• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circa 1976

121 posts in this topic

I discovered Kiss and turned my back on top-30 mainstream hits and singles for ever and made me a rock and metal fan for life.

Substitute Rush for Kiss and that's me. Without Rush, I'd probably be listening to Gaga and Katy Perry now. :P

1976 is probably my favorite year as well.

I remember it being the longest, hottest never-ending Summer...

We had car-free Sundays where due to fuel restrictions all traffic was banned on some Sundays and kids played soccer on the highway :cloud9:

Due to the uncommon heat there was a water shortage and people had to shower together :D

I got my first skateboard in 1976...in fact everyone got their first one that year as that was the year they were launched.

I discovered Kiss and turned my back on top-30 mainstream hits and singles for ever and made me a rock and metal fan for life.

But I still hadn't seen or knew about US comic books at all....that was a year later.

Friends were everywhere and life was an adventure, it was safe on the streets and everybody I loved was still alive.

I'd like to go back, just for one day to a Sunday in July or August of 1976...

That's about the time I got my skateboard. It worked great if you could find a stretch of smooth pavement. Any small rock or pebble would feel like you were hitting the breaks.

All us kids would take brooms into the street to keep it clean enough to skate on.

Good times.

I had my grandma's French Poodle drag me all over town, the dog was small but strong...I think it would be considered animal cruelty now :eek:

Living near the beach, the boardwalk was perfect for skateboards.

I thought my red plastic with the turned up tail was nice...until I saw a kid on a wooden board with replaceable wheels :o My parents were never able to afford a a decent deck for me...or Vans :sorry:

I also remember watching the fireworks on the news because the US had just turned 200 years... I was too young to fully comprehend, but to this day I'm sure they showed footage of the fireworks above the Statue of Liberty... this was the first time I was "aware" of the United States.

I also remember watching the fireworks on the news because the US had just turned 200 years... I was too young to fully comprehend, but to this day I'm sure they showed footage of the fireworks above the Statue of Liberty... this was the first time I was "aware" of the United States.

I remember Marvel's bi-centennial calander (Kirby/Cap cover) and a big celebration for the US birthday.

1976 Olympics were also held in Montreal, QC.

1976 was sort of my comics "coming of age".

I was six, so Dice would have been my bully if he lived in my neighbourhood.

:fear:

My first skateboard was this exact model. :cloud9:

Mom might still have it out in the garage, but I doubt it. hm

$(KGrHqEOKpIE24gPyk0rBN0pN8soeg~~_12.JPG

Cooler than mine... :applause:

Mine was this il_170x135.240561829.jpg

Wanna trade ? I can add some bubblegum cards and maybe a few Star Wars figures hm

1976 Olympics were also held in Montreal, QC.

I had a (bilingual) 1976 Olympic decal on my closet with the maple leaf and the Olympic rings. Forgot all about that until you mentioned it.

Cooler than mine... :applause:

Mine was this il_170x135.240561829.jpg

Wanna trade ? I can add some bubblegum cards and maybe a few Star Wars figures hm

In an ironic twist of judgment, my grandmother bought that skateboard for me.

Under the agreement that I would ride it responsibly and not get hurt on it. :whistle:

We had car-free Sundays where due to fuel restrictions all traffic was banned on some Sundays and kids played soccer on the highway :cloud9:

Due to the uncommon heat there was a water shortage and people had to shower together :D

I got my first skateboard in 1976...in fact everyone got their first one that year as that was the year they were launched.

But I still hadn't seen or knew about US comic books at all....that was a year later.

Friends were everywhere and life was an adventure, it was safe on the streets and everybody I loved was still alive.

That's about the time I got my skateboard. It worked great if you could find a stretch of smooth pavement. Any small rock or pebble would feel like you were hitting the breaks.

All us kids would take brooms into the street to keep it clean enough to skate on.

Good times.

I'm with you guys on this. A magical, never-ending summer.

For me:

--bought my first pair of Puma Clydes (blue and white) and Levis

--spent a magical summer on the Jersey shore, where I rediscovered comics, and discovered girls.

--like chromium, I ditched Top 40 forever, fell in love with real rock, and couldn't even imagine that a few months later the Ramones and Talking Heads would become the soundtrack to my adolesence.

--A great year for baseball. As a Met's fan, I hated the Yankees, but that summer was a harbinger of the excitement (both good and bad) to come in NY the next 6 years.

--And yeah, despite current events, the Bicentennial was a pretty cool thing. DC's Bicentennial Banners, flags everywhere, and lots of other cool things.

--did I mention I read a LOT of comics.

Ok, this is creepy.

That was my first and only skateboard. My dad refused to let me blow 30 bucks on one, and this fight lasted forever. We had two days of a torrential downpour that summer, and our house was midway down a hill, between neighborhoods. A ton of toys, balls, etc. were washed onto our lawn, never to be reclaimed.

The skateboard was among them. It was sign. I used it for the next 3 years.

Ok, this is creepy.

That was my first and only skateboard. My dad refused to let me blow 30 bucks on one, and this fight lasted forever. We had two days of a torrential downpour that summer, and our house was midway down a hill, between neighborhoods. A ton of toys, balls, etc. were washed onto our lawn, never to be reclaimed.

All the other kids had those lean, slim, blue boards. I had this phat yellow board of coolness.

Nobody could find one like mine. Grandma bought mine while she was on a trip and they didn't sell these anywhere near where I lived.

The other kids would offer trades of great '70s swag for my board, but I never caved in. :cloud9:

I had one of the skinny orange boards with a very slight fin in the back. I grew up on a farm and found out pretty quick that there was no place to skateboard. That's about it for my skateboarding career. I got it circa 1978.

I was only 4 then and not very interested in comics or any other type of printed material except hockey cards. No skateboards in my area, being from Canada we were all obsessed with hockey. I still have most of my old sticks at moms house and I still have all my old OPC cards and stickers.

Ok, this is creepy.

All the other kids had those lean, slim, blue boards. I had this phat yellow board of coolness.

Nobody could find one like mine. Grandma bought mine while she was on a trip and they didn't sell these anywhere near where I lived.

The other kids would offer trades of great '70s swag for my board, but I never caved in. :cloud9:

If it is the same board, mine was about 3/4" of thick indestructible yellow plastic. Thing was a beast.

I had one of the skinny orange boards with a very slight fin in the back. I grew up on a farm and found out pretty quick that there was no place to skateboard. That's about it for my skateboarding career. I got it circa 1978.

You're such a hick. lol

1976 would be up there with my childhood summers(I loved the bicentennial and all the fireworks) ,but if I have to pick a summer it be the summer of 1977,as it was the first summer I discovered Star Wars and the Boston Red Sox.

:cloud9:

Left%20the%20gate%20open.png

Oh boy. Somebody musta left the gate open at the old folks home!

lol

Mine was skinny and lime green, looked sort of like this one except the wheels were clear/whitish and a little smaller.

350_complete-green__19053_zoom.jpg

You're such a hick. lol

I prefer bucolic.

Now I am super cosmopolitan.