Angel #10

GI Joe Frontline Vol 3 TP

Green Arrow #37

Gotham Central #18

Hellsing Vol 2 TP

Hero #15

Hellboy Weird Tales #8

Hack Slash #1

Human Target TP

Invincible Vol 2 TP

It's a Bird HC

Iron Fist #2

Invincible #10

Incredible Hulk #70

Iron Man #79

Inhumans #12

JSA #60

JLA #96

Lee's Toy Review April 04

Marvel Age Sentinel Vol 1

Marvel Knights 4 #4

Marvel Age Fantastic Four

Marvel Knights SpiderMan

Marvel Age Spider-Girl

Marvel 1602 #8

Marvel Age Runaways

Marvel Age Spider-Man

Masters of the Universe

Nightwing #92

Noble Causes Vol 2 TP

New Mutants #11

Reaper One Shot

Red Tokyo Storm TP

Spectacular Spider-Man

Stormwatch TA #21

She Hulk #2

Star Wars Tales #19

Toyfare #82

Touch #1

Thor Son of Asgard #3

Teen Titans #10

Transformers War Within

Tomart's AFD

Ultimate X-Men #44

Ultraman Tiga #7

Weapon X #21

Witchblade #74

X-Men Unlimited #2

X-Statix #21

X-Treme X-Men #45

My picks:

Chosen #2

Emma Frost #10

Fables #24

Iron Fist #2

Incredible Hulk #70

Marvel Knights 4 #4

Marvel Knights SpiderMan

Marvel 1602 #8

Marvel Age Runaways

Spectacular Spider-Man

She Hulk #2

Thor Son of Asgard #3

Teen Titans #10

Ultimate X-Men #44

X-Men Unlimited #2

X-Statix #21

X-Treme X-Men #45

Chosen #2

JLA #96

Marvel 1602 #8

Red Tokyo Storm TP

She Hulk #2

Ultimate X-Men #44

I can't recommend Red enough. Tokyo Storm Warning is fun, but Red is just insanely good and worth the price of the trade by itself.

Aquaman #17

Green Arrow #37

Incredible Hulk #70

JSA #60

JLA #96

Marvel Knights 4 #4

Marvel Knights SpiderMan #1

Marvel 1602 #8

Spectacular Spider-Man #?

She Hulk #2

Teen Titans #10

Ultimate X-Men #44

Definitely looking forward to reading 1602 #8 and Spider-Man #1.

Kev

Spider-Man #1.

Oops. I missed that one. That's the Millar/ Dodson book? That should be awesome. I'm definitely picking it up. It'll be the first Spider-Man book I've bought off the shelves since Todd McFarlane was on the title (and then it was only to flip them.)

Action 814

Aquaman 17

Cap America 25

Fallen Angel 10 (Am I the only person reading this well written/drawn book?)

Green Arrow 37

Iron Fist 2 (possibly the last Iron Fist I buy from the new series)

Iron Man 79

JLA 96

JSA 60

Scooby Doo 83 (for the 10 yr old)

Touch 1

What is Marvel Age FF?

It's an updated "kid friendly" Fantastic Four comic, in the same vein as the Marvel Age Spider-Man #1 and #2 (2 just came out last week), which were bizarre modern retellings of ASM 2 & 3. These are meant to be repackaged in manga-sized tpbs for sale at bookstores, etc. The FF looked very "manga"-esque in the preview images provided for this book.

"Manga"-esque Marvel super-hero comics = avoid at all costs as it is a blatant attempt to cash in on MMM*.

MMM* = Mad Manga Money, ridiculous amounts of cash thrown around by 10-16 year old girls and the boys that are crushing on them, on english-language translations of Japanese comics that are written, drawn and generally produced for teenage girls and pedophiles. Average price for M.M.M. is $10/book and they are supposedly selling like hotcakes in suburban bookstores. At conventions you see them being sold by the stack to girls and grown men dressed in Sailor Moon costumes.

This is a syndrome that is often interchangable with A.S.S.-in-I.N.E.* = Anime Surprisingly Sells in Incredible Numbers Everywhere. ASSININE is typified by large numbers of pre-teens and teenagers spending hundreds - even thousands - of their parents well-earned dollars on Anime DVDs and soundtracks, scrolls and toys.

Kev

"Manga"-esque Marvel super-hero comics = avoid at all costs as it is a blatant attempt to cash in on MMM*.

Please feel free to include the following titles (stylistically speaking) into this category:

Iron Fist

Alpha Flight

Spectacular Spider-Man

Venom

Marvel Age Spider-Man & FF

Sentinel

Marvel Manga-verse and spin-off minis like Spider-Man: Ninja & X-Men: Ronin & the absolute pinnacle of MMM: X-Men: Phoenix... the embodiment of all that MMM aspires to: a story written for 10 yr old girls but drawn for 40 yr old pervs.

Upcoming MMM: Mary Jane

Borderline MMM:Runaways

No offense to the writers of said books, well...except for whoever is writing Alpha Flight... that deserves to be criticized on EVERY level.

Kev

I flipped through Alpha Flight #2 in the LCS the other day... is it supposed to be like the Giffen/Maguire JLA reboot? I mean, is it supposed to be somewhat "funny"... but it's just not?

If the writer intends for it to be lame then he has spectacularly over-achieved and has successfully written the lamest Marvel comic series published EVER. He has surpassed the mark that Bill Jemas set for lame-ness with the non-classic Marville. The new Alpha Flight series makes the Marvel Fumetti Book look like the work of the Bard himself. It makes Planet Terry comparable to Planetary.

Quesada must have been hitting the crack pipe pretty hard the day that he rubber-stamped that lame duck.

Kev

If the writer intends for it to be lame then he has spectacularly over-achieved and has successfully written the lamest Marvel comic series published EVER. He has surpassed the mark that Bill Jemas set for lame-ness with the non-classic Marville. The new Alpha Flight series makes the Marvel Fumetti Book look like the work of the Bard himself. It makes Planet Terry comparable to Planetary.

Quesada must have been hitting the crack pipe pretty hard the day that he rubber-stamped that lame duck.

Kev

The sad thing is, Kev is not exaggerating... 893frustrated.gif