• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mycomicshop.com - bizarre e-mail to "verify" information ??

40 posts in this topic

It is an attempt by our order processing staff to be really vigilant about preventing credit card fraud. However, I agree that the communication needs to be changed (shouldn't be asking for the password, for one thing). I also think they're being overly careful in that some orders that shouldn't require any additional scrutiny are being handled in this manner.

I actually brought this topic up in a staff meeting we had on Tuesday--not this specific order, but this topic. It was agreed that we'd dial this back some. I'll review this further and make sure we're following through, and check on any needed changes to our communication.

Conan Saunders

Lead Developer & Consignment Director

mycomicshop

512-240-2802

conan@mycomicshop.com

Good stuff! (thumbs u

Overall, always a pleasure working with mycomicshop.com

Hopefully this thread serves as a further constructive inquiry. :)

Ugh. I had the worst ebay experience with them. Apparently, extremely rude customer service is the norm for them. A couple years ago, I bought a whole bunch of cheapy comics (ie. $1-2 items) in a single order. Multiple copies of Fish Police #1 1st printings, Red Fox #1 1st printings, etc. When I received the books, they were all reprints. I wrote them to tell them of their errors. Not a big deal, figuring the total price of them was about $10, and they would just send the correct 1st printings. Nope, they insisted I ship back their wrong books first. So, they expected me to spend more time & money to ship back worthless reprints that no one will ever care about buying. Ever. Told them that was a bit ridiculous since it was their error, and that I was tempted to give them negative feedback (which I'd never done before in all my years on ebay). Lady said that if I give them negative feedback, she would block me from ever buying from them again. I had no intention of ever buying from them again anyway at this point. Anyway, I ended up NOT giving negative feedback, as it was only $10ish worth of books. Yet, I found out later that they STILL blocked my account from buying from them. Their loss. In insisting on extremely poor customer service over $10, they've lost out on $100s, maybe $1000s, since. Dumb dumb dumb. :eyeroll:

Ugh. I had the worst ebay experience with them. Apparently, extremely rude customer service is the norm for them. A couple years ago, I bought a whole bunch of cheapy comics (ie. $1-2 items) in a single order. Multiple copies of Fish Police #1 1st printings, Red Fox #1 1st printings, etc. When I received the books, they were all reprints. I wrote them to tell them of their errors. Not a big deal, figuring the total price of them was about $10, and they would just send the correct 1st printings. Nope, they insisted I ship back their wrong books first. So, they expected me to spend more time & money to ship back worthless reprints that no one will ever care about buying. Ever. Told them that was a bit ridiculous since it was their error, and that I was tempted to give them negative feedback (which I'd never done before in all my years on ebay). Lady said that if I give them negative feedback, she would block me from ever buying from them again. I had no intention of ever buying from them again anyway at this point. Anyway, I ended up NOT giving negative feedback, as it was only $10ish worth of books. Yet, I found out later that they STILL blocked my account from buying from them. Their loss. In insisting on extremely poor customer service over $10, they've lost out on $100s, maybe $1000s, since. Dumb dumb dumb. :eyeroll:

When buying by mail, you need to be prepared to return items you are unhappy with to get a refund. Indeed, it could easily have been their mistake, but it also could just as easily been someone playing games with them.

As a seller, games get played with me far too often - and often on items you would never expect anyone to play games on.

My advice is to not buy anything sight unseen you are not willing to return. The return costs are part of the costs of doing business by mail and are absobed by both buyer and seller. (At least they are with my policies.)

IMHO.

When buying by mail, you need to be prepared to return items you are unhappy with to get a refund. Indeed, it could easily have been their mistake, but it also could just as easily been someone playing games with them.

As a seller, games get played with me far too often - and often on items you would never expect anyone to play games on.

My advice is to not buy anything sight unseen you are not willing to return. The return costs are part of the costs of doing business by mail and are absobed by both buyer and seller. (At least they are with my policies.)

IMHO.

And I would contend that the customer is always right. (I don't really believe that, but it sets up the following...) They could easily see that I had a 100% positive rating with over 300 feedbacks as both buyer & seller, including previous business with them. To quibble over $10 worth of worthless books with no review/exception to the rule is simply poor business. They really came across to me as being too big to care about one customer. And to press my point further, then why block me as if I was the one who had done them wrong? Spite.

IMHO.

And I would contend that the customer is always right. (I don't really believe that, but it sets up the following...) They could easily see that I had a 100% positive rating with over 300 feedbacks as both buyer & seller, including previous business with them. To quibble over $10 worth of worthless books with no review/exception to the rule is simply poor business. They really came across to me as being too big to care about one customer. And to press my point further, then why block me as if I was the one who had done them wrong? Spite.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't in common practice to request that the wrong books be sent back so that the right books can be sent out?

IMO, I see nothing wrong with the way they did things there. However, it seems to me like they could have been a little less rude based on what you've told me.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't in common practice to request that the wrong books be sent back so that the right books can be sent out?

IMO, I see nothing wrong with the way they did things there. However, it seems to me like they could have been a little less rude based on what you've told me.

I understand the practice. Not sure if it's common or not. Don't care really. They should evaluate the situation better if they care at all to retain customers. Mile High sent me the wrong Bone tpb (twice!). And each time, they apologized, told me to keep the wrong book, and shipped the correct one. Well, they finally did. I myself have had a customer say that a package arrived with the books completely damaged by the post office. He paid insurance, but I realized collecting on insurance with the post office is easier said than done. So, I simply refunded his money ($100 worth). Sure, it could have been a scam. Though he seemed pretty sincere in wanting to send me something back in appreciation. I told him not to worry about it. It wasn't worth the negative hit to my feedback for future sales. I evaluated the situation and made a business decision using common sense and good customer service. But hey, if a business would rather sacrifice future business for a pittance because they're completely inflexible with their rules, then that's on them. It's their policy. Plenty of other dealers to spend my money with.

IMHO.

Do I have this correct - you wanted them to send out the first prints while you kept the reprints? You're saying they were out of order but you were not willing to return the incorrect books?

Do I have this correct - you wanted them to send out the first prints while you kept the reprints? You're saying they were out of order but you were not willing to return the incorrect books?

Not exactly. I was willing to ship the books back if they would credit me for the shipping expense. Their error. They should fix it. Not penalize me. But they would not. The books were worthless reprints of books that even in 1st printings were only a buck or two.. And frankly, I didn't trust they would end up sending me 1st prints later either. From the start, I thought it was odd that they would have had so many 1st prints of Fish Police #1. But then thought, hey, they're big and professional and have a HUGE inventory. They know what they're doing. Should have gone with my first instinct there. My guess is that they would have gotten my shipment back and either a) shipped me more reprints, or b) refunded or credited the original $10 (after I'd spent more than that shipping the books back, putting me in the negative with nothing to show for it). So, it wasn't exactly me refusing to ship the books back. And of course, if the books were collectible to others or of some real value, I would have been more inclined to agree to their policy. Again, there's a point where a business should evaluate a situation and realize, for $10, they should just eat the cost of their error and fix the problem in a much more simple fashion.

IMHO.

+1 (shrug)

I'm sure you know it's customary to ship back the incorrect item to receive a refund or the right item. Why would they let you keep the wrong items and send you the right items? You shouldn't assume that no one wants them, nor should you assume you would be allowed to keep them. It's their merchandise. And if you wanted the problem rectified then of course you would have to return them, unless they stated otherwise. Maybe you should have asked about a reimbursement of return shipping?

IMHO.

+1 (shrug)

I'm sure you know it's customary to ship back the incorrect item to receive a refund or the right item. Why would they let you keep the wrong items and send you the right items? You shouldn't assume that no one wants them, nor should you assume you would be allowed to keep them. It's their merchandise. And if you wanted the problem rectified then of course you would have to return them, unless they stated otherwise. Maybe you should have asked about a reimbursement of return shipping?

+1 Agreed. MCS should have paid the return shipping. You still should have sent the books back. They weren't yours.

IMHO.

+1 (shrug)

I answered your question/suggestion just as you wrote this. Yes, I did ask about crediting the return shipping. They refused. Hey, in the end, it's like I said. If you don't want to provide good REASONABLE customer service, then you risk your customers not returning. They chose their policy, which is certainly their right. I chose never to give them another dime of my money. Win win, I guess for both of us?

I'm still mulling over my memories, trying to recollect the exact details. (Wish I still had the emails back and forth.) Again, it's been a couple years since the incident, but I don't want to misrepresent what happened. The more I think about it, I believe they may have told me they would offer something like $5 credit for the shipping. But by my estimate, I would have had to spend a good $10-15 in supplies, shipping, gas & time going to the post office. Just not worth the effort, especially when I doubted they actually had the true 1st printings. So, I tried to reason with them, saying something like you are crediting me $5 for reprint books that are not worth $5. Why not just let those two costs cancel each other out? They were essentially planning to "spend" $5 to purchase back $4 worth of books that would never sell anyway. (Sorry, but you'll never convince me that anyone is clamouring to buy reprints of Fish Police #1 or Red Fox #1, when they can easily get 1st printings for pennies more.) But they stuck to their policy. No returned books, no correction on your order. Not even going to discuss it. Obviously, if the value we were talking about for the books were higher, I would have done it. But considering I would be on the negative end of shipping the books back, and again, quite sure I wouldn't receive real 1st printings anyway, I decided to say screw it. I'll just walk away from the situation and just not shop there again. Not worth the headache. (Not even going to get into my apprehension that they would turn right around at some point down the line and use those same reprint books to sucker some new customer who ordered 1st prints.) Regarding the feedback situation, I think they said if I leave negative feedback for any of the other books that were correct, they'd block me. I decided not to leave any feedback for any of the books, positive or negative. Then, found out a year or so later that they still blocked me. Yes, IIRC, that's the more accurate circumstances now that I've had a bit to ruminate on it further.

Now, again, I understand such a policy of returning books in order to have mistakes corrected. But sorry, in this circumstance, if it was my store, I would have said, "You know what, sir, you're right. Sorry. Our error. Go ahead and keep those reprints. They've been sitting around since the 80s. Give them out to kids for Halloween or something. We'll double-check our inventory to see if we actually have the 1st printings, and get back to you shortly. If we do, we'll mail them to you immediately at our expense. We value your business." :cloud9:

If you have to factor in gas(from a few years ago no less) and time into your shipping charges in order to make their shipping credit sound unfair something is wrong. You could have shipped the books, taken the credit, and ended up gaining $1 on the deal if you worked it into your schedule correctly.

I understand that customer service is your line in this argument but you're basically saying they suck because they wouldn't alter their totally reasonable policy for some crappy books. Think about it.

Also, you were the one to bring up negative feedback, so I don't think them blocking you was all that far out of line. Even if you thought you were being reasonable the truth is you were the one being difficult over the crappy books. I would have blocked you to avoid any future headaches on $10 purchases.

I'm on the store's side on this one, but that's just me.

The more I think about it, I believe they may have told me they would offer something like $5 credit for the shipping. But by my estimate, I would have had to spend a good $10-15 in supplies, shipping, gas & time going to the post office.

Your estimate seems a little high.

Well, bottom line, I thought my suggestion to them had been reasonable under the circumstances. They chose to make correcting their own errors difficult on me imho. We don't do business with each other any longer and are both apparently happy over that fact. So I guess this all doesn't matter in the end what I think or anyone thinks. Moving on. Didn't mean to hijack the thread....

The more I think about it, I believe they may have told me they would offer something like $5 credit for the shipping. But by my estimate, I would have had to spend a good $10-15 in supplies, shipping, gas & time going to the post office.

:D I thought it was actually kinda low. I live in L.A. Everything's more expensive,

Maybe you need to remember the transaction a little better before blasting them on the forum?

Just because Mile High let you keep the wrong books doesnt mean every other seller will or should. They sent you the wrong book, you call them and notify them, they ask you to send the incorrect item back. Once they get they send your correct books out or tell you "sorry, we entered them as 1st prints by mistake. We do not have those books for sale".

The way you described the events in your inital post, I dont blame them for blocking you. It could seem as if you were wanting to keep both set of books.

Did you not have the original box and packing that they sent the reprints to you in? Could you not send them back in that and schedule a pickup from your front door with the post office and knock off some of that $10-15 estimate for shipping you have?

:D I thought it was actually kinda low. I live in L.A. Everything's more expensive,

Does that actually include shipping prices?

They corrected their error to the best of their abilities .You're lucky they offered you credit for shipping at all (though that was a good move on their part since it was their error). Why the heck would you leave them negative feedback? What more do you want them to do? Sure, they could have absorbed some more of the shipping, but that is more of a courtesy than a liability. And I really don't think it would cost $15 to ship three books. You said it yourself - they're worthless reprints that no one wants (which is not necessarily true at all) so why didn't you just send them in an envelope and cardboard for $3-5?

Based on what I've seen, they haven't wronged you in any way apart from them sending you the wrong books. They offered to correct the mistake 'and offered to pay you about what it would cost to ship the books. That's all most of us would expect from big sellers like MyComicShop.

Conan, do you have any thoughts?

I understand where the OP (or whatever the term is for an OP of a new topic within an existing thread) is coming from, and I'm sorry things didn't turn out better.

We have a return procedure, and if a customer has a problem with an order we expect him or her to follow our return procedure rather than telling us how to handle the situation. I agree that we are more inflexible about handling returns than if you were buying from a smaller seller. A large percentage of what we sell on eBay is comics that some might consider "too cheap to be worth sending back"--that doesn't mean we can send out additional comics any time a buyer reports a problem with what they received. There are some buyers on eBay that would take advantage of a looser return policy. Requiring that the books be returned (the "return" in "return policy") lets us evaluate them for ourselves and decide on the appropriate resolution. In some cases, we conclude that yeah, we messed up, and we'll do our best to take care of the problem. In other cases, we may decide that the buyer was incorrect, misinformed, or simply unreasonable, in which case they would still be refunded, but depending on the circumstances we might decide not to deal with them any more.

I understand where the OP (or whatever the term is for an OP of a new topic within an existing thread) is coming from, and I'm sorry things didn't turn out better.

We have a return procedure, and if a customer has a problem with an order we expect him or her to follow our return procedure rather than telling us how to handle the situation. I agree that we are more inflexible about handling returns than if you were buying from a smaller seller. A large percentage of what we sell on eBay is comics that some might consider "too cheap to be worth sending back"--that doesn't mean we can send out additional comics any time a buyer reports a problem with what they received. There are some buyers on eBay that would take advantage of a looser return policy. Requiring that the books be returned (the "return" in "return policy") lets us evaluate them for ourselves and decide on the appropriate resolution. In some cases, we conclude that yeah, we messed up, and we'll do our best to take care of the problem. In other cases, we may decide that the buyer was incorrect, misinformed, or simply unreasonable, in which case they would still be refunded, but depending on the circumstances we might decide not to deal with them any more.

A very professional, well-thought out and reasonable response, Conan. :applause: