• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An alternative to SDCC?

16 posts in this topic

This sounds way too abstract an "unshow" event that will be most likely see a congregation of fist-waving, pipe smoking, ascot wearing, "frustrated with SDCC" artsy geeks to expect any good to come from it.

From the vibe of the messaging for this event, I'd also hazard to guess that setting up as a vendor at trickster with some CGC books at your table will probably only land you a spoofing Pete Townshend photo opp that's sure to arouse Ringfinger sig envy.

yeah mignola, niles, rucka, wrightson, allred and skottie young are too artsy for regular comic joes... :baiting:

it's more of a creator focused event than a comic con. just something different to focus on comics vs what sdcc has morphed into.

if i was in sd, i'd be more into trickster than sdcc. but that is just me.

I think Emerald Con in Seattle is going to be the con to draw the true comic fans away from SD. At least on the west coast. Theres still Chicago and NY comic cons of course

I've been to SDCC twice and the people that go there know that they're in for. Truthfully, after the second day, I had my fill, but SD has so much to offer and the last place I'd want to go is to an un-convention event. Might be a good option for some, but responding to the subject of this thread, I just don't see people booking hotel and flight just to be at this show.

I have been to 21 of these things and seen it grow and grow and grow, and am finally at the point where I'm not having fun anymore. Its just too crowded and although the whole Hollywood thing is exciting .... I find I have to contend with too many other people to make it happen, and that means... mostly .... more money. Sorry.... I love the show, but it no longer needs or wants me. There are zillions of others to replace me attending. :P

Trickster is basically a mercantile pavilion set up to benefit the upper-tier indie comics creators. There's nothing wrong with that.

But when they pretend they're offering a venue that is somehow an alternative to comic con for any sort of artistic or altruistic reasons they are being disingenuous.

And just to one up Senormac I've gone to 31 SDCC's. :)

. And just to one up Senormac I've gone to 31 SDCC's. :)

(worship):applause:(worship)

Thats so awesome !! You must go back to the El Cortez days also.

. And just to one up Senormac I've gone to 31 SDCC's. :)

(worship):applause:(worship)

Thats so awesome !! You must go back to the El Cortez days also.

Yup. I still have my Jack Kirby autographed Eternals #1 to prove it too. (thumbs u

I used to volunteer and work security (you got to find the best parties at night that way).

And I met my wife at Con in 1986.