• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The definitive Wolverine moment....

23 posts in this topic

What was it for you?

Comments about Hulk 181 aside, when did you take notice that the lovable Canuck was lots different from the Super Hero norm?

For me, it was one night that I spent with a cousin a long, long time ago in a galaxy far away...

I pulled a comic all-nighter, reading his stash of Bryne/Claremont X-Men while he slept. I was blown away. I had only just recently picked up the X-Men starting around 163 and was eager to find out the backstory.

Like many, Wolvie was my first and favorite X-Man, but the moment when I said 'Now the a$$-kickin' is coming' was in in issue 132, when Wolverine emerges from the sewers beneath the Hellfire Club's mansion...

The baddest mother-f'er in the Marvel Universe had arrived....

yeah, he flosts my boat too, slightly off topic here, but the new Wolvie reboot was starting to suck and I almost cancelled... yikes.. BUT... now its a Marvel Knights book... its gonna be more bad [!@#%^&^] than ever!!

Probably the Miller mini-series. I remember picking up that issue of X-Men with the cover wedding invitation with "Hey elf dont forget the beer" Written on it and wanted the back story as well. The Miller series was just so different and cool and was one of the early "comics arent just for kids anymore" the funny thing was, as a kid I was 8-9 at the time I really like the more serious tone and after that I was a Wolvie fan for good. Cemented when the other famous "I'm the best there is at what I do, but what I do isnt very nice." Anyone know what issue that line first came out in dialogue???

I started with issue #172, Wolvie's wedding (first comic I ever bought or read!) And was hooked from then on. That was a great story arc BTW...Wolvie vs. Silver Samurai in one of the best fights ever drawn (iss.# 173)...plus Rogue's first time helping out the X-Men and the change to Storm! thumbsup2.gif

Think I'll go back and do some re-reading! grin.gif

Oh yes....and right in the middle of iss. # 173 you could still get an X-Men #94 for 60.00 (courtesy of Mile High)! frown.gif Ahhhh, if I knew then what I know now... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I think the first time I really took notice of Wolverine was during the Savage Land epic in X-Men 114-115, where he first slices and dices a Pterasaur, is taken over by Sauron and lays some whoop-[!@#%^&^] on his team mates, and then finishes it off with attempting to ace Sauron, while offering the same fate to Ka-Zar and Zabu after he's done.

"I'll be glad to take care of you an' your [!@#%^&^] cat too!"

Wolverine freeing himself from Mesmero's Circus Act in X-Men 111 was also a compelling scene.

Other than that, I'm with you on the last page of X-Men 132, where he emerges from the sewer.

For me it was the final page of Hulk 180..those "bad-a$$" vibes were flowing from the very beginning as the yellow leotard-wearing masked man from the frightening wilderness of New France pounced at the unsuspecting Hulk. 27_laughing.gif

Only kidding...much love to you Canucks. smile.gif

Origin 1 27_laughing.giftongue.gif

Actually, the 1982 Miller Limited Series was my intro point. My best buddy at the time was reading GI Joe, Transformers, ASM and X-Men titles and let me read his copies...but here I just thought he was a bad boy ninja who couldn't get rid of his Western World ways long enough to win honor and respect from his Japanese buds and get a piece of Mariko (?) confused-smiley-013.gif

and lays some whoop-[!@#%^&^] on his team mates,..

I totally love Wolverine in his early apps, he pops off to Charles Xavier when Chuck is trying to recruit him (GS Xmen 1) and he'd get into it with his teammates, making rude remarks not typical of a team member, stuff that people get fired over nowadays in this sad PC dominated world. Didn't he refer to Cyclops as the "Ol' One-Eye" in one issue tongue.gif27_laughing.gif ?

For some reason issue #109 (I think) stands out. There is a sequence of panels where it appears Wolvies deer hunting and Ororo interferes and an argument ensues wherein Logan explains he was only sneaking up to touch the deer, not kill it. Just a huge character developement leap from what we had been provided previously.

Like many, Wolvie was my first and favorite X-Man, but the moment when I said 'Now the a$$-kickin' is coming' was in in issue 132, when Wolverine emerges from the sewers beneath the Hellfire Club's mansion...

The baddest mother-f'er in the Marvel Universe had arrived....

ajohnbyrne7.jpg

I liked wolverine in UNCANNY X-MEN 442 where he kicked over Magneto's Coffin (I dont beleive he is dead) cuts off toads tongue, destroys the magneto statue and compares magneto to Hitler..

I liked wolverine in UNCANNY X-MEN 442 where he kicked over Magneto's Coffin (I dont beleive he is dead) cuts off toads tongue, destroys the magneto statue and compares magneto to Hitler..

foreheadslap.gif893frustrated.gif

foreheadslap.gif893frustrated.gif

what?

Just because its modern does that mean its not a wolverine moment?

Yeah the sewar is a definign moment but this was a good one as well.

Well, "definitive moments" usually happen very early on, and serve to propel the character into mass market popularity.

Well, "definitive moments" usually happen very early on, and serve to propel the character into mass market popularity.

then whats the cut off point?

'Now the a$$-kickin' is coming' was in in issue 132, when Wolverine emerges from the sewers beneath the Hellfire Club's mansion...

Good call. But as far as his part of a team in the X-Men goes I always liked his fastball specials... grin.gif