• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

McFarlane ASM # 300 Cover Sold Privately

54 posts in this topic

According to a post on CAF, collector Tom Fish has reportedly sold the original ASM # 300 cover art by McFarlane to a European collector for six figures.

Can Tom or anyone else confirm the sale and the amount?

Thanks

Cheers!

N.

Plus "Six Figures" runs a wide spectrum... from 100,000 to 999,999... and if sold in Europe... is that in Euro's or USD?

An interesting and somewhat related question is... "What did the cover original sell for?"

I'm always curious to knowing what art originally sold for that commands high amounts today like those John Byrne X-Men pages, Frank Miller Daredevil pages, Moore/Gibbons Watchman, etc.

So, maybe that might give context to the possibility of speculating... what recently published original artwork that is available today, might be the highly sought after valued artwork of 10 or 20 years from now?

My LCS near Vancouver, BC had the ASM #300 cover OA aggressively priced at about $1,100 Cdn framed when it came out. Too much for a cover that is mostly stat. The OA was personalized to his comic shop so there should still be white out to cover the personalization.

Miller Dark Knight OA pages were again offered at aggressive (for the time) double Miller DD OA pages at SDCC for $800-1,200 range. I turned my nose up at those Krazy prices that may have been the biggest mistake of my collecting life. :frustrated:

My LCS near Vancouver, BC had the ASM #300 cover OA aggressively priced at about $1,100 Cdn framed when it came out. Too much for a cover that is mostly stat. The OA was personalized to his comic shop so there should still be white out to cover the personalization.

Miller Dark Knight OA pages were again offered at aggressive (for the time) double Miller DD OA pages at SDCC for $800-1,200 range. I turned my nose up at those Krazy prices that may have been the biggest mistake of my collecting life. :frustrated:

I have been told that the image of Spidy used on the 300 cover is actually a stat that was inked over by hand to turn the costume into the black costume.

So, maybe that might give context to the possibility of speculating... what recently published original artwork that is available today, might be the highly sought after valued artwork of 10 or 20 years from now?

20 years from now, I would only put money on James Jean published cover paintings (e.g. Fables). Looking back 20 years, hot artists don't always stay hot like Rob Liefeld, Keith Giffen, etc. :gossip:

dont remind me. golden age had a TON of mcfarlane work back then... :tonofbricks:

20 years from now, I would only put money on James Jean published cover paintings (e.g. Fables). Looking back 20 years, hot artists don't always stay hot like Rob Liefeld, Keith Giffen, etc. :gossip:

But Liefeld's work is sooooo good.

:jokealert:

Hard to say. Hot and Good can be mutually exclusive when it comes to modern art.

From the same time period, Jim Lee, Brian Bolland, Romita Jr., Byrne's FF, and a ton more have really solid demand for their work from then...20 years later.

Mcfarlane is different than Liefeld and Keith Griffen. He was a different kind of hot since he really made an impact on Spider-man. When through out 3-4 guys names of artists who worked on spider-man over the years,Mcfarlane's name will usually come up. He didn't have "prefect anatomy" or "perfect storytelling" but at the time he was the hottest thing since the invention of the wheel.

That would make sense since I've seen the 301 cover and it's definitely all original as it's drawn on a piece of paper (not art board).

Does anyone feel that the 301 cover (all original) would fetch more money than the 300 cover (inked over stat)?

I'm just wondering, because the 300 cover is etched in my mind as the definitive McFarlane cover. Even if it was just a collage, 300 would be my favorite, hands down.

For those speculating where all the other McFarlane covers not displayed on CAF are located, a good place to start is with Wizard Magazine / Wizard World's Gareb Shamus.

Of course, he'll probably go the auction route if he ever decided to sell.

Cheers!

N.

don't feel too bad, i was in HS then, no way i would had that much money anyway.

I have been told that the image of Spidy used on the 300 cover is actually a stat that was inked over by hand to turn the costume into the black costume.

I think this rumor is incorrect. The cross-hatching on the bottom of his right foot is different in each cover. If it were a photostat, there would have been no need to white out then re-ink this area.

Also, the spatial relationships between the fingers in his left hand and the background circle are different. His left foot, too.

The linework on the webbing appears to be identical, but not the rest.

For those speculating where all the other McFarlane covers not displayed on CAF are located, a good place to start is with Wizard Magazine / Wizard World's Gareb Shamus.

I saw them all stacked in the corner of his office in the day. A complete blast to look through.

We all have "oh mess why did I pass that up/not buy that" stories from the art world. Anybody want Byrne X-Men covers? I had six. Anybody want Adams Batman covers? I had four. Anybody want Michael Golden Micronauts covers? I had three. Anybody want Cockrum X-Men pages? I had 25 or so. On and on and on. Oh well.

We all have "oh mess why did I pass that up/not buy that" stories from the art world. Anybody want Byrne X-Men covers? I had six. Anybody want Adams Batman covers? I had four. Anybody want Michael Golden Micronauts covers? I had three. Anybody want Cockrum X-Men pages? I had 25 or so. On and on and on. Oh well.

Dumb arse!

:baiting: