• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upper Deck to chop up rare vintage comics to make trading cards

74 posts in this topic

Here is the list of issues "they" have cut up for this project.

Amazing Spider-Man #2

Amazing Spider-Man #4

Amazing Spider-Man #6

Amazing Spider-Man #9

Amazing Spider-Man #14

Amazing Spider-Man #18

Amazing Spider-Man #25

Amazing Spider-Man #50

The Avengers #57

Daredevil #181

I am saddened that the intentional destruction of collectibles is a marketing tool that Stan Lee and others would participate in. Of course there are many beater silver age comics books around. But some collectors can only afford beaters. One mans trash is another mans treasure.

They won't destroy enough books to make the ones in our collections go up in value. Only demand does that. Not smaller amounts of supply. If you believe they will go up due to this, I have some beaters I will sell you in your speculative mind set.

I just hope to heck that they use coverless copies first and foremost.

Amazing Spider-Man #2

Amazing Spider-Man #4

Amazing Spider-Man #6

Amazing Spider-Man #9

Amazing Spider-Man #14

Amazing Spider-Man #18

Amazing Spider-Man #25

Amazing Spider-Man #50

The Avengers #57

Daredevil #181

It's a good start! :applause:

There are plenty of folks around here that think having a magic marker signature and in some case a "sketch" on the cover of a classic Silver Age comic is also a form of distruction.

As many of us are so fond of saying "to each his own"!

Actually I have a little different take on this and sort of on the positive level...

I would applaud any attempt to perpetuate the hobby and interest in 'older' comics in general.

Seriously, I have this fear that if the hobby dies, what are these books actually worth? This may not work and it may fall flat on it's face but at least someone is trying something.

Another point... isn't any reduction in the population or circulation of certain books a good thing?I may actually buy a pack or two or three if they were priced right!

You hit the nail right on the head with both points. This cutting up of the comic books creates interest, people will go and try to get these cards to Ebay,people who never read comics willl now at least learn some history of them.

For your point two the reduction of the population is not a good thing but a great thing.

Your golden age and pre-1964 silver age comics that are worth the the six figures are because those comic books were throw out, as while the majority your copper and modern that have been saved,bagged,boarded and hoarded are virtually worthless moneywise because of nobody throwing them out. so good points.

If this is how the majority of comic "collectors" think, then this hobby is doomed. Sad.

so wait. they are cutting up comics. got that. but are they gluing the panels to cardboard? and cropping out any image area when the panels are bigger than a trading card?

werent slivers of bats and threads from shirts small pieces that were encased within in the cards? how will a rectangle of newsprint "become" a trading card?

Actually I have a little different take on this and sort of on the positive level...

I would applaud any attempt to perpetuate the hobby and interest in 'older' comics in general.

Seriously, I have this fear that if the hobby dies, what are these books actually worth? This may not work and it may fall flat on it's face but at least someone is trying something.

Another point... isn't any reduction in the population or circulation of certain books a good thing?I may actually buy a pack or two or three if they were priced right!

You hit the nail right on the head with both points. This cutting up of the comic books creates interest, people will go and try to get these cards to Ebay,people who never read comics willl now at least learn some history of them.

For your point two the reduction of the population is not a good thing but a great thing.

Your golden age and pre-1964 silver age comics that are worth the the six figures are because those comic books were throw out, as while the majority your copper and modern that have been saved,bagged,boarded and hoarded are virtually worthless moneywise because of nobody throwing them out. so good points.

If this is how the majority of comic "collectors" think, then this hobby is doomed. Sad.

Do you care to elaborate for Hibou and myself as to why it`s sad and doomed?

hm

Do you care to elaborate for Hibou and myself as to why it`s sad and doomed?

hm

if you have to cut up and destroy older books to create interest, that is sad and doomed. and there's nothing great about destroying books and saying "well, there's less now, so the remaining copies are worth more."

Amazing Spider-Man #2

Amazing Spider-Man #4

Amazing Spider-Man #6

Amazing Spider-Man #9

Amazing Spider-Man #14

Amazing Spider-Man #18

Amazing Spider-Man #25

Amazing Spider-Man #50

The Avengers #57

Daredevil #181

Not one of those comic books on the list is rare.

If it was Action #1 or Detective Comics #27 than it be a different story.

maybe they can do this to some 1990`s comic books the next round.

hm

I'm thinking that they may not be cutting up actual original issues of those ASM listed but maybe the countless reprints like those in Marvel Tales.

As for the sadness and doom in sacrificing a very small percentage of books in the hope of generating profit... I mean interest... it just may be be worth it in the grand scheme of things.

Also, I agree that demand creates value but often that demand is created by supply... and interest.

Now just who is Dr1970? hm

I'm thinking that they may not be cutting up actual original issues of those ASM listed but maybe the countless reprints like those in Marvel Tales.

That would be even dumber.

As for the sadness and doom in sacrificing a very small percentage of books in the hope of generating profit... I mean interest... it just may be be worth it in the grand scheme of things.

You know what they call people who cut up magazines to sell just the car ads, etc? SCUM - Sellers of Cut Up Material. Apt title.

Someone who's not stupid enough to have money he can't afford to lose tied up in comics.

Someone who's not stupid enough to have money he can't afford to lose tied up in comics.

:roflmao: