• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the key issues for a horror collector?

31 posts in this topic

Marvel Spotlight #2 (1st Werewolf by Night)

Marvel Spotlight #5 (1st Ghost Rider)

Marvel Spotlight #12 (1st Son of Satan)

Son of Satan #1

Werewolf by Night #1

Tomb of Dracula #1

Tomb of Dracula #10 (1st Blade)

Frankenstein #1

Fear #10 (Man-Thing)

Man-Thing #1

Ghost Rider #1

--Phil

Son of Satan #1

Werewolf by Night #1

Tomb of Dracula #1

Frankenstein #1

Fear #10 (Man-Thing)

Man-Thing #1

Ghost Rider #1

--Phil

Good list! I think we could add the following:

Fear# 20 1st solo Morbius

Supernatural Thrillers #5 1st Living Mummy

Tales of the Zombie 1 - 1st Bronze Age Simon Garth / Marvel Zombie

(Actually a reintroduction of a pre-Code character from Menace 5.)

Son of Satan #1

Werewolf by Night #1

Tomb of Dracula #1

Frankenstein #1

Fear #10 (Man-Thing)

Man-Thing #1

Ghost Rider #1

--Phil

Good list! I think we could add the following:

Fear# 20 1st solo Morbius

Supernatural Thrillers #5 1st Living Mummy

:applause:

Well, if you're REALLY collecting horror comics and not the monster mags, my list would be:

HOS #81 (new direction, Adams cover)

HOM #174 (new direction for series)

HOM #179 (Wrightson 1st work, killer Adams art)

I'd also count all of the #1s from the DC titles. Thanfully, horror comics don't suffer from "key syndrome" which keeps them very affordable.

Well, if you're REALLY collecting horror comics and not the monster mags,

Savage Tales 1 - origin and first appearance of Man-Thing

I've always considered Savage Tales a sword-and-sorcery / super-hero title (or jungle, as GCD refers to it ), having stories which primarily feature Conan and Ka-Zar. (shrug)

HOS #81 (new direction, Adams cover)

HOM #174 (new direction for series)

HOM #179 (Wrightson 1st work, killer Adams art)

HOM 174 May-June 1968... Isn't this late Silver rather than Bronze? hm I've never been particularly interested in having a copy of this book because it's basically a reprint comic, despite having the new direction logo and a more modern cover art style. I didn't mention the others because I think of them as borderline examples as well. (shrug)

Personal taste, anyway - that's all. :) I prefer a lot of the books that were published after the Comics Code became less restrictive.

If we were thinking about 60s SA horror keys, I'm sure some of the first books to be mentioned would be Warren magazines, such as Creepy 1, Eerie 1, Vampirella 1.

Yeah, I tend to wrap up those issues with Bronze. I tend to characterize horror in the anthology format (although even the anthology title tried to keep regular characters around). A lot of the 60s titles under CCA were barely recognizable as horror. To each their own.

I consider the bronze age to begin, for DC horror, with HOM 174, HOS 81, and Unexpected 105... the content gradually got better, and new artists were introduced in the early seventies, but the new direction started with those issues, and those issues were clearly divergent from the SA issues that had gone before.

I consider the bronze age to begin, for DC horror, with HOM 174, HOS 81, and Unexpected 105... the content gradually got better, and new artists were introduced in the early seventies, but the new direction started with those issues, and those issues were clearly divergent from the SA issues that had gone before.
It's a fair point. (thumbs u I would pick these up mainly for the great artists, all the obvious ones like Adams, Wrightson and Toth, but for horror stories I'm more focused on the rawer material published after the CCA guidelines were relaxed. Being an EC fan, that's not too surprising. :)