• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Top Overstreet grade now 9.2

188 posts in this topic

I dont think this latest change makes them any more or less irrelevant to todays market than before.

So, if they have just replaced numbers, I take it that 9.4 Moderns will be worth more than cover price?

Jim

I dont think this latest change makes them any more or less irrelevant to todays market than before.

So, if they have just replaced numbers, I take it that 9.4 Moderns will be worth more than cover price?

Jim

The more you question it, the more misguided this decision becomes. Top guide was always NM 94 (back in the days of the ONE) which got altered to 9.4 with the arrival of CGC. Now after 34 years they decide to break with tradition partly to sell updates but also to belittle the raw market, as BOC mentioned.

My first instinct is... I like it.

Overstreet Annual is quickly becoming used as the "raw guide".

Ebay is easily the largest publicly visible "raw market".

Even when a raw book looks accurately graded as 9.4 or better on Ebay,

you know that people should be assuming it's 9.2 or less...

and more often lately, they're bidding as if the book is a 9.2 or less.

If Ebay prices are 9.2 prices, and Overstreet is planning (trying) to reflect these prices,

then Overstreet needs to reflect 9.2. Simple enough.

But is Overstreet primarily taking ebay into account for its' guide?

What about all those established dealers whose grading is always impeccably accurate? How is the guide doing justice to their efforts??

Established dealers with impeccably accurate grading should be ECSTATIC

that their ability to tell a 9.2 from a 9.4 will now pay off.

For those who aren't so sure... they can assume 9.2 raw and let CGC decide 9.4 or higher.

(Sure, there's still plenty of debate about 9.4, but CGC gets measurable results vs. raw.)

Anyone paying 9.4 prices for "assumed 9.4s in raw condition"

is in danger of being disappointed, and paying 9.2 prices for raw would be smarter.

But is Overstreet primarily taking ebay into account for its' guide?

What about all those established dealers whose grading is always impeccably accurate? How is the guide doing justice to their efforts??

Established dealers with impeccably accurate grading should be ECSTATIC

that their ability to tell a 9.2 from a 9.4 will now pay off.

For those who aren't so sure... they can assume 9.2 raw and let CGC decide 9.4 or higher.

(Sure, there's still plenty of debate about 9.4, but CGC gets measurable results vs. raw.)

Anyone paying 9.4 prices for "assumed 9.4s in raw condition"

is in danger of being disappointed, and paying 9.2 prices for raw would be smarter.

Stop being so positive, dammit!!!

Well, it just seems like a ploy to drive up sales of their monthly feature. Hey, it worked on me. Where can I find info on a subscription to Overstreet Comic Price Review? Can I subscribe or do I need to pick it up at a LCS?

Well they sucked you right in...... foreheadslap.gif

Jim

Actually I was thinking of subscribing to this publication before anyway. I've actually never seen one, but as an active dealer on Ebay I think I should be reading this stuff. However, if OS really wanted to be somewhat useful they would have kept the 9.4 and added a 9.8. The volativety could be reflected in the monthly feature. 9.0 and 9.2 just seem too close anyway to have that much difference of a value for raw books. ----Sid

I think now the question is what is that 9.2 price going to be. The old 9.4 ooo.gif

for all books that get a bump in prices yes.

Im waiting to see if they lower any prices to last years 9.2 levels.

Whats funny to me is how most of you here argue that Overstreet is irrelevant in the market today... and I agree to a certain point - - and still get worked up by their apparently desperate attempts t reain of importance in pricing!. Clearly, Overstreet is forced to react to the changes around them. I think we'll keep seeing these efforts every year until things settle down again. And no one wants to see that dya , right? Cause you know when that will be, don't you??

c

r

a

s

h

(poof)

I thought the monthly piece of [!@#%^&^] was pricing on GRADED books.

So now they cut short the information you have for RAW books.

Not to mention the Overstreet monthly piece of [!@#%^&^] (now called OMPOS) will only be useful if you're looking up a price for a mainstream book.

Even then it only lists like ASM issues 1-50, 100, 129, 300

What about all the issues in between?

This is the biggest crock of [!@#%^&^] I've ever heard.

OS screws itself a little bit more every year.

How much longer will it even be of service?

Last year was probably the most improved issue ever. Now they turn around and mess up all the good they did last year.

893frustrated.gif

I've bought several OMPOS for the two paragraphs of information they contained.

I'll never buy another because I can get better info than that online.

I still think the Wizard price guide has some useful pricing information. Sure, the offerings are limited but for mainstram silver on up it serves as a halfway decent pricing reference tool, and it's already updated monthly with some slabbed prices. Forget the hype and hooplah of the rest of the magazine along with it's catering only to the very latest in modern comics. The price guide is worth the price of the mag. confused-smiley-013.gif

Not to mention the Overstreet monthly piece of [!@#%^&^] (now called OMPOS) will only be useful if you're looking up a price for a mainstream book.

I don't understand your frustration.

The Overstreet annual will have a price for raw 9.2.

If you've got a raw 9.4, do you really need Overstreet to tell you what it's worth?

Can't you and the buyer (or if you are the buyer... can't you and the seller) agree

upon a price using 9.2 as a guide?

Are you even sure it's a 9.4? Will the person you sell it to believe your raw skills?

Can you convince them to pay you an amount above the Overstreet 9.2 price?

This is why Overstreet Annual is useful as a GUIDE only...

What else should they realistically do? Raw 9.4s are extremely volatile because:

1) Who believes a raw 9.4 is a true 9.4? The seller? Does the buyer really believe it?

2) Clearly Overstreet isn't attempting to print CGC 9.4 prices on a yearly basis.

(Yearly would be a ridiculous way to follow CGC prices...)

So why should they attempt to print raw 9.4 (that is, true raw 9.4 --see #1) prices

on a yearly basis?

If it hasn't worked very well in the past (the RECENT past)... why continue?

I don't understand your frustration.

The Overstreet annual will have a price for raw 9.2.

If you've got a raw 9.4, do you really need Overstreet to tell you what it's worth?

Can't you and the buyer (or if you are the buyer... can't you and the seller) agree

upon a price using 9.2 as a guide?

Are you even sure it's a 9.4? Will the person you sell it to believe your raw skills?

Can you convince them to pay you an amount above the Overstreet 9.2 price?

This is why an Overstreet annual book would be used as a GUIDE only...

What else should they do? Raw 9.4s are extremely volatile because:

1) Who believes a raw 9.4 is a true 9.4? The seller? Does the buyer really believe it?

2) Clearly Overstreet isn't attempting to print CGC 9.4 prices on a yearly basis.

(Yearly would be a ridiculous way to follow CGC prices...)

So why should they attempt to print raw 9.4 (that is, true raw 9.4 --see #1) prices

on a yearly basis?

If it hasn't worked very well in the past... why continue?

Here's my beef...

I don't use the guide for ANYTHING if I'm selling. It's useless.

The only time the guide comes into play is when I'm BUYING at a Con or a LCS.

For example...The Shops I visit use the OS guide for the price.

If they are selling a book that both they and I believe to be in 9.4 condition...

1) Presently, they use the 9.4 price in OS.

2) In a month when there is only a 9.2 price, they can make up what they want for it.

I don't mind having a "guide" price that a shop sells by.

When the shop can now just make up what they want for it, I can see them loosing a sale, and me losing out on a book I possibly would have bought.

For example, lets say a comic has a $200 price in 9.2...

Lets also say the 9.4 price would have (or was) $225, and this is a price I would have normally paid for the comic.

Guy looks up the book and puts a price of $300 or even $400 on the raw book.

Mind you...this is a book that is NOT listed in the OMPOS, so there is no way to know if it is priced fairly or not.

Needless to say, there will be a LOT of these cases where I pass on the book, when I normally would have bought it.

Normally when I buy a book at a LCS, I've researched it enough to know when the price is in line with what it is actually worth.

If they can make up their own multiple of the new 9.2 price, I can see books being off priced by quite a bit.

True value of a 9.4 of one book will be a different 9.2 multiple than the value of another.

It just makes the OS guide usless for the one thing that I used it for.

I thought the OMPOS was for pricing GRADED books!

I'm NOT going to start paying GRADED PRICES for RAW BOOKS!

Here's my beef...

I don't use the guide for ANYTHING if I'm selling. It's useless.

The only time the guide comes into play is when I'm BUYING at a Con or a LCS.

For example...The Shops I visit use the OS guide for the price.

If they are selling a book that both they and I believe to be in 9.4 condition...

1) Presently, they use the 9.4 price in OS.

2) In a month when there is only a 9.2 price, they can make up what they want for it.

So, you're presuming that the people you deal with in the future

will attempt to rip you off on raw 9.4s...and this is Overstreet's fault?

If the seller can get more, they should. If they can't, they'll price accordingly.

That's just the nature of a market... nothing personal.

Well Dice, when the guide list was 9.4 you knew how to buy a 9.6...right? Should be no difference buying a 9.4 when the high values is a 9.2!

Sure, for the first few months things many be all over the place but that will calm down by the Summer.

In another thread a forum member (forgot who) said they HATED the 9.2 grade and would rather have a 9.0 than a 9.2 for the same price...better rethink that one! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

One thing is for sure...all my Golden Age 9.2's are now worth a lot more than they were last year!

I'm sure the 9.2 value will be what last years 9.4 value was...plus 10% or so.

Timely

Not attempt to rip me off.

They will now be unaware of what the 9.4 SHOULD be priced at.

As I said before...the multiple for the 9.4 price on one book will not be the same multiple on another book.

So how do they (or I) know?

OS is cutting it out because the OMPOS gives prices on 9.4 and up.

The OMPOS does not list ALL books. Nor do they list ALL books in a given title.

Not to mention the prices are for GRADED books.

No skin off my [!@#%^&^].

I'll just not buy the OS or the OMPOS, and save myself a little money.

God, help me...I'm thinking about actually buying a Wizard. 893frustrated.gif

Well Dice, when the guide list was 9.4 you knew how to buy a 9.6...right?

This is true. But now we have LESS information to work with, so I have the problem with 9.6 AND 9.4.

Not to mention, buying 9.6 will be even harder now.

Why is it that everyone seems to agree that less information is better?

Like CGC removing the MINUS SIGN or removing the DATE STAMP notes?

Hell, the early Red Label CGC books would have stuff like "COVER SLIGHTLY OFF CENTER".

I rather liked that, myself.

But nobody else seems to mind lack of disclosure.

They can now price [!@#%^&^] at whatever they want to, overgrade it, and not disclose anything.

Hell...Make the OS half the size and only give us 8.0 prices.

That way we can guess in both directions. 893frustrated.gif

Well Dice, when the guide list was 9.4 you knew how to buy a 9.6...right? Should be no difference buying a 9.4 when the high values is a 9.2!

Sure, for the first few months things many be all over the place but that will calm down by the Summer.

I think this quote pretty much sums it up. What did we use to do for a 8.5 or a 5.5? What did we used to do for a 9.6 or a 9.8? Same deal. It's obvious. Now we "know" what a 9.2 is and don't have to figure it out. Hey, no big deal really, now that I have thought about it. What it will do is make our slabbed 9.4 books priced higher than before (I think). Great for a seller, bad for a buyer. No biggie. I think they may have been better off with a larger spread though as 9.0 and 9.2 are very close. But the guide will point out how big a 0.2 difference can be, thus increasing seller's desires for getting that extra 0.2 any way they can .----Sid