• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Circa 1976

121 posts in this topic

Born in 68

Had the poster

Loved Kiss

I was the Gene fan

skateboard

You are my twin!

Out of all my friends that loved KISS, I was the only one that was the Gene fan.

I couldn't understand it. He was the bomb.

There were four of us that were the most hardcore fans. Ironically each of us liked a different one.

We used to have mock concerts in full make up on top of Mark and Kevin's bunk bed stage while we listened to Alive and AliveII. :headbang:

1976...turned 7 years old...I remember my elementary school planted a big rectangular garden with blue, white, and red flowers to become the American flag in the springtime in honor of the Bicentennial.

I only have one memory that I can definitely tie to the year 1976. The town I was living in at the time (New Britain, CT) decided to have a fire hydrant painting contest, in honor of the Bicentennial. I can still remember walking to school and seeing hydrants painted all different colors. Some in red, white, and blue, buts other all different colors. I went online and tried to google the event but nothing came up.

1976 - I was 19 and on the road, traveling across Canada in a rock band. Didn't really anticipate that I'd make a career out of it, but I ended up working as a professional musician for the next 14 years.

Here's a pic from the 1976 east coast leg of our never-ending tour. Me as a hood ornament.

THEROAD.png

I remember that car well. Later that year, in the dead of winter, we were back home on Hwy 401 from a gig in Kingston, Ontario when we heard a huge bang and turned around to see the rear windshield flying through the air behind us. We pulled over and spent ages meticulously replacing the missing rear window with plastic sheeting, taping it in place with grey gaffer (duck) tape. We got back in the car, slammed the doors... forgetting that slamming the door would create air pressure inside the car... which popped the seal on the plastic sheeting. We were so exhausted, we gave up, turned the heat up full, and drove the rest of the way home with the sheeting flapping in the wind behind us.

You have to have lifetime memories from that. I am jealous.

Born in 68

Had the poster

Loved Kiss

I was the Gene fan

skateboard

You are my twin!

Out of all my friends that loved KISS, I was the only one that was the Gene fan.

There were four of us that were the most hardcore fans. Ironically each of us liked a different one.

We used to have mock concerts in full make up on top of Mark and Kevin's bunk bed stage while we listened to Alive and AliveII. :headbang:

Okay, that's creepy because we did the same. We even had one dude who was Bill Aucoin, their manager at the time.

We actually did a song or 2 for our whole school on stage in the 6th grade!

Born in 68

Had the poster

Loved Kiss

I was the Gene fan

skateboard

You are my twin!

Okay, that's creepy because we did the same. We even had one dude who was Bill Aucoin, their manager at the time.

We actually did a song or 2 for our whole school on stage in the 6th grade!

Party on, Garth! (thumbs u

Gene had the better make-up but Ace"Spaceman" Frehley was the unsung hero of KISS!

Because of his pedantic and uninspired guitar playing?

Before the tar and feathers come out - I love KISS. But saying that Ace was the unsung hero of KISS is like saying that Dogwelder is the unsung hero in the DC Universe.

Gene had the better make-up but Ace"Spaceman" Frehley was the unsung hero of KISS!

I think his uninspired guitar playing is probably due to the controlling (stifling) influence of Gene and Paul...really could you work to your potential with those two looking over your shoulder counting the money. Here's some Frehley tracks:

"Shock Me" from Love Gun

"2,000 Man" from Dynasty

"Rocket Ride" from Alive II

He didn't get too write more songs as like Peter Criss he wasn't treated as a full and equal partner by Gene and Paul!...How many lead guitarists have KISS gotten through???

I think his uninspired guitar playing is probably due to the controlling (stifling) influence of Gene and Paul...really could you work to your potential with those two looking over your shoulder counting the money. Here's some Frehley tracks:

"Shock Me" from Love Gun

"2,000 Man" from Dynasty

He didn't get too write more songs as like Peter Criss he wasn't treated as a full and equal partner by Gene and Paul!...How many lead guitarists have KISS gotten through???

Your love for Ace is clearly pure! (worship)

I do love New York Groove, so there is a little slice of Ace love for you.

Summer of '76

My dad was in the military and got a temporary duty assignment to

Korea for a year, so we had to move off base while he was gone. It

was the last carefree summer vacation of my childhood. The final day

of class I remember riding home on the bus and Alice Cooper's "School's

Out" was blaring out of someone's 8-track player. The first few weeks of vacation

were euphoric because the next school year was so far off in the future.

I think the 4th of July holiday was when we started getting an inkling that

the end was coming.

We moved into an apartment complex in Victorville, California out in the

Mojave desert and there were lots of hilly sidewalks in the area, so I spent

a lot of time riding my skateboard. I also hooked up with some classmates

and formed a garage band. We did a lot of BTO, KISS, Nugent or just jammed.

I was also making some Super-8 live animation films.

It was late summer when I was sitting in my bedroom one night with the whirr

of the box fan in the window putting me to sleep that I heard a song on the radio

that would change my life. At night, I could pull in KMET radio station out of

L.A. on my Sansui receiver and I was listening to the Dr Demento show. He said

this next one is by a band bringing back the 2 minute song. It was Blitzkrieg Bop

by the Ramones. I immediately knew that is what I wanted to do.

The things that I did that particular summer stayed with me for the rest of my life.

I played in a bar band while in college, doing Ramones cover songs, I skated in some contests

and had a sponsor for a brief period (Duraflex Skateboards) and I am still playing around

with animation. 1976 was a watershed year for me. :preach:

One word:

Beth

:eek:

I was more of an Alice Cooper guy - at least up until Billion Dollar Babies. It was a quick downhill slide after that. But Love It To Death and Killer were, and still are, brilliant. Glen Buxton was a mighty fine guitar player until he went off the rails.

I also have a soft spot for the first two albums on Zappa's label (Pretties for You and Easy Action).

Alice Cooper "Only Women Bleed" = KISS "Beth"

"Shock Me" from Love Gun

"2,000 Man" from Dynasty

Your love for Ace is clearly pure! (worship)

I do love New York Groove, so there is a little slice of Ace love for you.

A slice is enough for me! (thumbs u

In 1976 I was tearing apart The Comics Buyer's Guide every Wednesday after riding the school bus home and racing to the mailbox. Every other day was sports day!

One word:

Beth

:eek:

I was more of an Alice Cooper guy - at least up until Billion Dollar Babies. It was a quick downhill slide after that. But Love It To Death and Killer were, and still are, brilliant. Glen Buxton was a mighty fine guitar player until he went off the rails.

I also have a soft spot for the first two albums on Zappa's label (Pretties for You and Easy Action).

Alice Cooper "Only Women Bleed" = KISS "Beth"

Those are my favorite Alice Cooper albums too - they rocked :headbang: