• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Overstreet grade now 9.2

188 posts in this topic

Gemstone Marks Anniversary With Gift To Overstreet Readers

The Main Event, Scoop, Friday, April 09, 2004

The 34th edition of The Overstreet Official Comic Book Price Guide, due in stores April 21, marks the 10th year the industry bible has been published by Gemstone Publishing, and with that in mind Gemstone is giving its loyal retailers, readers and collectors a gift: complimentary copies of Overstreet's Comic Price Review #8.

Overstreet's Comic Price Review is the monthly price guide newsletter for certified comics in the 9.0 to 10.0 range, concentrating particularly on issues in the highly unpredictable arena of 9.4 and up.

In addition to any quantities of Overstreet's Comic Price Review #8 they regularly ordered, each retailer will receive free copies in equal numbers to their orders for all editions of The Overstreet Official Comic Book Price Guide #34 so that they can share this gift with their customers, particularly those who have reserved copies of the Guide ahead of time.

"We've been very pleased with the reactions to Overstreet's Comic Price Review in the past few months," said Steve Geppi, President and Chief Executive Officer of Gemstone Publishing. "It's been obvious to our readers that we've been reflecting the changes in the marketplace and listening to the feedback as we grew the publication. The 10th anniversary of Gemstone publishing the Guide seemed like a great time for us to say 'thank-you' to everyone with this bonus copy."

The annual Guide will still feature six pricing columns, 2.0, 4.0, 6.0, 8.0, 9.0 and 9.2, but the Price Review will be the only source Overstreet prices for spotlighted issues in 9.4 or higher.

"The market for high-grade certified comics has been incredibly volatile," said Robert M. Overstreet, author and publisher of The Official Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide. "In many instances it has gone well beyond what can be accurately reflected in an annual. That's why we made the decision to make the top end of the Guide 9.2 rather than 9.4, and why 9.4 and up will be featured in our monthly, Overstreet's Comic Price Review."

Each monthly issue of Overstreet's Comic Price Review contains articles and analysis on the current marketplace, market reports from Overstreet Advisors, sales lists of certified comics and magazines, and Ten To Watch (noteworthy comics from history and the present). Each issue also features other high profile comic character memorabilia as well.

The special complimentary issue of OCPR includes reports of a record-breaking sale of Marvel Mystery #9, a look at 5 "sleepers" you should know about, market reports from some of the top retailers in the world of comics, a detailed list of prices realized from 10.0 all the way down to 0.5, a bonus color gallery section, a checklist of Marvel's 30¢ and 35¢ variants, a First Comics collector's checklist, Overstreet pricing on such titles as Amazing Spider-Man, Batman, Captain America, Conan, Daredevil, Fables, Iron Man, Justice League of America, Superman/Batman, Teen Titans, Ultimate Spider-Man, X-Men, and many others. Also detailed in this issue are prices for Randy Bowen's Marvel statues, character watches, and superhero/adventure club kits.

"It's hard to believe that Bob Overstreet has put out 34 editions of the Guide," Geppi said, "and it almost seems impossible that it's been 10 editions since he brought the book to Gemstone. I'm glad we can give our readers, who have been incredibly loyal, this small token of our thanks."

Both The Official Overstreet Comic Book Price Guide #34 and Overstreet's Comic Price Review #8 will be on sale April 21, 2004.

Overstreet's Comic Price Review #9, which features Conan on the cover, is available for advance reorder from Diamond Comic Distributors. OCPR #10, spotlighting DC's Teen Titans, can be found on Page 302 of the April 2004 Previews.

What's the point then.....might as well just eliminate the 9.2 and go with 9.0 so they're all .0 values.

Just one more step in making the guide even more irrelevent....the Internet is already negating the guide's value as a comics index..... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Jim

Good marketing by Gemstone to force ppl to buy the Ostreet Comic Pr Review for 9.4 up price tracking. Nice of Geppi to give away a free sample. Bonus distribution for all the loyal Ostreet advertisers. acclaim.gif

hmmmm.. not sure how i feel. on one hand NM is never right anyway. On the other hand, terms like 3x guide are now no longer vaild terms for multiples of nm books. It was nice to have a standard to bounce off of. On the other other hand, the monthly publication sucks. On the other other other hand, true NM copies aren't always even available for certain books so who cares. I don't know...... confused-smiley-013.gif

I can see the reasoning behind this for most Golden-Age and higher-end Silver, but for the large majority of books on the market (common Silver up through Modern) is the 9.4 market really that volatile?

9.6+ certainly is volatile and I don't think they should be in the Guide as they would just add to the confusion. But, I also think that removing 9.4 from the Guide will confuse the majority of users. "NM-" just doesn't make sense as the top end of the range and brings to question what "Near Mint" means. If they want to clarify things, they need to address this situation period to period and at times title to title, and cap certain references below 9.4. They've already done this in in the Victorian and Platinum sections and with a very limited number of GA books.

The cynical side of me thinks that it is simply an attempt to sell more Price Reviews.

_douglas

Do you think this means that 9.2 prices will match or exceed last year's 9.4 prices? This would make perfect sense for Silver and Gold, but perhaps not for more recent books.

Wow what a shame if they drop it to 9.2 as there will be no comparing to last years guide I mean 9.2 is 9.2 and 9.4 is 9.4 I mean WTF !

People will now have to guess on the 9.4 prices as the Price Review isn't near comprehensive enough for most collections.

Will also bring out the kooks that think since Overstreet doesn't list the grade then 9.4s must be multiples of the 9.2 price. And you know what? There really aren't hard facts to dispute it anymore.....

Jim

Well, it just seems like a ploy to drive up sales of their monthly feature. Hey, it worked on me. Where can I find info on a subscription to Overstreet Comic Price Review? Can I subscribe or do I need to pick it up at a LCS?

Well, it just seems like a ploy to drive up sales of their monthly feature. Hey, it worked on me. Where can I find info on a subscription to Overstreet Comic Price Review? Can I subscribe or do I need to pick it up at a LCS?

Well they sucked you right in...... foreheadslap.gif

Jim

hmmmm.. not sure how i feel. on one hand NM is never right anyway. On the other hand, terms like 3x guide are now no longer vaild terms for multiples of nm books. It was nice to have a standard to bounce off of. On the other other hand, the monthly publication sucks. On the other other other hand, true NM copies aren't always even available for certain books so who cares. I don't know...... confused-smiley-013.gif

You sound like Tevia in Fiddler on the Roof.

Yeah...but "top of guide" has changed time and again of late, so whatever CGC grade/name they call it, Im sure we'll all just use the 9.2 now as the starting point for multiples. It was only last year that they put in 9.4 anyway right?

Im really curious though if last years 9.4 "top-of-guide prices" are now adjusted upward and/or left alone as usual, and just given a new name. OR whether they actually went to the trouble to reduce all of last years 9.4s by some fraction to make them 9.2s this year.

Somehow I highly doubt it!

I dont think this latest change makes them any more or less irrelevant to todays market than before.