• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Batman 227 the "key" Neal Adams Batman book to have?
4 4

2,411 posts in this topic

Here's a 9.4 that didn't sell on eBay. The seller had it listed for $1700, but was entertaining offers. If he still has the book, it wouldn't hurt to throw a number towards his way.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-227-CGC-9-4-Classic-Adams-Cover-Hanging-Panels-/160966144084?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item257a547054&nma=true&si=D%252FQA0Wrd8eYntoAKnl45wMBCcak%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

I honestly think this is an over-hyped book. Then again, I waited to start my collection of Batman 'keys' for last (and I am at that point now). If I can get this book for between $1500-$1700 in 9.4, I may consider buying. If not, I will wait for price levels to drop. I don't consider a book with a cover re-created (for lack of a better term) from an earlier book to be that much of a must have book in my opinion...regradless of how cool that cover is!

Respectfully,

'mint'

should be able to find one in that grade at that price all day long. can't seem to find a sale that was even that high. maybe you meant 9.6

There was a 9.4 W copy that sold on CL about 3 or 4 months ago for $1,600+. It was Twisty1's old copy (see page 1 of this thread). I believe he sold it to a boardie and he auctioned it on the Link. Stellar copy with perfect centering. What's more amazing was the price of the 9.2 from December's CL auction.

It's possible there might be too many copies of this book. It has grown in price over the years. Not sure but as of right now to me it's the key batman book of the Bronze Age. I would get a high grade copy now before it gets more expensive. That's if the demand keeps growing.

It's possible there might be too many copies of this book. It has grown in price over the years. Not sure but as of right now to me it's the key batman book of the Bronze Age. I would get a high grade copy now before it gets more expensive. That's if the demand keeps growing.

Well, I'd like to think this thread had a small hand in spurring interest in the last couple years :)

Anyway, a couple of years ago when I got back into collecting BA Bats, I would have disagreed. Not so sure now. Certainly percentage-wise, it's the Adams Bats book that saw the biggest leap of the bunch from the previous year. Although 'Tec 400 still holds the crown as "most valuable" according to Overstreet.

Well, I'd like to think this thread had a small hand in spurring interest in the last couple years :)

Anyway, a couple of years ago when I got back into collecting BA Bats, I would have disagreed. Not so sure now. Certainly percentage-wise, it's the Adams Bats book that saw the biggest leap of the bunch from the previous year. Although 'Tec 400 still holds the crown as "most valuable" according to Overstreet.

I love Bats 227,but my favorite Adams bat book is Batman 232.C'mon how can you lose with one of the best Bat villains of all time. :headbang:

My 9.4 #232 was actually the first comic I had bought in over 30 years. Had a beautiful copy back in the day and always regretted selling it. All I wanted was just this one book after playing Arkham Asylum.

After I got it, I caught the bug and wounded up chasing after all the Adams Bats (and then some).

My 9.4 #232 was actually the first comic I had bought in over 30 years. Had a beautiful copy back in the day and always regretted selling it. All I wanted was just this one book after playing Arkham Asylum.

After I got it, I caught the bug and wounded up chasing after all the Adams Bats (and then some).

It's a sickness. :cry:

I'm partial to the #232 as well, I don't even care what country it's from. (thumbs u

th_Batman232.jpgth_Batman232aMexico.jpgth_Batman232bMexico_zpsf266b0e9.jpgth_Batman232bBrazil_zps6edacc23.jpgth_Batman232Brazil_zps05c1f861.jpg

th_Batman232Dutch.jpgth_Batman232India.jpgth_Batman232Italy_zpsed5426ee.jpgth_Batman232Sweden.jpg

I'm partial to the #232 as well, I don't even care what country it's from. (thumbs u

th_Batman232.jpgth_Batman232aMexico.jpgth_Batman232bMexico_zpsf266b0e9.jpgth_Batman232bBrazil_zps6edacc23.jpgth_Batman232Brazil_zps05c1f861.jpg

th_Batman232Dutch.jpgth_Batman232India.jpgth_Batman232Italy_zpsed5426ee.jpgth_Batman232Sweden.jpg

What did they do to Ra's on the red cover? Looks like they put a dog mask on him. (shrug)

I dont have the US edition, but I do have this

Batman227french_zps9cc15ea7.jpg

Reminds me of Scooby Doo for some reason.

Yea we are not quite sure why the French 227 has such a different batman? (shrug) Its almost like the art for the bats in the background got lost or somthing? For whatever reason the background bats is clearly a repro by a french artist. However, the more blue-ish green handling of the foreground color art is quite interesting so the french 227 for me is like a girl with an amazingly beautiful a-s-s and body but fugly face. Your like "damn it was almost so perfect"! lol

I will say that this is the nicest copy of this book I have ever laid eyes one.... its slab-worthy for sure as far as 227 foreigns go.... 2c

Edited by Define999

What did they do to Ra's on the red cover? Looks like they put a dog mask on him. (shrug)

Its the same face but without the teeth detail.... a section of the front lips also has been darkened for some reason instead of its usual tone.... Losing the teeth detail def hurt this art.... but again as discussed in other threads when seeing foreign villians on red covers its kinda cool in a obvious way.... My favorite book of this set has got to be the EBAL version.... if you pay close attention alot of the other versions still have the Americans text clutter... the Brazilian EBAL is simpiler and cleaner..... hm

I dont have the US edition, but I do have this

Batman227french_zps9cc15ea7.jpg

Reminds me of Scooby Doo for some reason.

And he probably would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for you pesky kids that pesky Batman !!

How do the variants compare to the regular version price-wise?
On the foreign books there's no standard. It just depends on how tough a particular books is to find and whether or not you're willing to wait for another copy to possibly turn up which could take weeks, months or even years. You also have to toss the concept of grade right out of your thinking process as in many cases it's difficult at best to find a copy let alone a mid to high grade copy. It's easier to find a whole lot of Golden Age books in the 6.0 or better range than the majority of foreign editions.