• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upper Deck to chop up rare vintage comics to make trading cards

74 posts in this topic

This horrifies me. Even if in poor condition, once these old comics are gone, they are gone for good. Too many have been lost over the years before there was a strong collector base.

Well, the only positive thing I can see happening is that those copies still in collections will become more valuable.

Yep, on both counts. The second one to a slight degree perhaps...

This horrifies me. Even if in poor condition, once these old comics are gone, they are gone for good. Too many have been lost over the years before there was a strong collector base.

Well, the only positive thing I can see happening is that those copies still in collections will become more valuable.

Yep, on both counts. The second one to a slight degree perhaps...

On a scale of 1-10 how horrified are you ? 1 being a little horrified and 10 being comicdom is coming to an end horrified. How many copies do you think they would have to chop up to influence the market ? 1, 10, 100, 500 ?

If it were panels from Action 1 or Tec 27, it would attract interest. Doubt people would be clammering for panels from SA Marvels, original or not

Spirit goes to the Moon?

The number of people that would even care about that would be directly proportional to the number of surviving brain cells in Snooky's head. The over/under would be around 10

I'm still waiting for someone to start chopping up vintage OA. Someone who can't afford a Ditko page might be able to buy a panel. Why pay for a whole page when all you want is the one panel of Cap busting some AIM goons ? Panels present much nicer, to boot.

I'm still waiting for someone to start chopping up vintage OA. Someone who can't afford a Ditko page might be able to buy a panel. Why pay for a whole page when all you want is the one panel of Cap busting some AIM goons ? Panels present much nicer, to boot.
Great idea ! :applause:

Looks like the value of vintage reprint comics from 1966 like vg Fantasy Masterpieces, GRR, Marvel Tales, Marvel Collector's Items Classics squarebounds, coverless semi-key or key GA parts just doubled thanks to Upper Decks chop-chop project. :devil:

I think that's just an absolute dumb idea. At least with sports collectables, a swatch from a jersey still has some personal tie to the athlete that wore that particular uniform, but this?

They should go one step further & use original art pages. Buy up some classic Kirby or Adams pages & butcher them. Comic book fans will laugh at cutting up comics but original art collectors would scream bloody murder if it was done to original art with historical value.

I think that's just an absolute dumb idea. At least with sports collectables, a swatch from a jersey still has some personal tie to the athlete that wore that particular uniform, but this?

They should go one step further & use original art pages. Buy up some classic Kirby or Adams pages & butcher them. Comic book fans will laugh at cutting up comics but original art collectors would scream bloody murder if it was done to original art with historical value.

UD has sliced up Babe Ruth's bat, pieces of the floor at Boston Gardens,and historic jerseys, bases and so on and so forth. I think they could handle a few OA geeks outrage.

Which is a more important piece of Americana? Babes bat or a Kirby page?

I've seen this done with some Frazetta panels.

Dan

So would you sell them a comic, any comic, knowing they were going to cut it up?

Yes, if UD was paying per square inch so I could parse out the value of the comic. :pullhair: That is why in my earlier post, I was hinting that it was "OK" for UD to chop up vg Marvel reprint comics or just coverless loose parts to GA semi-keys.

A Martin Brodeur gamer from this season at Meigray is $7500. Didn't even make the playoffs this year, bad save % etc etc Yet they want $7500. No kid can afford that jersey ever. I can't afford that jersey. Even if I could its an utter waste of $. This jersey would be an ideal one to chop up imo. You put a special insert in the card pack and hopefully some kid finds it not some dorky 50 year old card dealer.

Any Babe Ruth bat should be kept at the BBHOF. To destroy something like that is insane. If we were talking about Martin Brodeurs jersey that he won a Stanley Cup in that also deserves to remain intact.

I don't agree with the cutting up of OA art at all though. Bats and hockey sticks and jerseys are more plentiful than OA, obviously.

Comics printed in the hundreds of thousands, go nuts. Cut up a couple hundred for all I care.