• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Web of Spider-Man #1 pricing

89 posts in this topic

Sooooo....amid the massacre that was Lonestar's first foray into the public auction scene...along with results reported (albeit without the 3% BP) to GPA...how do y'all feel about it now...?

I didn't check a lot, but what I did check, the prices were an absolute massacre. GPA record lows set all over the place.

June was our third auction, not our first. Our first big monthly auction was in April, and then another in May.

Links to previous auctions

http://www.mycomicshop.com/auctions/list

June was definitely softer than April and May. For the June auction, we experimented with switching formats from auto-extending bids received in the last 5 minutes to using an eBay-style fixed end time. I don't know how much that was a factor, but in my analysis of bid activity I do see a number of auctions that could have gone higher if automatic extension were in place, either due to sniping, or a bidder who kept trying $5 or $10 increments in the final minute but failed to top the current high bidder before running out of time. For the July auction we are switching back to automatically extending the end time when bids are received in the last 5 minutes.

Some prices were weaker than I would have liked, but there were good ones too, including:

Batman #330 CGC 9.4 Sold for $99, GPA high, and higher than any GPA 9.6 sale and all but one GPA sale in 9.8.

Batman #400 CGC 9.6 Sold for $80, second highest GPA sale, second only to a $110 recorded back in 2003.

Godzilla #1 CGC 9.6 Sold for $98, second highest GPA, about double GPA avg.

Hulk #182 CGC 9.0 Sold for $208. Second highest of 101 GPA sales. About double GPA avg.

Iron Man #3 8.5 Sold for $200. All-time GPA high is $100, GPA average is about $85. This book wasn't CGC so the sale won't show up in GPA.

Iron Man #128 CGC 9.4 Sold for $305. Passed the previous GPA high by $105. GPA 12 month average before our sale was $87.

Jonah Hex #1 CGC 9.2 Sold for $175. New GPA high. Previous high $145.

Wolverine Limited Series #1 CGC 9.6 Sold for $130. Highest (by $30) of 53 GPA sales so far this year. About double GPA average.

In the June auction, all the ASM 9.6s and 9.8s from 267 through 400, plus the 9.8 Superman run from #1 to #22 were ours, purchased in a buy of a few hundred mostly modern high grade slabs recently. On average we're coming out just fine.

Sooooo....amid the massacre that was Lonestar's first foray into the public auction scene...along with results reported (albeit without the 3% BP) to GPA...how do y'all feel about it now...?

I didn't check a lot, but what I did check, the prices were an absolute massacre. GPA record lows set all over the place.

June was our third auction, not our first. Our first big monthly auction was in April, and then another in May.

Apologies...

THIRD foray.

And...feeling a bit insecure, were we...? ;)

I'm curious--would there be any boardie interest if I created a mailing list that I would use to send out an email a couple days before the auction ends, listing books remaining in the auction at below GPA prices? It would collectively save a lot of time versus each potential bidder independently having to scour our current auction listings, check GPA, etc.

I see this list serving two purposes:

1) You notice that something you collect is available at a good price. You bid in the remaining couple of days before the auction ends, and maybe you win something at a good price.

2) You know the market well and are looking for good buying opportunities. You see some books currently below GPA and put in a bid that leaves you room to make some money. You win some, you lose some. Books can either be shipped to you, or we can leave the books where they are and you can become the new consignment owner to sell as you wish (fixed price or next auction). There are opportunities for somebody to make some money who knows the market and is willing to put forth the effort. We could be doing that kind of thing ourselves, but we do not bid in our own auctions.

Any interest in something like that? It'd be pretty easy for me to arrange.

Apologies...

THIRD foray.

And...feeling a bit insecure, were we...? ;)

(shrug) I acknowledged June was weaker than April & May, and pointed out some particularly strong sales from June. That seems like a pretty straight forward response to me.

I'm curious--would there be any boardie interest if I created a mailing list that I would use to send out an email a couple days before the auction ends, listing books remaining in the auction at below GPA prices? It would collectively save a lot of time versus each potential bidder independently having to scour our current auction listings, check GPA, etc.

1) You notice that something you collect is available at a good price. You bid in the remaining couple of days before the auction ends, and maybe you win something at a good price.

2) You know the market well and are looking for good buying opportunities. You see some books currently below GPA and put in a bid that leaves you room to make some money. You win some, you lose some. Books can either be shipped to you, or we can leave the books where they are and you can become the new consignment owner to sell as you wish (fixed price or next auction). There are opportunities for somebody to make some money who knows the market and is willing to put forth the effort. We could be doing that kind of thing ourselves, but we do not bid in our own auctions.

I'd be interested.

I'd be interested.

Me too.

Absolutely interested.

There you go. When people see the price massacre, when they sniff blood in the water, and like sharks, come a'circling....and VOILA! Interest spikes, as should prices.

There's no such thing as bad press.

:)