• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have no slabbed comics...the reasons are!

60 posts in this topic

The frozen north - Teesside.
:D

I've got distant relatives living in Middlesborough and they seem to like it ;)

Well, some parts of it are posh.

I must have missed those.....

I supposes there is always the posh end of Stockton (Yarm)

Back on Topic,

My main collection is purely raws, however, I'm trying to duplicate my copper age UXM run in slabbed format. I do love a good slab, but certainly wouldn't collect them exclusively.

That said, I do collect Grimm Fairy Tales slabbed, I think it's something to do with the wipe-clean protection for the covers :)

Let's see some of these GFT slabs - start a thread in Modern.

Back on Topic,

My main collection is purely raws, however, I'm trying to duplicate my copper age UXM run in slabbed format. I do love a good slab, but certainly wouldn't collect them exclusively.

That said, I do collect Grimm Fairy Tales slabbed, I think it's something to do with the wipe-clean protection for the covers :)

I posted my first set of subs a few weeks back in "Back from CGC". My next sub will be going off once Dre ships me the Motor City variants I asked him to pick up. I managed to get hold of a couple of copies of each of the C2E2 variants direct from the con and rather luckily managed to flip one copy the naughty variant for a tidy profit. The other copy already has it's bags packed for Sarasota.

As for starting an appreciation thread in modern, I wonder how many readers get past the front cover and actually read them???

Back on Topic,

I posted my first set of subs a few weeks back in "Back from CGC". My next sub will be going off once Dre ships me the Motor City variants I asked him to pick up. I managed to get hold of a couple of copies of each of the C2E2 variants direct from the con and rather luckily managed to flip one copy the naughty variant for a tidy profit. The other copy already has it's bags packed for Sarasota.

As for starting an appreciation thread in modern, I wonder how many readers get past the front cover and actually read them???

Read them lol

There already is a GFT covers thread in Modern - but not a slabbed covers thread.

I only have one in my collection and have only ever owned two. Both were bought here, but I got tired of looking at my Whiz 70 and sold it on ebay for a little profit. I'm a low/mid grade collector and since those usually arent slabbed, they usually dont interest me or fit in my collection. The only one I own is a CGC 2.0 Strange Tales Annual 2 which I bought from Snake Eyes for 1/2 OSPG. I'd buy low grade slabs at half guide all day if I could, but they rarely pop up.

Low grade slabs at half guide all day long, you say? hm

Might have to put that to the test and have a little sales thread :devil:

They're an insurance cost against restoration and overgrading on high-cost comics. If you're not buying high-cost comics, you don't really need slabs, and if you are and you're not buying slabs, the cost "bump" you're referring to isn't really a bump, it's the actual market price people are willing to pay for books in a given condition. Raw books go cheaper because they're a risk of being overgraded or restored, neither of which are anything you usually want to fool with when dropping big dimes on books.Once you've bought a high-cost book and your investment is more safe because of the assurance of quality afforded by the slab and you have no plans to sell anytime soon, crack it out if you wish.

You summed it up great.

(thumbs u

Just found the GFT thread (Can't believe I missed that one).

Back on topic (And apologies for the thread hijack), I agree fully with the OP about the shipping costs too and from the UK being restrictive. A lot of the time it's as cheap to buy a pre-slabbed book from Fleabay as it is to ship your own raw. I learned a truely costly lesson with my first submission

NEVER MIX TIERS

I subbed 12 moderns (Mostly GFT) and one single copy of Fantastic Four 49.

CGC refused to hold the moderns to return ship them all at once. I ended up getting stung for two lots of return postage :(

What we UK boardies need is a single representative in the UK who could co-ordinate, prescreen and bulk ship all our subs off to Sarasota, thus allowing us to share the cost

Hi FT :hi:

Hello - where in the UK are you from?

You name isn't David, by any chance? hm

Flaming Telepath your powers of deduction are first rate :D

That, or you are probably the only comic collector in all of Teesside.

:insane:

Just found the GFT thread (Can't beleive I missed that one).

back on topic (And apologies for the thread hijack), I agree fully with the OP about the shipping costs too and from the UK being restrictive. A lot of the time it's as cheap to buy a pre-slabbed book from Fleabay as it is to ship your own raw. I learned a truely costly lesson with my firts submission

NEVER MIX TIERS

CGC refused to hold the moderns to return ship them all at once. I ended up getting sting for two lots of return postage :(

What we UK boardies need is a single representative in the UK who could co-ordinate, prescreen and bulk ship all our subs off to Sarasota, thus allowing us to share the cost

It's already an option. (thumbs u

What we might actually do is have a three-monthly submission for all those people who want to do it in bulk and save on the shipping. Send out notification about 4-6 weeks before and include anything and everything. hm

back on topic (And apologies for the thread hijack), I agree fully with the OP about the shipping costs too and from the UK being restrictive. A lot of the time it's as cheap to buy a pre-slabbed book from Fleabay as it is to ship your own raw. I learned a truely costly lesson with my firts submission

NEVER MIX TIERS

CGC refused to hold the moderns to return ship them all at once. I ended up getting sting for two lots of return postage :(

What we might actually do is have a three-monthly submission for all those people who want to do it in bulk and save on the shipping. Send out notification about 4-6 weeks before and include anything and everything. hm

I might actually love you :) If you decide to go down this route or want to give it a trial, I'm in - please post details here.

Also (And completely off topic - FT, I sent a mail to you via Comicana about some UXM's)

NEVER MIX TIERS

I might actually love you :) If you decide to go down this route or want to give it a trial, I'm in - please post details here.

Also (And completely off topic - FT, I sent a mail to you via Comicana about some UXM's)

Responded to the e-mail. (thumbs u

Yeah, I think this sort of service is going to be a runner. The first thing I'll need to do is collate a full list of all UK boarders, so that we can send out details and schedules. hm

I've bought two or three graded books over the years but, generally speaking, I prefer to buy raw books. I have to admit to thinking about submitting some as I would be interested to see how my copies of Howard Chaykin's Black Kiss would grade (I have two to three copies of each issue still sealed. FlyingDonut helped me out getting a complete set).

I have a fair number of slabs; ~200??. TBH, mostly because I feel that my books are safer from drops, bends, etc, in a plastic casket than in any amount of mylar and fullbacks