• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

When is it ok to resell

50 posts in this topic

Who was the buyer?

Yeah, let us know so we can change our answers based on personal likes and dislikes.

lol

Seriously though no names will be given. I never posted it for sale. I was going to put it up on ebay, but was contacted before I did via pm asking if I would sell. It was the Agima game system I picked up recently. I'm not out any time or effort on the deal so if he decides not to pay or I decide to sell there will be no names given. I just wanted to know proper etiquette on this situation, not throw anyone under the bus.

To me there's no real cut-and-dry rule of thumb. For example, I rarely ship before a week is elapsed, but I make that clear in the PM process. If this fellow is a newbie with low post count, I wouldn't wait longer than 2 weeks before throwing in the towel. I understand that there are many here who don't check the boards everyday like some of us "hardcores"...but it's just common decency to be thorough and straight forward with a new contact/customer....which this fellow hasn't been. I'd make a note in the original thread that the deal fell through so there's no confusion and then relist, etc. .....you don't owe someone a good "self-fisting"to yourself in the name of board etiquette. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

That's why I have a 72 hour payment rule on my auctions. Now, that rule can be "bent" as long as the buyer is in communication and a deal can be worked out. No commo past that time-frame and it's going to be, "Houston, we have a problem". I'd sell the book if I were you.

I think that it's an unwritten rule here that you need to give the buyer 30 days.

I thought the rule was that you need to give the buyer 30 days to make payment before putting them on the probation list. That's much different than giving them 30 days to pay, and it's certainly different than giving them 30 days to communicate their intention.

I personally don't think 10 days is long enough to re-sell the book. Life happens, if I disappeared for a week or two because of whatever issues. I'd expect the book to be available when I came back, and would be irritated if it wasn't.

If we're talking about an established member, I think you should wait 30 days.

That rule absolutely needs to be changed. You know what would irritate me? Tying up my book for a week or two while you dissapeared. I'd never make someone wait that long to get paid. To be irritated after being inconsiderate is asinine.

A seller having to wait 30 days is ridiculous and if that is the rule it needs to be changed. 14 days is perfectly fair for all involved. I understand that sometimes "life" happens, but in such cases the buyer needs to have a bit of understanding as well. 2c

I think that it's an unwritten rule here that you need to give the buyer 30 days.

I thought the rule was that you need to give the buyer 30 days to make payment before putting them on the probation list. That's much different than giving them 30 days to pay, and it's certainly different than giving them 30 days to communicate their intention.

I personally don't think 10 days is long enough to re-sell the book. Life happens, if I disappeared for a week or two because of whatever issues. I'd expect the book to be available when I came back, and would be irritated if it wasn't.

If we're talking about an established member, I think you should wait 30 days.

That rule absolutely needs to be changed. You know what would irritate me? Tying up my book for a week or two while you dissapeared. I'd never make someone wait that long to get paid. To be irritated after being inconsiderate is asinine.

I'm just saying that if I were the seller, I wouldn't consider re-listing so soon. (assuming we're talking about an established buyer in good standing)

I have found that there's always exceptions to the "rule". Fo instance, the OP was going to sell an item on ebay to pay for his trip to a comicon. He was contacted by someone who wanted to buy it. It's been 10 days, and the buyer hasn't made any attempts to pay for this item. So, the OP is supposed to go the the con without this money in his pocket? I am sure he would have much rather listed it on ebay 10 days ago. Virtually all of my purchases are done strickly through PM's and I can tell you this is not how it works. If I knew someone was listing something on ebay to have con money and I contacted them about selling it to me, I would not expect the item to still be there for me. Instead, I would be looking for a thread about it. (right after I got done sending an apology).