• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Heritage Signature Auction Results, Astonishments, Shocks, Disappointments, etc.

417 posts in this topic

me too...hasn't moved in minutes

They have to get their act together if they're going to auction off $1MIL in books.

:pullhair:

Anyone who really wants a major book and is willing to place their faith on being able to bid live via the internet is insane.

major books, sure...but many times, there are a ton of lots that "might" be worth throwing a bid in on, that you can't logistically or realistically set up phone bidding on...that is what is frustrating (thumbs u

For those, just put in your best shot as an internet bid and then let it ride. (shrug)

I purposely don`t allow myself to bid during the live auction because I know myself too well.

with rumors of house bidding, I don't like to leave internet bids and let them ride...live or dive (thumbs u

I am really surprised that you are buying into the conspiracy theories.

In any event, the house can bid live, anonymously, via the internet or telephone, so I think any protection gained from bidding live is illusory at best.

lol nothing illusionary about it...

if I enter my max proxy ahead of time, the "house" knows exactly how high it can safely bid me up...

if I enter bids incrementally via a live position, the house has no way to know where or when I will stop... definitely my advantage , if such an advantage exists (thumbs u

There`s a big difference between the house bidding against you and the house bidding against you using their inside knowledge of what your maximum bid is. The former is legal and we know it happens. The latter, without getting into the legalities, would be a huge breach of the house`s fiduciary responsibility to its bidders and I honestly don`t believe Heritage does it.

Other random observations.

Three members of Gary Dahlberg's family were in attendance, sitting in the row just in front of us. It must have been both bittersweet and rewarding when, after the TOS39 was sold, the collection topped the $1 million sales mark. It seemed they were pleasantly surprised at the strength of the prices realized, particularly at the beginning of the auction when the Spidey's fetched very strong final bids. It's a tremendous gift that Mr. Dahlberg left for his immediate family, and the family seemed appreciative and moved by the experience.

Scans are insufficient to judge the quality of the paper preservation of the comics, and the Dahlberg collection is superb in that regard. More on the collection after tomorrow's part of the auction.

As aggressive as many of the prices were on the Twin Cities books, there were a few excellent bargains. The Avengers #9 in 9.4 sold for $3,100, a price more appropriate for a 9.2 non-pedigree copy. The FF #16 had amazing cover colors, perfect registration, a solid 9.4 grade, and sold for under $2,500. There were other bargains among the jaw droppers.

$3100 actually :gossip:

Three members of Gary Dahlberg's family were in attendance, sitting in the row just in front of us. It must have been both bittersweet and rewarding when, after the TOS39 was sold, the collection topped the $1 million sales mark. It seemed they were pleasantly surprised at the strength of the prices realized, particularly at the beginning of the auction when the Spidey's fetched very strong final bids. It's a tremendous gift that Mr. Dahlberg left for his immediate family, and the family seemed appreciative and moved by the experience.

Scans are insufficient to judge the quality of the paper preservation of the comics, and the Dahlberg collection is superb in that regard. More on the collection after tomorrow's part of the auction.

As aggressive as many of the prices were on the Twin Cities books, there were a few excellent bargains. The Avengers #9 in 9.4 sold for $3,100, a price more appropriate for a 9.2 non-pedigree copy. The FF #16 had amazing cover colors, perfect registration, a solid 9.4 grade, and sold for under $2,500. There were other bargains among the jaw droppers.

lol Already had edited my prior post.

I thought the book could have gone for much higher, it's that sweet a copy. I held back from bidding on it, with an ill-fated belief that the FF25 might be winnable. After the latter crushed the GPA record, remorse set in for not trying to win the 16.

They have to get their act together if they're going to auction off $1MIL in books.

Anyone who really wants a major book and is willing to place their faith on being able to bid live via the internet is insane.

major books, sure...but many times, there are a ton of lots that "might" be worth throwing a bid in on, that you can't logistically or realistically set up phone bidding on...that is what is frustrating (thumbs u

For those, just put in your best shot as an internet bid and then let it ride. (shrug)

I purposely don`t allow myself to bid during the live auction because I know myself too well.

with rumors of house bidding, I don't like to leave internet bids and let them ride...live or dive (thumbs u

In any event, the house can bid live, anonymously, via the internet or telephone, so I think any protection gained from bidding live is illusory at best.

if I enter my max proxy ahead of time, the "house" knows exactly how high it can safely bid me up...

if I enter bids incrementally via a live position, the house has no way to know where or when I will stop... definitely my advantage , if such an advantage exists (thumbs u

There`s a big difference between the house bidding against you and the house bidding against you using their inside knowledge of what your maximum bid is. The former is legal and we know it happens. The latter, without getting into the legalities, would be a huge breach of the house`s fiduciary responsibility to its bidders and I honestly don`t believe Heritage does it.

Do you believe the United States were the first ones to land on the moon? Heritage not only bids in-house and shills their own auctions, but those who own the auction house actively participate and bid in their own auctions at Heritage. Obviously this presents a huge case of conflict of interest as owners, in-house bidders, ect have insider information.

Thanks to Bob Siman for posting the pics. I'll make a more extensive report and some observations late tomorrow night.

Bob and I had a blast making the road trip -- truly an awesome time, not just at the auction but the whole trip combined.

Getting an opportunity to see all of the books -- any of the books in the auction -- was just an incredible thrill. It was also tremendously educational. Seeing each book gave me the opportunity to get a feel for the collection in general, strengths, weaknesses and grading vagaries.

I'll get into more detail generally about this tomorrow, but to me, there was a slightly different feel to this collection v. others. Structural integrity was not the most important factor in the grade for many of these books. While most are terrific (and no John, the ST 135 9.6 is NOT a soft grade -- seeing it in person, it is spot on) examples, they have outstanding page quality, gloss, registration and color strike.

I think this was given high consideration.

Going into this auction, I wanted to bid as a fan, not a dealer. And I did so. In fact I didn't buy some of the better deals, and instead chose two books I love, but neither of which are rare.

My 2nd all time favorite book, Cap 100 CGC 9.6 TC was a stunning copy. Nice whites, deep colors and 9.6 structure. I paid very aggressively, and wanted that book.

The other book I bought was the Iron Man 1 CGC 9.4, which in hand was just spectacular in terms of colors. I thought it went very reasonably.

The ASMs, FFs and JIMs were all very nice. I wish I had $250k to buy everything I wanted.

It was fantastic getting a few minutes to catch up with Mark Haspel. Terrific talking with one of the best guys anywhere John Skoulides, and seeing friends (if only for a minute) like Dmac and old friends like Dave Miller.

Kudos to Heritage. I thought a first rate job. The auctioneers (the guy first was just an incredible pro) were amazing. Barry, Lon and Ed did a fantastic first rate job running a smooth operation (maybe they've done it before?).

I know some folks had internet problems. That's obviously an issue -- and I'm sure they'll look into it -- but of course, there's bound to be those issues from time to time -- as their connection -- and the internet, are going to have the occasional issue beyond anyone's control.

All in all, I really like the Twin Cities books. I'll give further details about the trips and books, the grading, etc. tomorrow evening.

Really wish I could've gone :(

Bob and Brian - How did the colors on the books in general compare in person to the scans? The colors look very deep and bright in the scans but there was some speculation by people that it was scan manipulation by Heritage.

lol Already had edited my prior post.

I thought the book could have gone for much higher, it's that sweet a copy. I held back from bidding on it, with an ill-fated belief that the FF25 might be winnable. After the latter crushed the GPA record, remorse set in for not trying to win the 16.

I hear you. I also wanted it but didn't chase it hard enough because of other priorities in the later books. Some of which I won but not all. $3100 is a decent price for that book. I had to doublecheck when I saw you post it sold under $2500 as my bid with BP was just over that but no such luck doh!

Do you believe the United States were the first ones to land on the moon?

lol Thanks for starting with a first sentence that told me I can totally disregard the rest of your post (and any future posts)! :applause:

Bob and Brian - How did the colors on the books in general compare in person to the scans? The colors look very deep and bright in the scans but there was some speculation by people that it was scan manipulation by Heritage.

The colors were actually nicer, in almost all cases, than the scans. The colors are deep rich and extremely impressive. I'll give you an example: The Thor 126 in person would blow your mind.

Do you believe the United States were the first ones to land on the moon?

lol Thanks for starting with a first sentence that told me I can totally disregard the rest of your post (and any future posts)! :applause:

:signfunny::roflmao:

Thanks to Bob Siman for posting the pics. I'll make a more extensive report and some observations late tomorrow night.

Bob and I had a blast making the road trip -- truly an awesome time, not just at the auction but the whole trip combined.

Getting an opportunity to see all of the books -- any of the books in the auction -- was just an incredible thrill. It was also tremendously educational. Seeing each book gave me the opportunity to get a feel for the collection in general, strengths, weaknesses and grading vagaries.

I'll get into more detail generally about this tomorrow, but to me, there was a slightly different feel to this collection v. others. Structural integrity was not the most important factor in the grade for many of these books. While most are terrific (and no John, the ST 135 9.6 is NOT a soft grade -- seeing it in person, it is spot on) examples, they have outstanding page quality, gloss, registration and color strike.

Going into this auction, I wanted to bid as a fan, not a dealer. And I did so. In fact I didn't buy some of the better deals, and instead chose two books I love, but neither of which are rare.

My 2nd all time favorite book, Cap 100 CGC 9.6 TC was a stunning copy. Nice whites, deep colors and 9.6 structure. I paid very aggressively, and wanted that book.

The other book I bought was the Iron Man 1 CGC 9.4, which in hand was just spectacular in terms of colors. I thought it went very reasonably.

The ASMs, FFs and JIMs were all very nice. I wish I had $250k to buy everything I wanted.

It was fantastic getting a few minutes to catch up with Mark Haspel. Terrific talking with one of the best guys anywhere John Skoulides, and seeing friends (if only for a minute) like Dmac and old friends like Dave Miller.

Kudos to Heritage. I thought a first rate job. The auctioneers (the guy first was just an incredible pro) were amazing. Barry, Lon and Ed did a fantastic first rate job running a smooth operation (maybe they've done it before?).

I know some folks had internet problems. That's obviously an issue -- and I'm sure they'll look into it -- but of course, there's bound to be those issues from time to time -- as their connection -- and the internet, are going to have the occasional issue beyond anyone's control.

All in all, I really like the Twin Cities books. I'll give further details about the trips and books, the grading, etc. tomorrow evening.

Nicely written.

Good insight.

Whenever someone talks about a "Ped bump", or judges a book as overgraded based on a scan, I've always maintained that there are tactile and physical characteristics that comics have that will never transfer through a scan.

We can analyze spine stresses, foxing and creases until the cows come home but what you cannot judge from a scan is freshness, gloss, color strike, smell, cover stock whiteness, feel of the book in hand and a variety of other factors that will affect the grade in a positive way.

A perfect example is books like the Church books where they are supposedly "overgraded" when judged by a scan but when you finally hold one in hand the book just glows and jumps out at you (and has a "like new comic snap" to it) with such a presence that the minor defects strangely disappear from attention.

I believe that it's these factors that can tip a grade upwards on an otherwise in-between grade.

:(

Do you have one?

A pretty 9.4 pedigree copy... (thumbs u

Yup...but the seller would have netted more money if he sold the book to me last year in SDCC. (shrug)

:(

Do you have one?

A pretty 9.4 pedigree copy... (thumbs u

Yup...but the seller would have netted more money if he sold the book to me last year in SDCC. (shrug)

I remember that book.

A distinction that very few, if any, other board members make. And I agree with you, Tim.