• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Upper Deck to chop up rare vintage comics to make trading cards

74 posts in this topic

Actually I have a little different take on this and sort of on the positive level...

I would applaud any attempt to perpetuate the hobby and interest in 'older' comics in general.

Seriously, I have this fear that if the hobby dies, what are these books actually worth? This may not work and it may fall flat on it's face but at least someone is trying something.

Another point... isn't any reduction in the population or circulation of certain books a good thing?

I may actually buy a pack or two or three if they were priced right!

I fine with chopping up low grade comics, but I could really care less. Pieces of keys mean nothing to me (and ASM #2 isn't even a real key).

Leave the OA alone....

I'd be impressed if they were cutting out main characters from key covers

Panels are easy to come by.

Bring on the spiderman in a sealed container card from FF1. :lol:

This horrifies me. Even if in poor condition, once these old comics are gone, they are gone for good. Too many have been lost over the years before there was a strong collector base.

Well, the only positive thing I can see happening is that those copies still in collections will become more valuable.

Yep, on both counts. The second one to a slight degree perhaps...

On a scale of 1-10 how horrified are you ? 1 being a little horrified and 10 being comicdom is coming to an end horrified. How many copies do you think they would have to chop up to influence the market ? 1, 10, 100, 500 ?

I was at 6 or 7 when I thought they meant golden age by vintage comics, Now I am at a horrified level of 2 or 3. On the other hand a horrified level of negative 5 if they were going to do comics from the late 90's, in other words that may not bother me so much.

If they were cutting up REAL key issues then I would be more interested. If they were cutting up first app comics of Batman, Spidey, Superman even Archie then it would create a buzz. Cutting up an ASM 2 not so much. Even the poor condition key comics have a market, not everyone can afford to buy these in high grade.

Putting GU materials in sports cards really jump started a dieing sports card industry. Unfortunately they over produced and flooded the market which hurt themselves in the long run. However as true vintage GU jerseys get harder to find some of these are still carrying a big price tag. Full vintage jerseys, sticks, bats etc are selling for huge money at auctions because the card companies are all bidding on them. It is a really cool concept but I am against cutting up the true vintage GU treasures. There is no way that UD should have been able to cut up Shoeless Joe Jackson bat, it is the only one in existence and the only know gu link to Shoeless Joe. It should have went into the HOF or a museum.

"Hey, no one buys trading cards anymore."

"Yeah, well do you see anyone picking up comic books nowadays?"

"If only we could combine the two, the combined lack of interest could create a black hole and suck in a whole new genre of collectors."

:roflmao:

right what a spoon idea..

but lol chopping upo vintage comics well is there really enough of roy to go around he looks sorta skinny..I mean yeah the hair that will go pretty far..but how many sets could there be it would be a very limited edition.

Actually I have a little different take on this and sort of on the positive level...

I would applaud any attempt to perpetuate the hobby and interest in 'older' comics in general.

Seriously, I have this fear that if the hobby dies, what are these books actually worth? This may not work and it may fall flat on it's face but at least someone is trying something.

Another point... isn't any reduction in the population or circulation of certain books a good thing?I may actually buy a pack or two or three if they were priced right!

You hit the nail right on the head with both points. This cutting up of the comic books creates interest, people will go and try to get these cards to Ebay,people who never read comics willl now at least learn some history of them.

For your point two the reduction of the population is not a good thing but a great thing.

Your golden age and pre-1964 silver age comics that are worth the the six figures are because those comic books were throw out, as while the majority your copper and modern that have been saved,bagged,boarded and hoarded are virtually worthless moneywise because of nobody throwing them out. so good points.