• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

High Web of Spider-Man #1 pricing

89 posts in this topic

Mr. MycomicShop,

I would like to buy some books from your web site BUT I'm hesitant to do so, because I don't know the grade you specify I'm really going to get.

I know you have pictures posted of the books but they're not (to my eyes) fully captured of the book and it's too small.

I called your establishment asking if he can email me a larger scan front and back of the book. He said no, and then I ask him can he look over the book for me to see if the grade is correct, He said NO.

How come your establishment can do that little customer service for me?

Mr. MycomicShop,

I would like to buy some books from your web site BUT I'm hesitant to do so, because I don't know the grade you specify I'm really going to get.

I know you have pictures posted of the books but they're not (to my eyes) fully captured of the book and it's too small.

I called your establishment asking if he can email me a larger scan front and back of the book. He said no, and then I ask him can he look over the book for me to see if the grade is correct, He said NO.

Hi Vane,

What comic(s) are you referring to where you would like to see a larger scan?

Some books we scan individually, some we do not. Comics priced below $10 are usually not scanned. Most comics $10.00 or more have scans, and many books $50 or more have front and back scans.

For example, if you go here:

Amazing Spider-Man #151-200

You'll see that some grades of some issues have a magnifying glass icon next to them. Others don't. The magnifying glass indicates that we have scans available of that specific comic. To see the larger scan, click on the magnifying glass icon to bring up that issue, and then click the "Zoom front cover" link next to the issue thumbnail to show a large scan.

Mr. MycomicShop,

Hi Vane,

Some books we scan individually, some we do not. Comics priced below $10 are usually not scanned. Most comics $10.00 or more have scans, and many books $50 or more have front and back scans.

You'll see that some grades of some issues have a magnifying glass icon next to them. Others don't. The magnifying glass indicates that we have scans available of that specific comic. To see the larger scan, click on the magnifying glass icon to bring up that issue, and then click the "Zoom front cover" link next to the issue thumbnail to show a large scan.

Your scans does not cover the whole book. It cuts out the edges of the book.

That's why I call to ask for a larger scan or have the other person on the other end to check out the book. But they refused to do it.

Why???

Mr. MycomicShop,

Hi Vane,

That's why I call to ask for a larger scan or have the other person on the other end to check out the book. But they refused to do it.

Why???

You're misinterpreting what Conan is saying.

For comics that are priced below $10, Lone Star in general doesn't have individual scans available - they use a generic stock photo which is cropped on all sides. Like this:

http://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/iss/600w/899/78991/6254851_1.jpg

For higher-priced books, most of them have high-resolution, non-cropped scans available. Like this:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/res/catimg_v/5/9/3/22045935_1_L.JPG

Mr. MycomicShop,

Hi Vane,

Why???

You're misinterpreting what Conan is saying.

For comics that are priced below $10, Lone Star in general doesn't have individual scans available - they use a generic stock photo which is cropped on all sides. Like this:

http://d1466nnw0ex81e.cloudfront.net/iss/600w/899/78991/6254851_1.jpg

For higher-priced books, most of them have high-resolution, non-cropped scans available. Like this:

http://www.mycomicshop.com/res/catimg_v/5/9/3/22045935_1_L.JPG

So any books under $10.00 don't even bother, Right?

I'm not sure why you feel the need to be so belligerent, but for the record, if I had tens of thousands of books for sale, I would not scan them all either. The cutoff might be $5 or $2 books, but at some point the marginal utility of having the scans is not worth it. In addition to collecting comics, you may want to try some yoga or deep breathing exercises.

Yes, if it doesn't already have a scan, we do not provide them upon request unless we failed to scan an expensive book. We have millions of comics in stock, and after they are graded and scanned they are filed in secure warehouse storage. They're only pulled out of inventory when they're purchased. For a smaller dealer, it might not be a big deal to pull a $2 comic out of a box from the back room and scan it for you, but for us, there's more effort involved. We've chosen not to provide on-request scans for comics under $10 in order to help keep our prices low.

Yes, if it doesn't already have a scan, we do not provide them upon request unless we failed to scan an expensive book. We have millions of comics in stock, and after they are graded and scanned they are filed in secure warehouse storage. They're only pulled out of inventory when they're purchased. For a smaller dealer, it might not be a big deal to pull a $2 comic out of a box from the back room and scan it for you, but for us, there's more effort involved. We've chosen not to provide on-request scans for comics under $10 in order to help keep our prices low.

MyComicShop,

I understand you can’t scan every book (especially 2 million) but why not have your employee’s double check the book to see if the grade fits before shipping it out? There has to be some kind of quality control in place. I don't want to eat up the shipping cost if I have to return the book.

MyComicShop,

I understand you can’t scan every book (especially 2 million) but why not have your employee’s double check the book to see if the grade fits before shipping it out? There has to be some kind of quality control in place. I don't want to eat up the shipping cost if I have to return the book.

Please. Please. Pretty please.

Tell us what book it is.

Please.

I just made my first purchase from Mycomicshop.com and when going through the checkout process there was wording to the effect that they check to make sure the books are in stock and match the purchased grade. I don't have the exact wording. Perhaps Conan can provide it, but I was under the impression this was part of their process. I was impressed at the number of available shipping options and the free shipping option for $50+. There is also a 5% and 10% coupon code that you can get for signing up for their e-mails.

If an item has somehow been misfiled or damaged and is obviously not in the grade it's supposed to be in, we'll often catch it when pulling it from the shelf, in which case the item would be checked in as "unavailable" and the buyer wouldn't be charged for it.

But when we're pulling and packing orders the level of scrutiny does not rise to the level of actually sitting down and regrading the comic. Our goal is to get the grade right in the first place when we're filing the comic, rather than duplicating the grading step when comics are pulled.

If an item has somehow been misfiled or damaged and is obviously not in the grade it's supposed to be in, we'll often catch it when pulling it from the shelf, in which case the item would be checked in as "unavailable" and the buyer wouldn't be charged for it.

But when we're pulling and packing orders the level of scrutiny does not rise to the level of actually sitting down and regrading the comic. Our goal is to get the grade right in the first place when we're filing the comic, rather than duplicating the grading step when comics are pulled.

i've never had a problem either buying or selling to you guys.

What bothers me sometimes is the lack of brain power some posters on here have when it comes to their site.

In this me first society they dont seem to understand how difficult yet impossible it would be to have an individual scan for a book $10 and under. With the inventory involved it would be all but impossible and no where near cost effective.

Personally they are one of the only larger comic book sites that actually come here and answer questions. How many others that large come here on a regular basis?

With the volume of comics they are selling, they are doing a better job than there competitors of as the internet has evolved in the past 15 years. They have now introduced auctions, another way of expanding there client base. It also takes courage to come on this board and answer some of the peanut gallery questions. Mine included.

Sooooo....amid the massacre that was Lonestar's first foray into the public auction scene...along with results reported (albeit without the 3% BP) to GPA...how do y'all feel about it now...?

I didn't check a lot, but what I did check, the prices were an absolute massacre. GPA record lows set all over the place.