• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Huge eBay scammer

16 posts in this topic

Don't think so. It does look like somebody created an account just to bid on Hulk 181 to save a few innocent souls, neg the seller and warn everyone else about his little game. It wasn't me, but whoever it was my hat's off to them. They certainly did the community a service by stepping up and taking some positive action in nailing this guy. What's funny is he's somehow created two shill accounts with bogus transactions to give himself a couple of positives! Hopefully (and typically eBay does this now) eBay will be contacting all the high bidders and notifying them this guy's been shutdown.

Just to jump into your conversation- I'm a "coin person" crossover who was reading your posts to try and figure out if my "Ren and Stimpy" number 7,8,9 is worth anything (probably not)

I've been burned a few times on Ebay by scamming people. The worst was one guy who created a shill account and bid an auction that he wanted to win up so high that no one would bid against him and then retracted the bid minutes before the end so that the second highest bid (which was hundreds lower it was a dutch auction) won. Another guy sold REALLY fake coins as real ones.

Ebay really doesnt seem to care. You report people and they tell you to call paypal, paypal tells you to call ebay and they both tell you to call the FBI. I applaud the person who created the account to save the unknowing bidders and hope that they will do what some nice person did for me, use the same account to email the high bidders to warn them to retract their bids...

My only advice, pay with your AMEX and dont buy from anyone who wont take a credit card...

As I said before, I know nothing about comics, but Heritage may have a copyright claim against this guy and may be able to sue... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

-Jill

Hi Jill,

I work with a gentleman that deals in coins as well and we sell quite a few through eBay as well as shows, and we've seen what you're talking about. Many times, once the deal is completed it is almost impossible to get eBay to take a proactive stance against a fraudulent seller OR buyer for that matter especially if you're in a situation where the fraud is in regards to the condition of the item or originality of the item. Many of the comics I deal with are low value and for the most part are safe from resto and fraud but it is not uncommon at all to find bogus auctions or auctions where the item is misrepresented, especially when you're dealing with high $$$ comics (for me, that would be any book with a 4 figure price tag or more).

I can tell you that in this case I think my efforts and the efforts of other forumites in bringing this scammer's auctions to eBay's attention did result in a happy ending. While we all don't have the time to run around policing every auction on eBay, I think it CAN make an impact when you report what you know to be a fake auction and then tell others about it so they too can report it. I'm pretty confident that eBay will take notice when they receive mulitiple complaints about the same seller, like in this case.

Ebay is certainly not the most perfect trading and selling forum out there and I'm not sure that there is one. But if we have community members with a positive outlook that care about the environment in which we buy and sell, we can certainly make it a more safe and comfortable place.

My only advice, pay with your AMEX and dont buy from anyone who wont take a credit card...

-Jill

i completely understand your point....food for thought...what about the flip side of this....what if your a seller with a ton of great feedback and the buyer is new....how easy is it for the buyer to reverse his credit charge on you and basically stick a seller once the item is received??